(NOAH) "There was no guarantee on KENTA", Interview with Naomichi Marufuji before 20th anniversary at Sumo Hall.


Boku Pro
30th August 2018 

The 20th anniversary of Naomichi Marufuji, which is to be held at Sumo Hall on the 1st September, is just around the corner. Many injuries and farewells, twenty years have passed through the rough waves.
Everything from the "20 years walk", has been put into Sumo Hall. The wish for Jun Akiyama, Atsushi Aoki, and Kotaro Suzuki will be the first return to Noah after walking out, and the "eternal rival", KENTA, has been granted as being a special case.
I spoke with Naomichi Marufuji before the turning point of the 20th anniversary.

Q: First of all, what are your feelings approaching the 20th anniversary?

MARUFUJI: I have just realised it has come in a flash. There are good things and bad things to remember. I think it has been a turbulent twenty years, but it has been a fulfilling twenty years very much too I guess.

Q: Did you think you would be wrestling for twenty years?

MARUFUJI: I didn't decide on that goal when I became a wrestler, I want to tell that innocent eighteen year old boy who has freshly debuted, "you will be able to do this for 20 years".

Q: At that time you didn't have a heavyweight body, in twenty years you could not have predicted that you would be the top wrestler in that division?

MARUFUJI: That is true, there was nothing I could do about having a smaller body, but I didn't want to be buried, even if I had a bigger body.

Q: You have also overcome many injuries?

MARUFUJI: Although injuries are certainly a bad thing, I think there are also good things to look back on. It is like losing, its not a good thing, but sometimes it overlapped when I wanted something, it was like "timing" or a "trigger". As for injuries, its the same, not everything is a "bad thing". So indeed, there have been lots of "fruits."

Q: Death, retirement, walk outs...in the past ten years many farewells have overlapped, but did you feel a sense of pain when you were left to carry the promotion?

MARUFUJI: I don't feel pain, but....I think this is all part of the story of "Professional wrestler, Naomichi Marufuji". In other words, this is a reality that we have no choice but to accept. When something happens, there are things that will disturb and trouble our minds, but I think it is more important to accept it. I have strong feelings about it I think.

Q: This is a 20th anniversary with a story to it?

MARUFUJI: Yeah. The main event is for the 20th anniversary, the "Naomichi Marufuji debut 20th anniversary memorial match". So its a good way to have one match at the box office.

Q: So, amongst all the stories, why did you chose "Naomichi Marufuji vs KENTA".

MARUFUJI: When I thought about the story of "Professional wrestler Naomichi Marufuji", I thought that he is "the only one", I thought everyone thought so too.

Q: WWE does not send their wrestlers out to other promotions, and it was a challenging plan?

MARUFUJI: It was unfounded confidence, so I did not put any kind of "guarantee" on it.

Q: Huh?

MARUFUJI: I spoke my mind. I told them "what should I do if this is no good?" (Laughs)

Q: (Question doesn't translate well, but interview is basically asking about KENTA in WWE)

MARUFUJI: He and I are on different paths, I did feel some jealousy when he went to America, because I had decided that I had to do it "here". I don't want it to be lost in the meaning of his going to America, I have been thinking about that. Because of the excitement, I want to show content that matches it, and above all the "results." He will not give up, and I want to take advantage of my ability to win. I think he is thinking many things, especially about the reaction of the fans when he was displayed on the monitor at Korakuen. I think that was the most and best "real". I want him to have an explosion like that at the venue. Everyone had hoped for him, and that was the proof.

Q: It is also meaningful what at Korakuen people called "KENTA" not "Hideo".

MARUFUJI: Well...I wonder what will happen on the day...I wonder if "KENTA", "Marufuji" and "Hideo" will sound strange? (laughs)

Q: It is "KENTA" who has the deep relationship with Marufuji?

MARUFUJI: This time it will be a confrontation with Hideo Itami, and this will be the first time...I wonder what will happen...I don't even know. I am looking forward to the bell ringing.

Q: Do you have fun imagining the crowd reaction?

MARUFUJI: Yes, since the 20th Anniversary produce was announced, Jun Akiyama is coming up, there are various cards and a growing sense of expectation, there is a feeling that "this is what is necessary for the box office".
When I was a child and there was a big match and they would decide who would fight with who, it was amazing fun waiting for that day to come. I think that that is one of the ways to enjoy original wrestling, isn't it? It's not quite possible in Noah at the moment, and I wish I could create something with such meaning. Noah has better matches now, but there is a part....

