(NOAH) Interviews with two people in the middle of turmoil: (1) Mitsuharu Misawa


Published: July 11th 2000, Weekly Pro

Note: The title refers to two interviews published back to back, the first was with Mitsuharu Misawa, the second is with Toshiaki Kawada (not translated on this blog yet). The interview with Misawa is slightly fractious. You can tell Misawa was tired from his answers at the start and at the end, he also keeps up his habit of brushing off questions he doesn't want to answer.

Article 

It's been a week since Mitsuharu Misawa held a shocking press conference to announce his departure from All Japan Pro-Wrestling. Even now, there is not a day when I do not see Misawa's statement in the sports papers. In other words, it is attracting so much attention. What exactly is the "ideal pro wrestling" that he himself was doing? Will there be a friendly match with New Japan? Are preparations underway for the launch of business? This is a direct hit on Misawa, the man at the centre of the whirlpool (June 23rd, Tokyo, at Differ Ariake, where the Misawa new promotion has decided to open an office. Photography by Yano Toshiaki, interview by Sato Kei)

Q: Ever since you held the press conference to announce your resignation from All Japan, you've been so busy that you don't have time to spare, have you?
MISAWA: No, I've been sleeping for about five hours.
Q: Is your sleep time the same as before?
MISAWA: Yes, but mentally, though, the depth of sleep will be different if something happens the next day or not. If there is something that must or must not happen, it becomes shallow.
Q: What time do you practice?
MISAWA: I do it. I go to the gym on Tuesdays and even after I get home I go for a run. 
Q: You often have that kind of time.
MISAWA: No, isn't that amazing? Now. 
Q: Various media have picked it up? When a promotion of twenty-eight years has split up...
MISAWA: Oh, yeah. I don't like tradition or anything like that. 
Q: Don't break the base
MISAWA: Yeah
Q: You have already talked about it at the press conference, but let me begin the interview by asking you again about your reasons for leaving All Japan Pro Wrestling.
MISAWA: The biggest one is, of course, Baba. All Japan is equal to Baba, and Baba is equal to All Japan. Rather than destroying the image of All Japan, I don't intend to destroy what Baba has been doing, but change. It would be nice to clean sweep the company and change the image, but, after all, changing Baba's pro wrestling is difficult if the name of All Japan is a burden.
Q: Are you willing to change the shape of what Baba came up with? 
MISAWA: It's not like I'm going to do it just because of that, but I think the fans will take it that way, even if it's misunderstood. 
Q: Since you became president last year, have you had any troubles between presenting your own characteristics and opposing voices?
MISAWA: No, when I became president, the opinions of the fans were more about one wrestler, Mitsuharu Misawa, than about the company.    
Q: Last year, I believe that your character appeared in the five major singles matches of the Budokan event on September 4th, and the cards that were drawn by lottery on the Fan Appreciation Day after that. The venue was full, and I felt that the fans agreed with your ideas.
MISAWA: Uh huh
Q: However, after that, I got the impression that the Giant Series had returned to a regular series, I think something happened around that time. 
MISAWA: Basically, you see, the five major singles and fan feelings are a matter of one day, one match. It's just that if you can't always do that, then the fans won't be watching all the time. 
Q: You felt the difficulty in continuing? 
MISAWA: I'm not the only one, though. Even if you listen to the staff, the employees, and the wrestlers' opinions, if you can't put them into practice, there's no point in asking the President, and that's what happened.
Q: Then, did you feel that it was quite difficult from October?
MISAWA: Well...it's routine, but in the end there are things like "Chankan" (Champions Carnival), and The Strongest Tag, but I had a feeling in my heart that I couldn't do it. It's All Japan, so it's only natural to do what you have to, whether you like it or not, right? But, if you come up with something else that is interesting, then it would be great to come up with an alternative and there was a part of me that thought, "Really?"
Q: I see, so then at the press conference when you announced the reason for leaving All Japan, you mentioned that you wanted to try something more modern. Misawa-san, what do you mean by "modern style" in concrete terms?
MISAWA: I wanted to let them do things freely so that they could bring out the individuality of each person. That's why, on the contrary, when the bell rings to start the match, at that time I think there is a way to produce a smoother transition to it without the strange tension of "Oh, it's a match." Of course the athletes are nervous, but when the spectators come into the match strangely nervous too, there are parts when I get tired even before getting on board. 
Q: Are you talking about the tangible (as in equipment) side of things? For example, building a gate at the entrance? 
MISAWA: Of course, I think that kind of thing is necessary. I don't know about over the top production, but it's necessary to have a simple flair*. 
Q: On the contrary, All Japan has run events at the Tokyo Dome twice so far, and it has started the same way as other shows, hasn't it? There has been no ramp. I think there are alot of All Japan fans who think that's good though.
MISAWA: There are people who say it's good, but I don't think it's bad to be flashy. A simple one would have been better, but it would have been possible to present something that didn't seem right and change it over time.
Q: Your dilemma was that you couldn't make that attempt, or rather, it was difficult.
MISAWA: Even though I presented it, there were some parts that were not accepted. The reason why simple is good is because it is All Japan. So, as it is simply good to ask "Why", but don't change that. 
Q: That's how you came up with the idea of removing the All Japan signboard?
MISAWA: In that case, it would have been better to do what everyone wants to do, even if it is a gamble. I don't know if I'll succeed or fail, bit I am thinking that I'm getting old, and I don't want to have the regret of thinking that I should have done it. So, in the end, it came down to whether I should take the possibility of the future or take the name and tradition of All Japan, so if that was the case, I wanted to take the possibility.
Q: Earlier there was talk of success or failure, but there were a lot of wrestlers who followed because they have the same ideals as you. You must have had a great sense of responsibility not to fail. 
MISAWA: Of course, I feel that my sense of responsibility is much heavier than before. There must have been some wrestlers who put on the brakes because this was All Japan and thought that they shouldn't be doing this kind of thing. For example, when it came to No Fear*, Baba hated that kind of thing. Well, you don't have to try too hard to make it, but I think you should show the real part.
