(NOAH) Keiji Mutoh interview immediately prior to returning on 21st May in Ota Ward


20th May 2022
Hochi News

(This interview was done in three separate parts, I have amalgamated it together into one)

"I don't want to come down from the top"

Keiji Mutoh (59) of Pro Wrestling Noah, will return for the first time in four months at the Ota Ward Gymnasium on the 21st May. Due to a left hip lip injury, he missed the match against New Japan at the Yokohama Arena on January 8th of this year (note, this is incorrect, Mutoh was very much there. Mutoh actually took a leave of absence on February 8th). In his return match, he will form a trio with Naomichi Marufuji and Satoshi Kojima, "The biggest X in history"* and fight against Go Shiozaki, Kaito Kiyomiya and Masato Tanaka. So, how did he he see Noah during his absence? 

Furthermore, "Web Notification" went to the heart of Mutoh before his return about his future, reaching his 60th birthday this year, etc. This will be serialized under the title of "Keiji Mutoh interview immediately prior to returning". The first part is the paradox of Noah, where he has dominated in his 50s. As for Noah matches when he was absent, Mutoh said "I didn't dare watch. It is not something that I could see, because it can't be helped if I got impatient" However, he said that he was checking with "Even when I did watch it, I watched as if I was an outsider, and saw it normally." He also made the impression that, "I think I am doing my best to go in the right direction step by step. In that, it's nice to bring out Fujita (Kazuyuki) and Funaki (Masakatsu), and I am also at the forefront of that, but we have to bring out guys who are younger than those in their 50s". 
Certainly, while Mutoh was absent, Noah was steadily held by those in their 50s at the centre. 51 year old Kazuyuki Fujita had defeated 33 year old Katsuhiko Nakajima at the Nagoya Congress Centre on February 23rd to win the GHC Heavyweight Championship. At that time, 52 year old Masakatsu Funaki defeated 37 year old Kenoh at the EDION Arena Osaka No.2 Stadium on January 22nd and took the GHC National. Fujita relinquished the belt due to Coronavirus infection, and the current GHC Heavyweight Champion is Go Shiozaki, who wears the belt at 40 years old. The ring is in operation with those mainly in their 50s. 

"The situation is really bad. There aren't twice as many young guys. Nowadays the only young guys are Kiyomiya (Kaito) and Inamura (Yoshiki)*. Actually, I like the pyramid type (the structure in age of the wrestlers) but now it's the opposite. The truth is, it's better to have a lot of young guys and a few legends. It restricts me. I have thought that for a long time".

Achievements, popularity, age, character...59 year old Mutoh reigns at the top in every aspect. Nevertheless, he has decided that the current situation is "no good". Is there a self contradiction here? 

"It is a contradiction, but I am at the top, and I don't want to come down. I will resist that. Because I had the GHC belt, I am doing my best while thinking that I have a mission that the young guys can't do."

Mutoh defeated Shiozaki at the Nippon Budokan on February 12th last year, and held the GHC Heavyweight title as the oldest in history. He has won the IWGP of New Japan and the Triple Crown of All Japan, achieving a three promotion championship. Furthermore, on November 13th, he defeated Kaito Kiyomiya and Masa Kitamiya in a tag with Naomichi Marufuji at the Yokohama Budokan and won the GHC tag. Mutoh has the pride that he has continued to move at the top in Japan and the United States, following his debut in 1984 and training overseas. 

"I have never been used up, and that is still the case. However, I am going to be sixty years old on my birthday (23rd December) this year. Should it happen that I have gotten off track, then I am sure I will feel down. That is why I will do my best, and continue to feel like I will be in the main event for the rest of my life."

The 59 year old himself resists hoping for the rise of the young generation, Mutoh at the age of twenty-three, returned to Japan from America with the catchphrase "Lone Space Wolf". In that same period, himself, Shinya Hashimoto and Masahiro Chono fought and struggled with older generations such as Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu and Tatsumi Fujinami in "The Three Musketeers". Based on his own experience, he revealed the points of generational change. 

To the new generation, "If you just prepare, chances will come"

Mutoh revealed that the rise of the younger generation is indispensable for the promotion to take a leap forward, and revealed to the new generation of wrestlers the point of generational change. 

"Maybe it's really easy to reverse (generations). Even if you are a fan, I think it's better to make the people who are watching casually, think that myself, Fujita and Funaki are more boring than the younger guys pro wrestling, because there are many elements that favor the movement of a energetic young body. Maybe New Japan has overcome that."

There is no doubt that the most promising person in his twenties, is Kaito Kiyomiya, a twenty-five year old who has also held the GHC Heavyweight Championship. Kiyomiya participated in the promotion competition match held at the Yokohama Arena on January 8th by New Japan, which has been the biggest match of the year. He teamed up with Mutoh in the main event to fight against Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi. Although he lost the match, his rare talent appealed to many pro wrestling fans, who do not usually watch Noah.  However, there is an impression that the 8th January disappeared in Noah without a title being won. 

"That is not the case, and I think it is like this. To start with, there are a few Noah fans, so it wasn't like all the New Japan fans suddenly came to Noah because they saw him for the first time on January 8th. However, I think that many fans of New Japan didn't know his name until they had seen Kiyomiya in that match. But, a name was put to the face to some extent, and so there was some notice. I think that alone is amazing. So, when a new fan comes to Noah, Kiyomiya must be Noah's guide."

