(NOAH) "I thought about wrestling 24 hours a day" ~ Takeshi Rikio and Kaito Kiyomiya talk


Noah.co.jp
14th August 2019

RIKIO: You came here today?
KIYOMIYA: I came to Osaka to do promotion four days ago from Nagoya
RIKIO: When are you going home?
KIYOMIYA: Today
RIKIO: It's hard. For us personally, there aren't many promotions who come out this way.

Starting the conversation like this, this is a talk between the 7th GHC Heavyweight champion, Takeshi Rikio, and the current 32nd champion, Kaito Kiyomiya.

Q: First of all, please tell us of your impressions of when you first met.
RIKIO: The first was when I went to the venue before his pre-debut (Kiyomiya's)
KIYOMIYA: Yes, that's right. The first greeting though was at the Misawa Memorial (June 13th 2015, Hiroshima). It was about three months since I started.
RIKIO: It was a little more detailed, but I thought he was a really promising child. I understood it as as I saw him almost.

Q: Was there any difference from the other trainees?
RIKIO: He said hello properly, isn't it the best to be serious?
KIYOMIYA: No, I was nervous as I liked WILDII. A really big wrestler from that era! I was amazed at the size of his back.

Q: What matches remain the most impression for you?
KIYOMIYA: The matches with Takayama and Omori of NO FEAR. They were amazing, this is a professional wrestling fight! The emotions were transmitted, and it became intense.

Q: Rikio took the belt from Kobashi, and then made a brilliant defense as the 7th champion. In the history of the GHC, it is only Takeshi Rikio who has the win over both Kobashi and Misawa for the championship.
RIKIO: No, no, too much flattery (laughs).
Q: It is well known that you have a track record as both a sumo wrestler and a sumo wrestler.
KIYOMIYA: I liked Misawa, but my friend was a fan of Rikio.

Q: Kiyomiya debuted in 2015, and he became the youngest and quickest GHC Heavyweight champion. In the five defenses he has made, he has won against two of the symbols of Noah, Marufuji and Sugiura. So, what does it mean for the two of you to have a change of era and transcend generations?
RIKIO: First of all, you have to get results, it is not the same if you don't get them. I think that is very important. Sometimes it might be exaggerated. It will give you a sense of responsibility knowing that you have to do it by yourself. That's it. You drive yourself. For me, there was no way out, so I felt that I had no choice but to do it.


KIYOMIYA: As Rikio said, don't lose the hungry spirit. Becoming the face of the group goes beyond generations. You can't do it halfway, so its better to put pressure on yourself.
Q: Those are powerful words, Rikio?
RIKIO: I think its amazing. Especially for a youth.
Q: 24 years old, 2 defenses
RIKIO: I think youth is strong. Even when you watch the match, the strength of the core is transmitted. After all, it takes years to infiltrate pro wrestling and make a name for yourself. It is difficult the first one or two years, and so there are not many wrestlers who have a passion for it. Core fans have been watching for decades. After all, as a champion you have to hold your own. It's an assessment of the surroundings, like the reality and the dilemma of the fan base not catching up. If you are not someone who has that, then I think there are going to be a lot of problems. Of course in professional wrestling you work hard, and I think that various elements get involved and and get tangled, and there are a lot of things that are uneasy that will pile up, but I think that's okay. There is peace of mind in seeing it. It is hard, its hard. During that era, there was something too; we had Misawa, Kobashi and Akiyama, and I was the champion and from other promotions came Tenryu, Koshinaka and Akebono. There were a lot of topics, some parts were crushed, others were helped. Right now, Noah is in a difficult situation, and you are struggling desperately to protect the Noah made by Misawa. As a champion at such a young age, you must lead the group. It is a big deal, and I do think it is a lot, but you will do it.


 Q: It is hard, so do you have any thoughts about the future?
KIYOMIYA: I haven't felt it too much. I have no choice but to do what I want to do. I do it because I like it, and because this is what I want to do. I never thought it was hard. In this way you can see it objectively from those of the same occupation, and there aren't many opportunities to hear opinions. Because I am telling you what I think, I think others have the same idea, and they are able to feel comfortable.

Q: What is the time and space of the GHC Heavyweight championship?
RIKIO: What it would be is that for me it was really difficult to see that I was trying different things in wrestling. Because there is no right answer, it would be easier if I would decide on one, but the answer is different every time. Was it good because the customer was pleased, or was it good because I was convinced? That is a completely different issue. So, you have to keep wrestling while watching the reaction of the customer, make your opponent shine, and I think that is a champion. It is a happy time...but I wonder if it is a fun one. When you debut, your seniors influence you, and that part is the leading of the match, as a champion, you are in that position, and I think in that respect it is a happy time.

Q: In all main, do you feel that there are any pressures that you need to think about regarding the customers wanting to come and see you again?
KITOMIYA: I don't feel much pressure (laughs), but is it better to say I feel it?
RIKIO: I think the current generation is good. I think it will lead to good results if you can grow and think freely.

Q: Where you always ready to become a champion?
RIKIO: I thought of wrestling 24 hours a day.
KIYOMIYA: Whether it is small or large, I always try to live with a goal. There will be a title match in three months now, so to that end I can create something like a plan to make a body for that, and that will change everyday life little by little.


Q: Any advice from the senior champion?
RIKIO: There is nothing much (laughs). It's very good what he is doing at such a young age. If you believe in yourself, I think that more fans will follow, and more than ever. 
KIYOMIYA: There are pros and cons, I have been criticized as I am not in the N-1.
RIKIO: You don't have to go out I think. Everyone else has done so far. I have always thought that there is no need for a champion to. But, whatever you do in this world, there are always pros and cons.
KIYOMIYA: These are the important words of someone who has worn the GHC. 
RIKIO: Do not worry
Q: What is this "new scenery" that Kiyomiya will show? 
RIKIO: It's bright, and it is already growing brighter. It is bright isn't it? Because everyone is coming to see it.
KIYOMIYA: Now Noah is rising, and the future is visible, I received many words of encouragement. It was really nice. Thank you very much for today.


Picture credit: Noah.co.jp

Comments