Q: That is also something that you expect from your wrestlers in the future.
MISAWA: That's right.
Q: I would like to ask you about things in the ring. For example, will there be any changes in the content of matches in the promotion you have set up? There is a rule that rope escape can be done up to 5 times.
MISAWA: It's not. Basically, you see, I believe that pro wrestling is anything and everything. If you stick to too many rules, you'll end up becoming an amateur.       
Q: Amateur? 
MISAWA: Professional wrestling is interesting because anything goes, and you are not bound. In boxing, you can only punch, but in pro wrestling you can punch, kick and throw. If there is a rule that is interesting, then we will agree. I think it is necessary to get rid of things that are rigid, but I want to be flexible so that we can be at ease but not change the style too much. 
Q: In today's professional wrestling and martial arts, as seen in Pride's breakthrough and the recent Funaki* vs. Rickson fight, more and more people claiming to be professional wrestlers are participating in mixed martial arts. What about that?  
MISAWA: Even so, over there you will do it according to the rules there, and so you will be bound by rules. In the case of professional wrestling, which is becoming an amateur match, there are elbows. If they were tied down one by one, it would end up in a situation where professional wrestlers would not be able to compete as pro wrestlers. 
Q: Since the framework of All Japan has been removed, there are rumors that you will start working in Mixed Martial Arts, for example by sending athletes.
MISAWA: So if the conditions are right, lets do it. Assuming I was going to fight Hickson, it would be 80 Kilograms for him and about 120 for me, so that would be okay as pro wrestlers don't lose weight to fight. Even if I'm 110kg and Vader is 170kg, we will be competing. That's what makes it interesting, as I said, the same is true for rules.     
Q: Even so, it was said that exchange matches are easier to do than before.
MISAWA: I don't think so this year. I don't think it's the right time to look elsewhere, although I prefer it not to be fixed. 
Q: Then next year...
MISAWA: I don't know. Times change. The trend is changing. Even if I decide to set up a match like that, it won't change with the flow. I want to make decisions as I watch changes, such as how I feel about being an athlete.
Q: It's your consistent way of thinking that you want to value individual feelings. 
MISAWA: After all, I want to produce various things while cherishing the feelings of the wrestlers.
Q: For example, Kanemaru and Marufuji will be participating in AAA (5th July Korakuen Hall), but will you be participating in other promotions in the future?
MISAWA: If it fits my schedule, in this case the people themselves said they wanted to appear.
Q: Do you mean that your idea is that an exchange is when others go out, but you won't allow other promotions to take part with what you are going to do? 
MISAWA: Well, if someone wants to come and participate it's just the opposite, but it will be difficult within the year. Assuming that we are able to launch in August, well, August and September will be one off shows. Assuming that we can go on tour in October and November, this year is going to be over in the blink of an eye. I don't have time to think about this year, and if we are doing it, I don't want to be told that we should be thinking of ourselves.
Q: Kawada has made positive statements about participating in New Japan
MISAWA: I don't care. He decided that himself. I don't know how he feels.
Q: Fujinami, the President of New Japan, has expressed interest in your new promotion...
MISAWA: I've been saying that for a while now, but it would be nice if we could talk to people of the same generation.
Q: With Mutoh, Chono and Hashimoto? 
MISAWA: It would be nice to meet with them and talk to them*, but I think there would be more difficulties, and more on top of that. 
Q: Inoki*...
MISAWA: I don't want things to get complicated. In addition to matches, the company also has events, so I can't be someone you can't trust.
Q: Saying and doing something that makes fans only expect something goes against your principles...
MISAWA: I don't want to do it that way.
Q: On a different note, you said that this action was the end of an era.
MISAWA: Baba passed away and Tsuruta too, the seniors, the great masters, passed away. I also had the feeling that there was no such thing as protecting All Japan. I don't think I want you to protect me when I'm gone. I think you can do what you want. I don't think it's necessary to get hung up on a name, and I wonder if Baba and Tsuruta wanted to protect All Japan one by one.  
Q: Like you said at the press conference, you don't think that your feelings for Baba have changed. When starting a new project, are there any teachings from Baba that must be inherited? 
MISAWA: The most important thing is to have pride as a professional wrestler. Baba had a good sense of not being embarrassed to go out into society, and even though professional wrestlers are still viewed as savages by the public, Baba showed that he was a gentleman. However, regarding Baba, I heard from the staff that while he was alive, he said that if I were to die, he wouldn't be able to do All Japan.
Q: When you say "wouldn't be able", do you mean don't do new things? 
MISAWA: No, in the sense of the name All Japan. I heard it leaked from the staff before he died. 
Q: I think he was saying that inheritance is not necessary.
MISAWA: After all, even people who don't know anything about professional wrestling will always have a sense of what it is like to be familiar with All Japan, Baba, or Inoki. It is said that the image up to that point is pervasive.
Q: So you felt a big gap between that fixed image and your ideal?
MISAWA: This time I want it to be a promotion where everyone's name emerges, giving the feeling that it's not just me, but that each individual is part of this group.    
Q: You have said before that you want to raise the status of professional wrestling. 
MISAWA: I think it's fundamentally important, and I can't get rid of the image that professional wrestlers are still scary or barbaric and so on. It's not something we made, but we have to change it.
Q: By the way, has the name of the promotion been officially decided? 
MISAWA: What should I do? I haven't decided yet. 
Q: Although it has been widely reported, you yourself said this when you appeared on TV.
MISAWA: It was "Noah" that inspired me. Older people don't like it (wry smile), but it's surprisingly good with young people.
Q: What about older people? 
MISAWA: It's not really associated with them, but I don't think it's a good idea to have a Japanese name that sounds like (insert traditional Japanese promotion name i.e. All Japan, New Japan) pro wrestling. 
Q: In Pro Wrestling, I think it makes a big difference whether you add words or not.
MISAWA: If I had to pick one, it would be "Pro Wrestling Noah". I think professional wrestling is the best, and I don't think it can't be done. Japan Pro Wrestling was also mentioned as a candidate, indeed, it would be nice if it was good, but I wasn't feeling it. 
