(ALL JAPAN) Yoshinari Ogawa's Volume

Weekly Pro
2nd September 1986

"There were times when I was completely lost as the other young people were leaving one after another. I am glad that I didn't leave"

Yoshinari Ogawa was twenty when this interview was conducted, had been in the dojo for about four or five years, and was just a year or so into his debut. 

OGAWA: I saw you practicing martial arts, and I was very impressed. You are older than my father? 
Q: Well, lets not mention age. More than that, looking at your practice, I thought this kid would definitely become a pro wrestler.
OGAWA: You see, I really did it with my heart. There were times when I was completely lost as the other young people were leaving one after another. But now I am glad that I didn't leave, and I am deeply grateful to my seniors. 
Q: Futagoyama used to say on TV, "Human sympathy"
OGAWA: Yes, that's exactly right
Q: Looking at your recent matches, I think you have become more passive. How about that? 
OGAWA: Recently, it seems that my body has become accustomed to pro wrestling.
Q: In pro wrestling, you can't get the timing right if you don't get along with your opponent. Recently, there is a wrestler in some promotion, who uses kicks to face, and that's very dangerous. It's okay if you use kicks occasionally, but I don't think that kicks will become Royal Road or Pro wrestling*. What do you think about that?   
OGAWA: Yes, I will listen to what my seniors say and practice a lot, so I can master real pro wrestling. If you notice anything, please give me some advice.
Q: Don't forget your heart.

NOTES
*Futagoyama: Sumo wrestler
*Ironic when you consider All Japan produced Toshiaki Kawada   

Picture credit: Weekly Pro 

Comments