(NOAH) "Deciding the finishing line" - Keiji Mutoh will retire, active until next spring.

12th June 2022
Pro Wrestling DX

MUTOH: What should I say? I said everything in the ring. Any questions? 
Q: Why did you decide to retire? 
MUTOH: Like my knees, the hip has become deformed. Even continuing as it is, the eventually the hip joint itself will have to be an artificial one, and at that point I can't wrestle with hip prothesis anyway. So therefore, sooner or later, I really want to wrestle. I want to continue. But, in a sense, it's a doctor stop, and it's really heartbreaking. There are still a lot of things I want to do. Well, after making a decision, I will retire. However, when and how has not been decided yet*. How many more matches will I have? I just decided to leave and retire, so I am still consulting with Noah about the process of when, where and how. I don't want to get in the way of the original schedule, so I want to announce it little by little.
Q: When did you decide? 
MUTOH: When did I decide? In a sense it was the last match, I knew it when the pain spread and using a technique was difficult. Well, it wasn't just the last match, I am getting inconvenienced in my daily life. I decided when talking to company in the midst of being gradually backed into a corner. 
Q: What do you want to do while heading towards retirement, and who are the opponents you want to do it with?
MUTOH: There aren't many contemporaries, so there is no same generation. It is not overseas either. Well, I still don't know what is going to happen. I don't know who is going to agree, and I can't take my time because all the guys I trained work in different promotions, and everyone has their own affiliation. Even if I decided in good time what I could decide, because even the venue has to be obtained. 
Q: Muta will retire?
MUTOH: The Great Muta will probably not open the gates of The Demon World. Maybe once or twice more. If opened once or twice again, the gates will close and he will disappear. Is that okay? So well everyone, it's not really a statement yet. I still have a few matches, so thank you.


*Noah later announced that Mutoh will wrestle five matches more between here and spring 2023. He will retire after his 60th birthday.

Comments