(NOAH) Scot Pro Wrestler - Interview with Jack Morris

20th September 2022
Weekly Pro

Q: Since when did you like pro wrestling? 
MORRIS: My older brother, who is three years older than me liked it and used to watch it a lot, so that's the influence from that. At that time, I was about five years old. All the professional wrestlers were superheroes and the actions and characters were amazing. 
Q: What promotions (did you like)? 
MORRIS: WWF. At that time, both WWF and WCW were on TV in England, but I was a WWF fan. 
Q: Why did you become a WWF fan? 
MORRIS: It was my brothers influence. I think WWF was broadcast more than WCW. 
Q: Have you been a soccer player throughout your sports career?
MORRIS: My father was a soccer coach, and soccer was everything in my life. I started playing soccer from an early age, and by the time I was 16 or 17, I joined a Scottish league club called Cowdenbeath as a professional. After that, I moved to a club called East Stirlingshire and spent a total of six years as a pro. My position was striker, and I was good at left kicks, scoring 6 or 7 points in 14 or 16 games in the half season. I think it was about 2014 or 2015, but towards the end of my career, I was plagued with injuries that stopped me from enjoying soccer. So when my contract ended, I thought about looking for a new club, but instead, I wanted to become a professional wrestler, so I made the switch. However, I felt like I could no longer enjoy playing soccer, perhaps the fever inside me cooled down. I wanted to do what I wanted to do, rather than keep doing things I didn't like. The round house kick was made use of playing soccer. 
Q: When you decided to become a professional wrestler, what did you do first?
MORRIS: I went to wrestling school. 
Q: Where and when did you enter? 
MORRIS: It was the West Lothian wrestling school run by Michael Chase. It was 2017. 
Q: Michael Chase was your opponent in your debut match. 
MORRIS: Yes. Michael Chase is a wrestler who has been active in Scotland and England for a long time.
Q: How was it when you tried pro wrestling? 
MORRIS: It was very exciting, interesting and very difficult.
Q: Who was your favorite wrestler back then?
MORRIS: Kane, the Undertaker's half-brother. When I was little he was a huge pro wrestler, and he had so much power. I liked the way he looked, and there was no other wrestler like him. 
Q: You have been watching since you were little, did you ever want to do pro wrestling? 
MORRIS: I didn't think about actually doing it until I was older. I used to play pro wrestling in the living room with my brother though. It was difficult, but once I decided to do it, I thought I was definitely going to do it.
Q: What part was difficult?  
MORRIS: From a technical aspect, I had a strong background in soccer, so ropework and moves were easy. Physically, I didn't have any problems, but wrestling and psychology were difficult for me. How to link the techniques, how to set up the match. how to win the hearts of the audience...those things other than physical ability were difficult.
Q: Is there anything you learned from pro wrestling by playing soccer? 
MORRIS: The Enzuigiri. I am left handed and was good at volley shots.
Q: What kind of pro wrestler did you want to be? 
MORRIS: Not like now, a wrestler who stands out by doing big moves and doing nothing but cool things. 
Q: What happened? 
MORRIS: I wanted to become a wrestler like AJ Styles, who could put on a great match against any opponent. Starting with small promotions, he steadily built his career, eventually reaching the top of WWE. I liked the style of his matches, but I also admired how he built that life step by step. When AJ was young, he gained valuable experience with ZERO-ONE in Japan.
Q: It was a change in thinking
MORRIS: I wanted to be an all-rounder, who could adapt to any situation and put up a good match against any opponent. I was determined to seize this chance. 
Q: You made your debut in November 2017. What kind of career did you build up?
MORRIS: I was having matches in Scotland and England, maybe two or three times a week. Events were rarely held on weekdays. 
Q: You were anonymous until you entered Noah's N-1 VICTORY.
MORRIS: Even in Scotland, the biggest event of the year has about 1,000 spectators. There was very little distribution on the internet, and I knew that I was not well known. 
Q: Did you ever think about joining a big promotion? 
MORRIS: I have been blessed with opportunities so far, but I am glad that I encountered Noah in this way (laughs)
Q: How did you get a point of contact with Noah? 
MORRIS: Because Noah were looking for overseas wrestlers, I sent an e-mail around January of this year. Following that, I received a reply and it was decided that I would be able to come to Japan for the N-1 for the first time. 
Q: How did you feel when you received the contact from Noah? 
MORRIS: I was surprised, and I replied with "I want to go", when I calmed down and thought about it later, I was worried that people would think I was weird for saying that (laugh). What's more, all of a sudden it was the big stage called the N-1. 
Q: How was it when you actually came to Japan?
MORRIS: I was determined to seize this chance. I had no career and was not yet known, but I wanted to prove that I was a wrestler worthy of the N-1.
Q: Do you think you have proved it?
MORRIS: I want to aim higher and higher, and I want to become a wrestler who can continue to take part in Noah for a long time, even though I am still not satisfied yet. 
Q: Which match left an impression on you in the N-1? 
MORRIS: I think it was the match with Katsuhiko Nakajima (19th August). I lost the match, but it was my first Korakuen, and I was able to put everything I had into it, and it was the first time I have been able to switch to a Tiger Driver in that way. 
Q: Are there any foods that you love after coming to Japan? 
MORRIS: Sushi! You can't eat fresh fish at a low price in Scotland. Japanese food is very healthy. 
Q: How is life at the training camp? 
MORRIS: It's extremely comfortable. The culture is completely different from Scotland in a good way, and I've come to really love Japan. Practicing with the young boys at Noah's dojo is stimulating. 
Q: I heard that you participate in joint practice. 
MORRIS: Noah's young people are really good at practicing hard. Neck bridges are almost unheard of in Scotland. I thought that if I joined in, I would be able to further improve myself. Anthony Greene and Stallion Rogers were also doing it. 
Q: Even after finishing the N-1, you are still staying in Japan and participating in matches. 
MORRIS: I'm very happy. I have to prove more and more, and I also want to raise my own value. 
Q: What are you future goals with Noah? 
MORRIS: First of all, I want to win. I want to get revenge on the wrestlers who I lost against in the N-1, I want to challenge for the belt someday, and I want to fight with the A Block wrestlers. 
Q: Lastly, please give a message to your Japanese fans
MORRIS: Thank you for your continued support. I know that since I came to Japan, I have been warmly welcomed on social media, etc. From now on, I will do my best to leave an impression on everyone!   

Translated from & Picture Credit to Weekly Pro 

Comments