(NOAH) The new champion gives Noah a warning! Is it okay to stay as Noah = Marufuji?


22nd April 2023
Noah.co.jp

Q: Please tell us how you feel now that you have finished your first defense of the GHC Heavyweight Championship?
JAKE LEE: As I said after the match, I thought that only Katsuhiko Nakajima could deliver such a precise kick, and I thought that only Katsuhiko Nakajima could give off that presence. That's why the feeling of "unworthiness" is increasing. Perhaps that was the trigger...or rather, it may have been the original plan, but he may be more on the move. I feel like that too. It was that kind of match, or rather, the match that made me feel that kind of Katsuhiko Nakajima. 
Q: How do you feel about actually starting to steer Noah as champion? 
JAKE LEE: It wasn't long after I took the helm, that another storm soon appeared again. It's not like, "Now everyone, please take your place", but that's how I feel.
Q: It looks like they are enjoying the "bad weather"
JAKE LEE: There are many voices like that, and I often hear them. Both the wrestlers and the audience say that they are very excited to be here.
Q: Naomichi Marufuji, the challenger, said "I think I'd get seasick if I was on a boat with you at the helm"
JAKE LEE: Get used to it. This is a different rhythm, and this physique being an unprecedented wrestler. It's normal to feel that way, and he expressed it in those words. Ah, even with those words, Naomichi Marufuji is unique, or rather "a genius". I figures that that is the right word for it.
Q: How did you come to know about Naomichi Marufuji? 
JAKE LEE: I first learnt about him when I was a university student, all my classmates, seniors and juniors around me used to talk about him. I wasn't watching pro wrestling at the time and so since so much was said I took a look, and for me that was the beginning. Someone could move like this, popping things out in the ring one after another. What he said in the ring was also very radical at that time. I thought, "Wow, that's amazing" and, "There are people like this?"
Q: Do you have any thoughts on what you should be careful about in the match against Naomichi Marufuji?
JAKE LEE: What should I be careful about? Me?...I have to be careful...it will come out bang bang bang. Just close your eyes like this, and you'll see many. But that's just the image that I have in my mind, and if I try to do it again, it will change once more. That's why the pre matches are about carefully matching and dispelling it, I guess. I think there are some things that I should be careful about right away, and I think they will change completely. So there you have it! That's why it doesn't come out right away. 
Q: Do you have respect for Naomichi Marufuji? 
JAKE LEE: Naturally. If it wasn't for Naomichi Marufuji, Noah wouldn't exist anymore. The core of Noah and the Genius of The Ark*. He's been at the helm alot, and he's struggled more than I thought. You can imagine it easily, so you should be looking forward to it. You should be looking forward to seeing someone other than myself take the helm, because even now it's "NOAH = Naomichi Marufuji". I want to dispel that. I think that's why I'm still fighting. Of course, I love professional wrestling, and I fully understand that it's my vocation, but more than that I'd like to dispel "Noah = Naomichi Marufuji". You can't put it into words because it's not as interesting. I think it's time to look back on the history up until now.
Q: Naomichi Marufuji will celebrate the 25th anniversary of his debut this year. 
JAKE LEE: I think the 25th anniversary is a turning point, so lets revisit what has been done so far. I want people who haven't looked back and seen the history so far to learn that history with me who is still learning it. He said it in the ring, didn't he? From his own mouth he said, "Even if it's rotten, it's Marufuji", truly, he speaks very well. "Even if it's rotten, it's Marufuji". I think those words say it all. I really thought about that phrase on this occasion. As I said earlier, I'm sure there are parts where I want to get rid of "Noah = Naomichi Marufuji", but I'm in a situation where I have no choice but to appear. I'm the one who is the most concerned about this, right? It's because of the wrestlers around me, who have created this state of affairs, that I said, is it okay to leave it as it is?
Q: On the 16th April in Sendai you made the backstage comment that, "ALL TOGETHER" will be held on June 9th, and I will stand there with this belt. Someone who has just come to Noah...it's not that it's been a while, but rather that it's someone who doesn't know anything yet. Is that really okay? That's not the case, so the Vice President went out of his way, and Marufuji came to me. Shouldn't the other wrestlers be more appealing?"
JAKE LEE: Marufuji said in the ring, "There are a lot of guys stronger than me". Then why didn't they come out? That's what it means, right? The customer probably thinks like that too. I'm really excited to say "Go Marufuji!", but please take a step back and think about it. Despite what Marufuji said, none of the other Noah wrestlers said anything. How is that? Despite what he said. That's why I mentioned, "ALL TOGETHER", but I didn't really plan to say it. But it's no good if it's the way it is now. I don't know if I am just saying words, but I think that what I say will lead to something interesting. 
Q: Is this what it means to steer in the Jake Lee style? 
JAKE LEE: I think it's okay to be perceived that way. 
Q: Finally, please give a message to Naomichi Marufuji.
JAKE LEE: I'll take the helm, don't feel bad, I'll make you feel good too.


Notes
"The Genius of The Ark": Naomichi Marufuji wrote in "Heir to The Ark" that he was actually a little embarrassed by being called this, as he doesn't consider himself smarter than anyone else. He preferred more the "Fujimaru" nickname that came from Jumbo Tsuruta and Mitsuharu Misawa used.

Comments