(NOAH) Naomichi Marufuji, Pro Wrestling Grand Prize, Special Prize winner, "I want to see the view that Misawa could not"

Tokyo Sports Net
13th January 2019

(Special Series 6/Year of Flight)

Tokyo Sports looks over the turbulent year of the "Pro Wrestling Grand Prize Winners".

Noah's Naomichi Marufuji (39), who has won the "Outstanding Performance Award" for the first time in twelve years, appears in this special series "The Year of Flight", talking about 2019, his 20th anniversary debut, winning All Japan's "Champion Carnival" and his reunion match with former ally, KENTA (37).
What is the new horizon that Noah's genius is aiming for?

Q: Last year was not one to rest?
MARUFUJI: I kept fighting with the thought that I had to repay my 20 years in Pro Wrestling. I made my debut in All Japan and I reunited with Akiyama (Jun) at Champions Carnival, and I was able to win it for the first time. I think that was the best drama that wrestling produced.

Q: The reunion match with Akiyama was after about five years and four months, and in May you challenged Kento Miyahara (29) for the Triple Crown after winning the carnival?
MARUFUJI: It was nostalgic at the same time as being new, especially the feeling about being in contact with the new top wrestlers (Miyahara, SUWAMA, Shuji Ishikawa etc), but I fought with the feeling that, "I'm sorry, but I am more acquainted with All Japan than you."

Q: You had the reunion match with KENTA that seemed impossible for your 20th anniversary (September 1st, Sumo Hall)
MARUFUJI: I only have gratitude for WWE, but I guess the outcome was guided by fate. Various coincidences and inevitability overlapped, and the gears of destiny tightened. The match? It was the best. Even now I don't think there is any space to overcome that emotion so much.

Q: KENTA will challenge for the cruiserweight title at the Royal Rumble on the 27th?
MARUFUJI: He will do it.

Q: You have been missing for about two months with left shoulder contusion and left thigh muscle rupture. You return on February 1st at Korakuen Hall.
MARUFUJI: Sometimes I was absent with injuries for eight or nine months, and I did not think of returning to such a great extent. This time, I will move to take both the single and the tag belts. The outcome that has invited that in my absence, Kaito Kiyomiya has become the GHC Heavyweight champion. In Global League, I am sorry for all the fans who missed the finals, but fighting at the time in perfect physical condition, I have self confidence that I will not lose to Kiyomiya.

Q: This is a year of victory or defeat?
MARUFUJI: Being injured at the end of the 20th anniversary year, does Naomichi Marufuji slowly decline from here, or will he reach even greater heights? I want you to see it, because of course, its the latter!

Q: You will be forty years old in September, at one time you were thinking of retirement at that age?
MARUFUJI: Personally at forty, but as a wrestler, I think there is a certain attractiveness that can be bought out then. And....and, I want to see what Misawa could not. Or really, I want to show it instead. Noah has hit the bottom for a while, and I have to make it big again. I cannot quit while still thinking about it.

Q: This year will be ten years after Misawa's death, next year will be Noah's 20th anniversary.
MARUFUJI: I would like to return to the Nippon Budokan, which was the origin, and that is why I have not won MVP yet. If I could win that, wouldn't that be cool too? (laugh) But please expect it though!

Link to original article from Tokyo Sports (in Japanese)
Picture credit: Tokyo Sports Web

Comments