Q: After all, there is "All Japan" and "New Japan", so I thought that somehow having the form of "Japan" would be fixed.
MISAWA: I don't want to be hung up on that kind of thing, if anything, I want to pick it up.
Q: Pursuit of new things?
MISAWA: Yeah
Q: In that sense, the Differ Ariake venue is a perfect fit?
MISAWA: We have it all, the lighting and the vision. 
Q: Is the launch of business battle decided for there? 
MISAWA: Yes. Almost everywhere in Tokyo, there are parts that are on hold over the year, so I don't think it's easy for emerging promotions to use them right away. 
Q: When?    
MISAWA: I'm planning to do it at the end of August, but there are still some parts I'm not sure about. Yesterday (22nd) Kobashi underwent knee surgery, and considering the period of rehabilitation, I don't know how difficult it might be. It figures that at the start there is a feeling of everyone being together. 
Q: The dojo?
MISAWA: There is a good chance that it will end up there, since they said they would let me hire it.   
Q: The space is there, but there is still a long way to go
MISAWA: It's a big building
Q: I heard that the offices will also be there. Will it be from July?
MISAWA: Yeah
Q: So, do you have any idea to use this as a foundation for a larger venue in the future?
MISAWA: I would like to build up strength, and someday use the Budokan
Q: Nippon Budokan? It figures there is an attachment...
MISAWA: There are many big venues, but at the Budokan you can really feel the support. If as many people as possible can have the confidence that they want to see us, and if we can become a promotion that can say that, then I think that the Budokan has done it. 
Q: We also want to see you standing in the ring at the Budokan again.
MISAWA: Yes. We will all do our best. 
Q: Now I would like to ask you about the company organization, are you going to become president? 
MISAWA: I guess so.
Q: Momota-san was in the position of Vice President in All Japan. 
MISAWA: I'm thinking of continuing as it is, leaving the directors as they are with Kobashi and Taue. 
Q: There are many employees who quit All Japan this week, do any of them want to work at your place? 
MISAWA: Young employees
Q: Acceptance*
MISAWA: That's basically it. However, when I was at All Japan, there wasn't an employee I raised from the beginning, and I wondered if there was another way to do it, but to speak strictly, you have to be motivated to do whatever it takes. I need them to have the feeling that if you keep up with it, it will be okay, or if everyone can't, you have to work more than ever with a lower salary than before. Wrestlers also act with that feeling.
Q: I think what fans are most interested in is what will change.
MISAWA: Its difficult because it's something that you can't see, but I have to change your mind. I don't know what will sprout, but it's something you can feel first hand. When it comes to wrestlers, it's directly communicated to the audience, and when it comes to employees and sales, it's reflected in numbers. 
Q: Are there always risks when creating something new?
MISAWA: Unless you don't understand it
Q: It is said that the launch of business will be after August*, but before that you will participate in All Japan in July? 
MISAWA: Well, I was thinking of appearing without any special request.
Q: Kawada and Fucji remained in All Japan, but in particular, Kawada and yourself have been together for a long time, but now you won't be able to fight each other anymore. What are your thoughts?
MISAWA: I get asked this a lot, even by the fans, but you see, we're senior and junior*, and we've been together since high school. Even if you ask if we are on good terms or not, we're senior and junior. However, I don't think that Kawada's personality would get along with mine if we where on the same class together. Since we are senior and junior, I wonder if there is something we can hold on to. 
Q: When All Japan first held an event at The Dome, Baba put Misawa vs Kawada as the main card. I feel sad that I won't be able to see matches like that anymore.
MISAWA: I think that a standout match is something that each and every fan should think about. Who is the best match against whom? It's hard to put into words, but I think it was just the two of us back then. I hope the other wrestlers hear that and say, "Yeah, me too".
Q: Misawa-san, how do you yourself feel about going to the Budokan on the strength of not fighting anymore (i.e. with Kawada)? Kawada released a comment saying that the fight with you was special?   
MISAWA: Something special? 
Q: Do you think that there is something special about the relationship between seniors and juniors from high school days?
MISAWA: Well to me, whether it's with Kobashi or Akiyama, it's all different. It's not that special to me, I just want to have a better match than before. Kawada is Kawada, and as long as he does his best, it is fine.
Q: However, in reality, I think that All Japan is actually in a difficult situation. 
MISAWA: To be honest, I didn't think so many wrestlers would take action after I quit. However, if the name of "All Japan" couldn't be discarded, then I guess they wanted me to stick with the name of "All Japan".
Q: All Japan is better off with a pure blood members*
MISAWA: That's not what people who quit say, and if you ask me the trouble is because of you to that end
Q: On the other hand, what do you want to show with your new promotion? 
MISAWA: Basically, I don't think it will be visible immediately, but it's things like motivation. To put it mildly, I would like you take a long-term view, because everyone has more spirit than ever before, and I think that motivation will definitely work in the right direction. 
Q: To deviate a little, Misawa-san, will you be wearing a new costume? 
MISAWA: Each time I change it, I change it slightly. I don't think that I will make such a bold change, though. 
Q: Green is the color of your image...
MISAWA: That won't change
Q: What about the other wrestlers? 
MISAWA: That's up to the individual. I will leave it to them. 
Q: What will happen to titles in the new promotion? 
MISAWA: Eventually, I'd like to have a competition for the titles.
Q: Also there was a heavyweight title, a tag title, a junior title, and so on. 
MISAWA: That's right. If there are other interesting things, I'd like to think about them, for example, I could create a junior tag.* In the case of professional wrestling, as is the case with NWA, in the end it is the office champion. It would be nice if we could raise the value of the belt in that context.
Q: Besides the belts, do you have any plans for overseas tours for the wrestlers?
MISAWA: It's necessary if the wrestler wants it
Q: You yourself have been to Mexico
MISAWA: I want to grant you what you want, what you need.
Q: Lastly, do you have a message for your fans?
MISAWA: It's become easier to incorporate the opinions of our fans, and I think we'll be able to start as a promotion around July, so I will be in contact. Although there are times when you can't do something like this (laughs). 

