(NOAH) Takashi Sugiura's double GHC Challenge at the two Misawa memorial events


Noah.co.jp
7th May 2019

(Sugiura arrived about six or seven minutes late. Famously he apologized beforehand to the press who were waiting, all except for one reporter)

SUGIURA: Thank you very much for coming today as I know you are busy. I'm sorry for the being late to the meeting, and I apologize for the inconvenience
(bows deeply)

Q: The tag league match has finished?
SUGIURA: We were a team that seemed to have been formed suddenly, but still, we were able to make good matches each time, and finally we got the result.

Q: Have you decided on the GHC Heavyweight and GHC Tag challenges?
SUGIURA: Being able to have a title match twice in the same month is a wrestlers reward. It is great, and I am very happy, and it motivates me to do my best. However, I want the young wrestlers in Noah to know that I am going to be 49 this year, and I am involved in two title matches. I want them to think about that.

Q: Kiyomiya took the belt from you and became champion, how do you see his progress as champion?
SUGIURA: I think he has grown, including the contents of his matches and in his career. Only a young man can do that. I think that is a great thing. If after years of doing it, if he can develop a relationship of trust with the customers, then he will be a great champion.

Q: You are thinking of the GHC Heavyweight now?
SUGIURA: I think I have to increase my worth by having that belt, and that I am not going to lose to whomever. Because it is a symbol of Noah, it is necessary to increase the value of the group, and for a wrestler, it is necessary to grow. It is natural to aim for it (after all, I am a wrestler).

Q: What about the tag champions, Nakajima & Shiozaki?
SUGIURA: They have their individual strengths, but as a tag team I think that they were better in Korakuen this time. They are two people who have strong personalities. However, I think they can do more to raise the function as a "tag".

Q: You have criticized their "smugness"?
SUGIURA: In the official match with Kitamiya & Inamura, they looked smug because it was too much for the inferior team...but it was a fierce battle in tag league in Yokohama and Korakuen (rough). I don't really think about it too much now.

Q: You will challenge for both GHC titles at the two Misawa memorial events?
SUGIURA: It is a great honor to be able to challenge for both at such a special show.

Q: This year will be ten years since he died, but what are you thoughts on Misawa?
SUGIURA: To protect Noah, and take it to the position where Misawa was, and beyond that. Thanks to Misawa, I can do wrestling with Noah like this. I want to defend it.

Q: How has the ten years since Misawa died been for you?
SUGIURA: Hmmm...I have many thoughts, but to be honest, I think strongly it has been "difficult" to sum it up in one word. "Difficult" is a better word than saying it was fun or good...

Q: There has been a lot of change, but is it in your thoughts that you have protected this ring for ten years?
SUGIURA: Well, that's...thanks to everyone.

Q: Now there is a situation where a unit called "The Sugiura Army" has been created, and strength is coming out due to circumstances? (rough translation)
SUGIURA: Well, for KAZMA and NOSAWA Rongai its for them not to contend with a stronger force. Hajime Ohara is the only one in Noah entering. In that sense, I think people from outside Noah seem to think that if they get involved with me, then they can stand out. Especially KAZMA SAKAMOTO. I have a sharp nose for that.

Q: What are your feelings on the unit?
SUGIURA: What do you think? Talking about those guys... (laughs)...I wish I had some feelings right now (laugh) (rough)

Q: It team called "Kongoh" has also been formed, and the unit disputes are likely to return to Noah?
SUGIURA: I hope that such a fight will take root. Well, even if Kenoh (who has formed Kongoh), betrayed Kitamiya, teamed with me, betrayed me and then left to join with Kiyomiya saying "lets show the new view of Noah." I want to establish it in that sense, and the unit conflict too. To that end though, you can't keep recklessly betraying people, and so I want everyone to do it without deviating.

Q: There was a great Sugiura call the other day at Korakuen, is it a situation where you are getting strong support again?
SUGIURA: Well...I prepared by paying 300 people at Korakuen Hall to cheer. It is good to be well prepared.
Q: As expected, the company's dog
SUGIURA: Yeah (laughs)

Q: You will be 49 years old at the end of this month, and the GHC double challenge was decided on the Sugiura call, from the perspective of people of the same age, it seems like there may be a feeling of exhilaration?
SUGIURA: Well, I want the young wrestlers to be envious. However, this is the "expectation" in me. As I said before, I debuted when I was 30, 10 years later than the average person, and so I am 10 years young. I wound the belt at 39, but I was therefore 29, and now I am 39.
Q: You are moving into your stride?
SUGIURA: That's right (rest does not translate)
Q: Is this your heyday?
SUGIURA: No, my heyday is still ahead of me, isn't it?

Q: There was an era when you made your GHC defense record?
SUGIURA: That time is "small fry".

Q: Your heyday will be your 60th anniversary...
SUGIURA: Heyday of my 60th year? Let me do it like that (laughs)

Link to original article from Noah.co.jp (in Japanese)
Link to YouTube video
Picture credit: Noah.co.jp

Comments