But, what does Kiyomiya need to become a guide? 

"He doesn't have to rush. He is pursuing a path in pro wrestling in a good environment. All you have to do is prepare, and a chance will come. I think it is time to follow the path of pro wrestling to go into the limelight someday. When that comes, only the ones who have prepared can do it". 

"Be prepared to seize the chance" - this phrase was broadcast on NHK'S morning drama "Come Come Everybody". This overlaps with the famous phrase, "Train daily and prepare for an opportunity that you never know when it will come" left by the historical drama actor Ban Kyomuzou, played by Yutaka Matsushige. Mutoh was always watching "Come Come Everybody" every morning. 

"Be prepared, the words the Samurai actor said in the drama. That's exactly right. That's it. You never know when a chance will come. The 8th January was a chance, and you don't know how many big chances will come from now on. I don't know if it's a cosmic scale or a global one, but chances come periodically. I feel like everyone has chance, big or small, and it is important to be able to always develop that. I was also desperate each of every day in some the old days of the 1990s. Some of New Japan went abroad and returned triumphantly, but only that was spotted in a good way. There were wrestlers who were injured and couldn't go. I saw it. There is also ability. In order to be a wrestler who can always exert is strength, it is necessary to prepare. That Kiyomiya thinks in that sense is good, but I am sure he is worried now. That is why it is better to absorb more experiences in various situations."

Experience is not just in the ring

"My theory is that pro wrestling is an art, and that what makes a persons character emerge. A serious person can only do serious wrestling, and it's playful wrestling for a playful person. However, the word "playful" may be bad, but it's fun. On the contrary, seriousness is good, but in a way it is boring. Kiyomiya is a good boy and is serious, but how is he going to have various experience in life from now on? It's life experience. Falling in love and a broken heart, weave it into pro wrestling."

The point of the alternation of generations was to accumulate abundant experience inside and outside of the ring, Mutoh made a suggestion to Noah as a whole.

"People follow people who challenge, not age"

Mutoh made a proposal to further revitalize Noah.

"The young guys are doing their best too. However, there are few young people. Therefore, it is necessary as a promotion to become stronger and to have a system in which young people enter. Anyway, we have to attract talent, but that's impossible suddenly so it's slow and slow."

Furthermore, he stated a review of the training system,

"The rotation of the mechanism of growth must be quick. I saw it on TV the other day that in the past, sushi restaurants trained from washing dishes. Nowadays there are vocational sushi schools, and people who graduate from it in about three months earn Michelin. We have to develop a company called Noah with this system. If the pro wrestling world doesn't challenge that kind of thing, it will always be like me (laughs)."

The important thing is competitiveness

"Anyway, we have to gather more and more talent, because if there are many people, then competition will be created. For example, for Kiyomiya there is no competition now. There is no side without pushing up from below. We grew up different. We were the Three Musketeers, side by side with Hashimoto (Shinya) and Chono (Masahiro) with Ken pushing up from below. Moreover, there was also Choshu (Riki) and Fujinami (Tatsumi). There was a side, a bottom and a top, and we where caught between people. Kiyomiya has it easy, right now, it is only coming from above. The bottom and the sides are more difficult, and I had trouble with Hiroshi Hase and Kensuke Sasaki. He has to have a rival like that. As a promotion, we need to create that kind of competitiveness as a promotion". 

There is only one measure for this. 

"Anyways, I am going to join in more and more. For that reason, there is no choice but to make Noah a promotion that young people are attracted to. There is no choice but to increase the number of young people who are attracted by pro wrestling and want to join Noah. You should go for it. After all like any job, it is attracting talent."

For Mutoh who proposes a revitalization of the promotion, what is his own plan after returning? 

"Basically, the hip injury won't heal, so I have to come up with a plan somewhere, and that feeling is a little painful. However, I am trying to return because I am trying to come to terms with my feelings. How am I going to compromise because it's not going to get better? It was the same with my knees, and now it's the hip joint, but I am always trying to keep my feelings up. But there is nothing good about being tense, so I will do that while I am resting."

Looking ahead to his 60th birthday, Mutoh announced that he will take the "red belt", the GHC National Championship, but will his motivation for the title remain the same? 

"Title matches weren't taught by Inoki, but I don't imagine losing before I do it. You have to think about becoming champion. Do I have the physical strength and energy to fight in a row? I am confident that I can take the belt in one go, but when I think about a title match next month, I remember my body and sometimes I feel that way and sometimes I feel too depressed to do so...people have ups and downs, and I think its better to have ups and downs of feelings on and off."

Unexpectedly, you mentioned your teacher Antonio Inoki. What are your thoughts on Inoki, now? 

"Inoki's way of life was to become a politician in pro wrestling, but I think the idea was for everyone to do politics together with the intention of wrestling. He showed how he lived, and he was Antonio Inoki (for twenty four hours a day because he did it without dressing it up."

Immediately before returning, Mutoh finally said:

"I think struggling is the same not only for pro wrestlers, but people in other professions. People aren't interested in those who are working hard and about to change something, people follow people who challenge, not age. Maybe for those who don't challenge, there may not be much of an interest. So what should I do for the time being? There is only a challenge."

NOTES
*Satoshi Kojima was billed as this as he was a mystery partner. He does not like this term. 
*Kiyomiya is his mid twenties and Inamura in his early 30s. 

Translated from Hochi News (Parts 1, 2 & 3)
Picture credit: Hochi News

Comments