(Noah) "Everybody's Energy" ~ interview with Kaito Kiyomiya (Weekly Pro, December 2018)


Q: You have not switched off yet for 16th December in Yokohama? Two days have passed since you took the victory?
Kiyomiya: I gradually realized that I had the victory the next day, but now with making it to the championship, I feel a sense of responsibility.
Q: Do you have a sense of accomplishment?
Kiyomiya: There isn't yet, my feelings are towards the belt. I said at the interview yesterday that the switch has not been switched off yet, as the fight has not ended. I think I would like to go to Yokohama like this.
Q: You debuted two years ago, it has only been a year or so.
Kiyomiya: I just did my best with what was in front of me.
Q: Did you fully face it?
Kiyomiya: Yes. I was thinking about different things, and I was motivated by it strongly to win, and then I suddenly beat the GHC Heavyweight Champion, Takashi Sugiura, in the first match.

Kiyomiya says that he studied Takashi Sugiura vs Go Shiozaki at Global League.

Q: What kind of research did you do?
Kiyomiya: Shiozaki and Sugiura's matches are mutual, and will be intense. For me, I needed to think about various things as in my case I needed a plus alpha to win. That is why I practiced many ways of reversing the Olympic Qualifying Slam.
Q: Was it a finish you aimed at?
Kiyomiya: Not really an aim, its more I had been practicing more moves and it has come out.
Q: And it came out quickly?
Kiyomiya: Yes. It was the result of research.
Q: Winning against Sugiura in a single, this meaning goes beyond the league match.
Kiyomiya: For the first time, I won against a Japanese heavyweight (champion), the opponent was Sugiura. I was triumphant as I hadn't won against anyone else...
Q: Even though you have won singles with people such as Cody Hall or the junior wrestlers, this was a restoration to the Japanese heavyweights?
Kiyomiya: That's why I was able to win against Sugiura in one go.

Kiyomiya says that he is glad that he has always had a goal, and although he lost some steam from his return at the end of last year, he wanted to reinvent that this year, although he did feel corroded inside. He said he squeezed it all out.
So what about the Generation Struggle, did he feel it was not enough?

Kiyomiya: It was enough. Nothing was missing.
Q: What is the biggest thing you have accumulated?
Kiyomiya: To my mind, the turning point was the generational struggle. It has been very motivating to go somewhere together after a match.
Q: Like an evaluation meeting?
Kiyomiya: Yes, there was a mutual encouragement to boost each other.
Q: Who out of the new generation, did you go out to dinner with the most?
Kiyomiya: Kotoge. In the ring I was encouraged to wear his leather cloak, but refused. He is someone with a bright character, that enjoys having fun, and this overlapped with what I felt overseas. Oh wrestling, its fun.
Q: You seem to be reflecting on when you were overseas?

Kiyomiya said that he was trying professional wrestling in all sorts of ways back then, and like Kotoge now he has that motivation to push through being himself.

"I began to think, I know what I want to do!"

He says he feels that he caught something when overseas, that he bought home to Noah. The next question doesn't really translate well, but the best I can render it is that Kiyomiya is asked when he grasped the feeling of keeping it, Kiyomiya says it was at the match with Sugiura.

Q: You had three defeats in a row since you won the first match?
Kiyomiya: It was no good; I lost to Kazusada Higuchi, Kotoge, Cody. I did enjoy the match with Kotoge a lot.
Q: I am a fan of Kotoge
Kiyomiya: He is a hero of justice for me too, but I give it all, because I am either winning or losing, and after all, I like single matches. I held the belt with Shiozaki in a tag, but, I always thought that I wanted one in a single. The image of the tag is strong thanks to Shiozaki.

