(NOAH) "Don't suddenly fight Shiozaki"..."I might pin Shiozaki and cut in front of Kojima", with a bold smile Keiji Mutoh returns to the main


16th May 2022
ABEMA Times

Keiji Mutoh, who has been absent since January of this year due to a left hip lip injury, has decided to return to Pro Wrestling Noah in a match at the Ota Ward General Gymnasium in Tokyo. In his return match, which will be the first time in four months, he will suddenly appear in the main event where he will form a trio with Naomichi Marufuji and Satoshi Kojima. We asked Mutoh, who will fight against first class wrestlers such as Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomiya and Masato Tanaka, about the current situation of his injury and his enthusiasm for his return.

Q: Your return match, which will be for the first time in four months, has been arranged for May 21st at the Ota Ward event. How is your current condition? 
MUTOH: Condition? That's not so good. 
Q: It's not something that started recently (laughs). Fans are well aware that you have continued to fight with a full-blown injury, but what about the condition if your hip joint injury that caused you to miss time? 
MUTOH: That is basically not cured either. It's the same as my knee injury, because the femur and the pelvis are worn out. However, four months ago, my hip joint was filled with water and inflamed. But, since I took some rest, those things have subsided and so it doesn't hurt so much. 
Q: It hasn't healed, but the pain and inflammation have subsided. 
MUTOH: So, if I overdo it again there is a risk of recurrence, but with that in mind I am practicing with my own devising, testing myself as to how much burden can be tolerated. 
Q: When did your hip joint become bad? 
MUTOH: Actually (March 2018), it was when I was being examined by MRI for knee prothesis surgery, the doctor said "Mr Mutoh, your hip joint is not very good either". But at that point my hips were still asymptomatic. It was at the N-1 VICTORY in September of last year that I actually started to think that it was bad. When I was fighting in the league, I was saying to myself "Something is wrong."
Q: It was tough single matches for the first time in a long time
MUTOH: It has been getting worse gradually since then, and in January of this year it felt like a flat tire. 
Q: After being absent for four months, the pain and inflammation subsided, and you decided to return
MUTOH: Well, at the same time I feel like whether I take a rest or not, I don't think I am qualified to be an active wrestler unless I have a match. 
Q: Did you have the opportunity to watch Noah objectively during the four months you were absent? 
MUTOH: I haven't seen that much. In my case, I can't help but care about others because the enemy is always myself. It's a fight with my old age, and it's fight with my injury, and that is more important. However, I want Noah to be a lively ring, and that is where I will return to.
Q: At the 30th April Ryogoku Kokugikan event, how did you feel when you saw Noah up close at ringside as a commentator? 
MUTOH: I was excited to see such matches at ringside, and felt it with all of my five senses. That is why I decided on the spot, "Ok, let's return!"
Q: What do you think about Satoshi Kojima's appearance as "X" and the decision to continue participation in matches? 
MUTOH: I am sure he is desperate too. But, isn't that good for Kojima? I don't know much about New Japan, and I haven't heard much about him in the last few years. When it comes to Noah, the media will pick it up, and so I think it's a good decision for him. 
Q: Of course, Pro Wrestlers have become a hot topic and they have been attracting attention 
MUTOH: That's true for me too, pro wrestling is becoming a hot topic. I have to say that just saying "I am returning", does not mean that I am being interviewed or just taking new studio pictures, this is just a return after a four month break, right? I was thinking of returning more quietly (laughs)
Q: It feels like breaking in a new car
MUTOH: Yes, Yes. It's interesting, because just saying "Return" makes a lot stir and internet articles just by saying that. 
Q: In the return match you will team with Naomichi Marufuji alongside Satoshi Kojima. It is a card where you will fight against the first-class wrestlers, Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomiya and Masato Tanaka. 
MUTOH: I said "Don't suddenly fight Shiozaki", but I am hitting him (laughs). And this is the main event, right? I was just going to come back with a mid card match. 
Q: It can't be permitted when it's a big name like yours
MUTOH: However, if you ask me, I haven't done a single with Masato Tanaka, but I can't lose to Shiozaki or Kiyomiya
Q: At the Nippon Budokan in February last year, you took the GHC Heavyweight from Shiozaki, you have beaten Kiyomiya twice in a single, and even last years N-1 was a time out draw. 
MUTOH: That's why this is a situation where you can bark like "Come On!" or "Cut my neck!" like a wrestler, but that's not the case for me. 
Q: Anyway, the problem is how much you can do in the return match from injury.
MUTOH: I'm desperate too, and so desperation may be the theme of this return match. It may be important to appeal with the content of the match, but as a wrestler, I think it is important to convey a way of life. I think everyone in the world is desperately trying hard now. That is why I am hoping I can express my desperate struggle through pro wrestling, even though my body isn't perfect.
Q: Then, I would like to expect a desperate fight in the return match.
MUTOH: But, if I am really fine on the day, I might take the pin on Shiozaki and cut in front of Kojima!
Q: Depending on your condition, you may steal the right to challenge for the GHC Heavyweight from Kojima (laughs)
MUTOH: I don't know because the match is a living thing. If I think "Go!" I will cut in front of him, because that is a wrestler.

Comments