ADDENDUM (MITSUHARU MISAWA)
Wednesday June 21st (2000). Tokyo Differ Ariake Mitsuharu Misawa Press Conference, "I will participate in four All Japan events". 

On June 21st (Wednesday) Mitsuharu Misawa held a press conference at Differ Ariake in Tokyo and announced his intention to participate in All Japan's four events in Matsuyama (July 13th), Nanao (July 15th), Toyama (July 17th) and Hakata (July 20th). This was in response to the announcement made two days earlier by All Japan that they where requesting the wrestlers who had resigned to participate in the event which had been organized by an event planning company*. In fact, just after 2:00 p.m on the day of the press conference, a letter of request (which Misawa is holding in his hand) arrived at Misawa's home. In other words, after the press release, Misawa was contacted, and he expressed his displeasure about the matter. As for the composition of the card*, he said in a strong tone, "I'm going to decide on my own". A few days later, All Japan had a discussion with Misawa's side, and announced the card made by Misawa's side. During the press conference, Misawa announced he would be establishing a temporary office in Differ Ariake, and although there is no specific talk of a broadcast from Differ, he wanted to take into account his relationship with Nippon Television and said, "I want to cherish thoughts and care." Also, in response to what Kawada said the other day, "Misawa set the schedule, so I want him to appear", on the preface of understanding, Misawa commented harshly, "If I were to talk about the responsibility of the president, I would say what the vice president was doing.*"