They discuss Marufuji becoming injured and not being able to enter the finals, and thus, Kiyomiya did not know who he would face out of Kenoh, Nakajima, or Kohei Sato. Kiyomiya said that whoever came, it meant it would be kicked, but he would take it and look for the chance to fight back.
So, how did Kiyomiya see the change from Marufuji?
Kiyomiya says that the change from Marufuji was a negative that turned into a plus, he was proud of the match when the opponent changed, and he just went for it and did not give up.
The interviewer wonders who the audience would cheer for.

Q: The first battle has begun? It starts with Kiyomiya challenging. However, I wonder what will happen when energetic Marufuji and Kiyomiya wrestle each other? The course of events have really been lucky.
Kiyomiya: Well, when Marufuji and Misawa fought for the GHC, Misawa said about the cheers, "I thought it was not for me".

Kiyomiya says he thinks the same when people were cheering when he and Marufuji were facing off in the ring, and thought it was not for him.

Q: On the 16th December, in Yokohama, the GHC Heavyweight Championship match has been arranged against Takashi Sugiura?
Kiyomiya: I think I want to make it the final fight, and end the generation struggle. I want to advance the era there. If I lose, I will have to wait again.
Q: And end the era of Marufuji and Sugiura?
Kiyomiya: Rather than ending it, I want to start my own. I have been here three years since my debut. 

Things go by in a flash, and as Kiyomiya says, "sometimes I think, various things fly away". The interviewer says that it is unusual that someone of Kiyomiya's career so far, stands at the top of the promotion.
Kiyomiya laughs and says he doesn't know, but he wants to demolish whatever is coming, and as for the future, well winning Global League, the belt...he will do it step by step.

Q: So, what do you want to do with Noah now?
Kiyomiya: I think it needs a popular name. So, for me to become champion will be something different. I think the best regeneration for Noah, will be making a new course.
Q: Amidst the increase of transfers to Noah, is there a sense that a true-born has to do it?
Kiyomiya: Well...that's right. Its strange to say that being native born means nothing, especially when compared to those who worked so hard during the troubled days. I feel like I have to do this well.

Well, even though he cannot become Misawa, he wants to change Noah.
Kiyomiya says that Marufuji and Sugiura may have changed the image of being champion, he wants to show something new.

Q: It is going to be very difficult, both Nakajima and Kenoh have set their goals.
Kiyomiya: It must be done, and not tried to be done. Changes will come with our continuing ambitions like we do now.
Q: That will mean that you have to take the belt, and defend it?
Kiyomiya: Taking the belt is the beginning. I want to start it.
Q: Is Misawa your image of being the champion?
Kiyomiya: But I cannot be Misawa (laughs).

Kiyomiya says he wants to be "everyone's energy" (doesn't translate well), and make people think "he's doing his best". He's asked his thoughts on other promotions.

Kiyomiya: I am curious about New Japan.
Q: As a rival? Or just an interest?
Kiyomiya: I'm interested. I am interested in the reasons for its rising. It is best to be interested. I think there is something in the ambiance just by the wrestlers entering is good, and from the onset I feel that the atmosphere of the enjoyment of the crowd is nice (parts of this did not translate well)
Sadly, there is not the same atmosphere in Noah.
Kiyomiya says he wants to change that.
The interviewer remarks that everyone is working hard. Even the  caped Revolutionary Hero. Kiyomiya agrees, and says Kotoge is amazing.
But before, it becomes an interview to acclaim Kotoge, Kiyomiya changes the subject.

"I want to create an atmosphere for the customers to enjoy themselves, just by the wrestlers entering. I'd like Noah to have an atmosphere of fun as well".

Q: You make the hall bright
Kiyomiya: I'm on fire trying to get the guests to burn, but I am excited for the recent Noah and for Yokohama.
Q: Currently, Noah fans expect Kiyomiya to play an active role.

Kiyomiya: I really thank you guys for cheering for me. I want to create an environment that can be enjoyed by more people, and although they might get angry if I say this, for pro wrestling fans who are only watching New Japan, I would also like you to watch Noah too. 

Article translated from "Weekly Pro" 
(Big thanks to Jen J for sending this to me)

Comments