(NOAH) "I want to fight with memories and young wrestlers", Keiji Mutoh heads down a retirement road suitable for Reiwa.

13th June 2022
Tokyo Sports

The wrestling life of "Pro Wrestling master" Keiji Mutoh (59), has entered the final chapter. Appearing at the joint event by the four promotions Noah, DDT, Tokyo Joshi & Ganbare ☆ at "CyberFight Festival 2022", he announced he would retire by spring 2023. Mutoh had just returned in May after about four months absence due to a "left hip lip injury", but he couldn't move as he had thought and made the decision. Facing the final battle, the pro wrestling genius responded to a direct urgent interview and revealed his thoughts. 

Q: Your biggest reason for deciding to retire, is? 
MUTOH: It's a doctor stop. Honestly speaking, I'm working in a relationship of trust with the doctor, but I am also a pro wrestler, so I thought I would be allowed to "break the rules" within five counts*. For example, I did the Moonsault (at CyberFight Festival last year), which was I was told was "You can't do that", however, it's not just the rules of the world of pro wrestling...
Q: Why did you set the deadline for next spring? 
MUTOH: I really don't want to quit. I want to wrestle as many matches as I can. What I can save I want to leave to Noah. I want to contribute a little, but I am sure that there are big matches in the future. So, if I had a limited match, it would still be a little draw, right? 
Q: What kind of retirement road do you want? 
MUTOH: I haven't decided anything yet. Generationally, it's not easy with contemporaries. The venue hasn't been decided. Well, I wish I could create something that everyone would be happy with. 
Q: Who would you like to fight in a retirement match? You used to mention Masahiro Chono.
MUTOH: I am not thinking about Chono right now. Chono seems to be still in bad physical condition. I would like him to come to the retirement match. Overseas wrestlers? No, I'm not over there anymore. Even if I watch American wrestling, I don't know much. It's true. I don't know...however, I want to make the most of my experience. I hear no one had recently retired from Noah, right? 
Q: Certainly, there has been no such thing called a "Retirement Road" in such a big way.
MUTOH: Isn't it? There are a lot of wrestlers now in Noah who are in their 50s and playing an an active part. I want to retire as an example to them, so that everyone can keep on later. I wish I could create "A new retirement road in the Reiwa Era". If wrestlers from outside promotions also participate, that's fine. 
Q: Do you want to fight young wrestlers on "Reiwa's Retirement Road?"
MUTOH: Both with memories and with young wrestlers. Pro Wrestling is memorable, so you have to select carefully. I did it with that guy, so I have to do it with him...who is the opponent I really want to do it with now? That is why I don't have that. Perhaps there is a slight lack of opponents I want to do it with (because of my retirement). 
Q: The goal was to have the red belt (the GHC National) on your 60th birthday? 
MUTOH: I wonder if that is okay? I think the company probably cares about my body. Being a wrestler, I am also worried about Otani's case. If something happens, I also feel like I am going to be an inconvenience. 
Q: Otani's accident influenced your condition? 
MUTOH: There is that, but not just that. My daily life is getting more difficult, and even the hot spring tour with Riki Choshu is getting harder. 
Q: By the way, what will happen to the incarnation of The Great Muta? 
MUTOH: Perhaps the gates to the demon realm will not open, and if it does even once or twice, they will close and I think that Muta too cannot appear. 

PREPARING A STAGE SUITABLE FOR A LEGEND
Promotion wide Noah backs up the decision of the great veteran. 

Narihiro Takeda, the CyberFight director who oversees Noah and has had a close relationship with Mutoh since the days of New Japan, said "We will do whatever we can to create a suitable place for Mutoh to end." Regarding the venue for the retirement match he said, "I think Dome class is possible". A suitable stage will be prepared for the legend who has been leading the Japanese pro wrestling world. 
Regarding the number of matches until retirement, he said "I think it will be about five or six", this will be decided while listening to what Mutoh intends and the judgement of his doctor. Regarding Mutoh himself saying, "I hope this will serve as a model for Reiwa's Retirement Road", Takeda promised "Of course, we will co-operate. We will realize Mutoh's ideas as much as possible".

NOTES
"Within five counts" - if a chair is bought into the ring or if you have your opponent on the ropes, you are allowed five counts of the referee to stop breaking the rules.  

Comments