NOTES
SIMPLE FLAIR: As Naomichi Marufuji noted in "Heir to The Ark", New Japan was noted for more flashy production (and still is), while All Japan was much simpler. One wonders what Misawa would have thought of the elaborate CyberFight Festival.  
FUNAKI vs HICKSON: Masakatsu Funaki, who would come to Noah some ten years or so after Misawa's death.
MISAWA ON MUTOH, CHONO AND HASHIMOTO: All would be involved in Noah; Hashimoto's ZERO-1 and Noah would feud, and the relationship between the two promotions continues to this day; Chono would also appear in Noah with Misawa appearing in New Japan (which Chono says he saved) and Mutoh would retire in Noah, with he (and Chono) wrestling their last matches there. 
ANTONIO INOKI: Inoki would never appear for Noah, he died in 2022 some thirteen years after Misawa. 
MOMOTA: Mitsuo Momota. One of the sons of Rikidozan, he was part of All Japan and the subsequent walk out to Noah. He stayed with Noah until after Misawa's death, but appeared occasionally as a freelancer afterwards.
ACCEPTANCE: Basically means to confront the current situation and deal with it and move on. Doesn't really translate well into English.  
LAUNCH AFTER AUGUST: It wasn't. Noah's first show was 5th August 2000, Yasutaka Yano (a Noah Born) was born five days later. 
SENIOR & JUNIOR: Misawa was the senior. 
PURE BLOOD MEMBERS: Native born talent. This could be the closest we have to giving them a name such as New Japan's "Young Lion's" or "Noah's Noah Born"
JUNIOR TAG: All Japan did not have a junior tag (and at the time of writing still does not). Baba did not value smaller wrestlers, and Yoshinari Ogawa only debuted as Genichiro Tenryu pled his case with him. Smaller wrestlers really only began to appear when Misawa took over, but any junior division that might have happened in All Japan after Baba's death happened in Noah due to the walk out. 
EVENT PLANNING COMPANY: The phrase "sales performance" doesn't translate well, but I wanted to put an alternative here to emphasize how All Japan got Misawa (and Noah) to do these four dates. Simply put the tickets, promotion etc for the tour where done by an external event planning company. Had All Japan run it what is known as "handmade show" as they where an indie promotion, they would have done everything themselves in terms of tickets, posters, dates etc. I can imagine that legally, Misawa and the others who had walked out with him, where obliged to appear.   
COMPOSITION OF THE CARD: All Japan fought All Japan and Noah fought Noah. 
VICE PRESIDENT: Kawada had been appointed by Misawa and instead of backing him up, had voted him out. 

Comments