(NOAH) Kenta Kobashi post match interview (March 1st, 2003 - NOAH Navigate For Evolution)


This interview concerns the March 1st, 2003 - NOAH Navigate For Evolution between Kenta Kobashi and Mitsuharu Misawa. Misawa was the champion (for the second time in just over two years, the title having changed hands five times since April 2001), which Kobashi had defeated him for in an epic match. This was the first time Kobashi had defeated Misawa for a singles title. This was also the match with the "sickest bump in history" when Misawa gave Kobashi the Tiger Suplex off of the ramp, so naturally Kobashi is somewhat dazed. Back in Golden Era Noah, there was a custom whereby the champion was interviewed in the ring right after a title match, this doesn't happen now (also note the trophy). Later in the interview, Kobashi starts talking about "globalization". The world in 2003 was a very different place; there was no streaming service, no one had even heard of it, and the only way people got to see Noah was either if they went to Japan or Noah (or roster members) visited their country. Other than that, it was tape trading and chat rooms, so as you can understand, Kobashi had a mission to spread Noah.  
  
Kobashi had returned from a lengthy spell of injury which required knee surgery, and would go on to crown himself the absolute champion with a reign of 735 days and 13 title defenses. The title defense record would be broken by Takashi Sugiura (14), but the length of the reign is yet to be broken by anyone.  
  
Q: You have beaten Misawa for the first time in a title fight?
KOBASHI: Thank you
Q: You endured both the Tiger Suplex to the outside, and an Emerald Flowsion? 
KOBASHI: I don't know what is going on 
Q: How does it feel to wear the Noah singles belt for the first time? 
KOBASHI: It has been long (he means it has been a long time) 
Q: 1 year ago, 395 days, it's been a year since you returned for the first time. 
(Kobashi nods, the audience starts a "Kobashi" chant)
Q: I think the fans coming here have seen true pro wrestling
(Audience applauses)
KOBASHI: There were a lot of different matches today, but I really appreciate everyone who came to Noah today. 
(Audience starts a "Noah" chant)
KOBASHI: Everyone in the arena, everyone on the 1st floor, and everyone on the 2nd floor, thank you very much 
(ZERO-ONE come to the ring with the foreign wrestlers and shake hands with Kobashi)
Q: How do you feel now? 
KOBASHI: To be honest, I can't really think of anything right now.
Q: What are your memories of the match? 
KOBASHI: Scattered. I didn't even know the time. 
Q: You returned all of Misawa's techniques.
KOBASHI: I don't know what, and I don't know what my awareness was, but I think I was able to return something.
Q: What is your impression of having the GHC belt in your hand that appeared during your absence*?
KOBASHI: It's been long (as in a long time coming)
Q: How did you feel watching the battle for this belt?
KOBASHI: That I will definitely return to the ring and go through rehabilitation thinking that I had joined the fight. 
Q: There was something welling up? 
KOBASHI: Yes. When I looked around The Budokan, everyone stayed behind and made a big "Kobashi" call, and a lot of things happened at that time. I remember many things, not just one or two. I couldn't be happier, I'm really happy with the support of the fans. 
Q: You beat Misawa in a title match for the first time? 
KOBASHI: I'm not thinking about it at all. Whether it is a title match or not, it is the result of doing my best. The result is a promise. 
Q: What about the content of the match against Misawa for the first time in three years?
KOBASHI: I don't know for myself, so I hope everyone who watches it will be able to judge it. 
Q: You lifted the Burning Hammer yourself, without using the corner*?        
KOBASHI: I wanted to lift with my own legs (knees). I wanted to lift him up to prove to everyone that my knee was healed. 
Q: What is your aim for the image of champion? 
KOBASHI: Because of the name of GHC, I am aiming to be the supreme champion, and I think that includes the global part. 
Q: After the match, ZERO-ONE'S foreign wrestlers came out.
KOBASHI: Their eyes are full of motivation, and even if that leads to globalization, I will face you as the supreme champion. 
Q: What are your hopes for your next defense? 
KOBASHI: I can't think of that. I can't think of anything about the next, when I am satisfied with the match I just had. 
Q: How does it feel to stand on a new starting line? 
KOBASHI: It's a new starting line. I don't want to let go anymore. I don't want to let go of this belt.
Q: Do you want to make pro wrestling more appealing to the world in a global sense?
KOBASHI: Of course, to do that you have to see what professional wrestling is all about. Today there are K-1 and pro wrestling in various places, but the fact that you chose Noah like this and came to watch standing until there was full house is all for the wrestler's advantage. What we can do is to create pro wrestling that makes all of us pro wrestlers proud. I wanted to put on a match that would make everyone proud to be a professional wrestling fan. 

Notes
*The GHC Heavyweight was created during Kobashi's absence 
* Burning Hammer Corner: Because Kobashi's knees were in poor condition, he initially set the opponent on the corner post.   

Translated from Weekly Pro (c. October 2003)

Comments