"After all, I'm the man who's been with Noah for a long time" - Naomichi Marufuji, on the 25th anniversary of his debut, who named himself as the one to overthrow Jake, talks about his thoughts!


23rd April 2023
Noah.co.jp

Q: Please tell us again why you announced your challenge for the GHC Heavyweight Championship at this time.
MARUFUJI: Well, after defeating Kiyomiya, our young age, and Katsuhiko, who has the most momentum, I thought to myself "Why not me?" Also, personally, this year is the year of my 25th anniversary debut, so in that sense I would like to have a belt. 
Q: What did you think of the GHC Heavyweight title match on April 16th in Sendai?
MARUFUJI: In terms of momentum, I think that Katsuhiko had that, and I think there were many parts in which he could have won, but Jake is big after all. In one blow, you could see that Jake Lee was superior in that regard. It's been about three months since he joined Noah, and he went ahead and won the belt at once. I can't help but admit that I think that he is an amazing wrestler, who has attracted the audience's attention in just three months. A great wrestler maybe? I think it's a matter if course.
Q: Maybe? Does that mean that you it's not clear yet? 
MARUFUJI: I haven't experienced it
Q: Do you feel Noah is threatened? 
MARUFUJI: It figures that I can feel it. It has been a long time since I have seen a wrestler of that size, but I am someone who enjoys that "threat" 
Q: This will be your first challenge for the GHC Heavyweight Championship in two years.
MARUFUJI: I don't feel it, I don't feel it at all.
Q: There are people on social media who have the opinion that, "the current Marufuji can't win", what are your thoughts on this?
MARUFUJI: That kind of thing is not something that has happened to me only at this time. That's what I have been saying for years now. This might be a bad way of putting it, but I know better than anyone. No matter how you look at him, you understand, right? His age, his condition, his career, his momentum. No matter how you look at him, he's probably better than me. However, there are people who believe that Marufuji is the one who can make things happen. I think it's just that I'll show you that I've changed my style many times in my 25 year career, what I can and can't do, my condition, what I can and can't do, that sort of thing. I'm the person I am today because I thought and calculated all of those things in my mind, so no problem. Why isn't he more uneasy?
Q: Do you feel that your physical strength is declining as you get older? 
MARUFUJI: Of course I feel it. For example, if you have been doing the same sport or competition for 25 years, and 25 years from now, won't there be someone who's better than you were at your peak? But showing that kind of style is a pro wrestler and pro wrestling, and some people may think that that kind of talk is a wild dream, but it's certainly true. But if it's 25 years, then I'm creating a 25 year old Naomichi Marufuji. Some things are falling, some things are rising, but my mind is definitely sharper now, so please look forward to it.
Q: Like you said when you made your challenge at the 16th April Sendai event, do you think that Jake Lee can't be left to steer Noah?
MARUFUJI: To be specific, his steering may be interesting, but I have a strong feeling that I have to do this now, so I can't let him take the helm right now. After all, I'm the man who has been with Noah for a long time. 
Q: There was also the phrase, "Even if it's rotten, it's Marufuji", but what does that really mean? 
MARUFUJI: That phrase sums up what I have been talking about all this time, I really wanted to convey it to the opponent. I really wanted him to say, "Even if you're rotten, you're still Marufuji", but I thought he wouldn't say that, so I said it myself. The words came to my mind when I was thinking about how to express confidence in what form and what phrase.
Q: Do you feel the handicap of the difference in physique? 
MARUFUJI: I can only feel the handicap in the difference of physique, and I have always felt that having a small body is one of the complexes for a professional wrestler. But, I've never hated it, and although there may be some physical pain, I have never had the kind of pain like "I'm too small to be good". I'm just the opposite, I think a big man would be more scared than me. 
Q: There was also talk of your 25th anniversary, but is there any difference in terms of mentality in that regard?
MARUFUJI: Of course there is that, but there is also an action that ties it together.
Q: Do you feel that the outcome of this match will affect your future wrestling life?
MARUFUJI: Of course I am going to win, but I'm going to go in a good direction, whether I go left or right. Either way is fine, it's okay to be left or right.
Q: What do you want to achieve after your 25th anniversary?
MARUFUJI: Being a pro wrestler...becoming a pro wrestler...what I can do, what I want to do...it goes without saying that I want to satisfy the customers and meet their expectations, I think it's okay to show a little side of my ego.
Q: In recent years, the theme of "generational struggle" has been taken up often, but what do you think?
MARUFUJI: For example Kiyomiya, Kenoh, Nakajima, I can't afford to have a match with them anymore, but I am at a level where I can do my best and fight. To be honest, in a match that doesn't involve them directly, they may feel something about me, regardless of whether it's an enemy or ally. I think it would be nice to show them something like that, and after showing it, I think it would be nice if we could fight or team up in the ring as a result. I think that this title match will have something to convey to Noah's younger wrestlers. 
Q: What are your thoughts on the concept of "generational change?"
MARUFUJI: Well, it has already changed. To be honest about generational change, even though the same names come up, I am losing to Kiyomiya, Kenoh, Nakajima and so on. However, in terms of why in the public eye the generations haven't properly changed, maybe I am still missing something but I think it's because they haven't changed their image yet. I also felt that way in the past, and my seniors disappeared without being able to change it. But, I would like to do something about generational change properly someday, but this time I'll let them do it, as long as there is even a little demand, I will let them. 
Q: Finally, please give some words to Jake Lee, the champion.
MARUFUJI: Jake Lee, I'm going to let you experience professional wrestling like you've never experienced it before. I will win on that. That's all. 

Comments