Q: As Noah is now at the stage of creating a "name value", for the other wrestlers, is this a meaningful experience at Sumo Hall?

MARUFUJI: Yes. I wanted it to be positive in various ways. People who don't usually watch Noah wull come, and I think people who have left will come as well. I would like the younger wrestlers, who have never experienced such a big venue, to experience it too. I was blessed with this at various stages.

Q: It is hard to for wrestlers to obtain experience without a big stage?

MARUFUJI: That's right. Wrestlers who can fascinate on the big stage, can fascinate on any stage.

Q: Going back to the card organisation again, you produced all the matches?

MARUFUJI: Yes, everything from start to finish. The keyword is "completely" people involved in my twenty years. The people in my past, the people in my present...

Q: In the semi final, All Japan's Jun Akiyama and Atsushi Aoki will return to Noah for the first time since leaving? What was the intention behind pairing Noah's Takashi Sugiura and Daisuke Harada against them?

MARUFUJI: When Akiyama comes to us, I want him to see Takashi Sugiura for the first time, and considering Aoki's personality, and his strength of mind, he wants to surpass the heavyweight...so that means Harada.
Harada has past history with KENTA. So looking at the match, both Harada and Sugiura are single GHC Champions, and the top two with notorious confidence. Because of that they will not have an absolute defeat.

Q: Akiyama left Noah six years ago, the last match was at Sumo Hall. It will be like a Noah reunion.

MARUFUJI: Yes...including "Destiny", I have also participated in All Japan's "Champion Carnival", and I challenged for the Triple Crown. I think I have cleared up various things during that period for what I feel about.
But that is just me, I don't know about the others, I don't know about the customers. That's why I am looking forward to it.

Q: In the seventh match, DDT'S Sanshiro Takagi, HARASHIMA & Dino will participate against Maybach Taniguchi, Kenoh and Atsushi Kotoge?

MARUFUJI: Different chemical reactions will occur, I think it is funny that Kenoh and Dino will oppose. For Kenoh, dare you chose a man who is the "total opposite?"

Q: Kotaro Suzuki will also be returning to Noah's mat for the first time since his departure. Kotaro Suzuki, Hi69 & Minoru Tanaka vs Hajime Ohara, Hitoshi Kumano and Seiya Morohashi...this is the strength of the current Noah juniors.

MARUFUJI: I think there is something to be gained by wrestling Kotaro. He is a good wrestler. I don't know if anything will come of it, but this could be a "trigger" for something, I thought like that when making the match. It will be a good stimulation for both our wrestlers, and for Kotaro.

Q: Did you feel emotional when arranging Kotaro after he left Noah?

MARUFUJI: I guess. I wanted to use my 20th anniversary conveniently, and do something.

Q: Shuji Kondo will come from WRESTLE-1, and Jiro Ikemen will enter to confront YO-HEY & HAYATA

Marufuji: Originally it was not Jiro, but Kaz Hayashi, and Shuji Kondo won the best bout of the Junior Grand Prix at the time of the match with him when I was a junior. It was Kaz who took the away the World Junior title from me, and unfortunately he is missing this time. I wanted to combine Kondo, HAYATA & YO-HEY. I expect a lot from them. I think they are two people who can "do anything", and I think they are always giving 100%, which I see in a lot of people...

Q: HAYATA & YO-HEY should have the experience of wrestling at the venue

MARUFUJI: I would like them to raise their values in that way, and therefore raise the value of the promotion as the worth and experience of all the wrestlers go up. I am really hoping for it, it was good when I was a junior.

Q: Mitsuo Momoto will also participate since leaving Noah

MARUFUJI'S answer doesn't translate well, but I think he is saying that he wanted to put the old man on then due to his age (as he always had to start at 6.30)

Q: It is said that Misawa arranged Sumo Hall?

MARUFUJI'S answer doesn't translate well, except to say that he is indebted to Misawa and he will do his best for him on his 20th anniversary.

Q: So all of the matches are for the "20th Anniversary?"

MARUFUJI: Yes, all of it is a memorial for me.

Link to original article from Boku. Pro (in Japanese)

Comments