(NOAH) "My senior told me, win by breaking the shell" ~ Interview with Shuhei Taniguchi

For the N-1 Victory 2019, Taniguchi practiced with Hide Miyoshi, who was a senior to him both in middle and high school. 

The interview took place at "HIDE'S KICK", Meigetsu Building, 2F, 6-20-11 Nishi-Shinjuku, Tokyo,
The gym is a "Total Workout Gym" that was organized by Hide Miyoshi, who teaches UFC, K-1 and major fighters of those disciplines. The gym recruits students from a variety of backgrounds, from beginners who want to start martial arts, to advanced wrestlers who want to start.
Hide Miyoshi has a wide range of clients from the political world to the entertainment world. From UFC, PRIDE & K-1, he is well established in teaching many famous fighters and is renowned for providing easy-to-understand and enjoyable instruction.

INTERVIEW WITH HIDE MIYOSHI

Q: What do you teach in this dojo?
MIYOSHI: Kickboxing, mixed martial arts, ju-jitsu and fitness kickboxing.
Q: What is your connection with Taniguchi?
MIYOSHI: I did wrestling in High School and we were there at the same time. He was my junior in wrestling in High School.
Q: What did you teach today?
MIYOSHI: Jiu-Jitsu


Q: What kind of athlete is Taniguchi?
MIYOSHI: Honestly, for better or worse, he is straightforward and that is a good feeling. He is also quiet, awkward and frustrating.
Q: Tell us about the strong and weak points of Taniguchi.
MIYOSHI: He has a great technique that takes advantage of his physique to make wrestling brilliant and attractive. I wonder if the deficiencies should not be spoken about. If up to you, only you can say you can't do it, I feel frustrated (rough).
Q: What parts need to be improved for the future?
MIYOSHI: If he takes advantage of his existing base, and if he brings out his own sensibilities, I think he will flourish. I think he has more knowledge about big techniques, tricks and holds than people think, so I am expecting that part. I have always said that it is better to incorporate exercises that are different from regular professional wrestling exercises, lol.
Q: The N-1 VICTORY will be an hard single league held with ten elite people. What kind of battle do you envision the peak to be?
MIYOSHI: It has always been said that its his power method that he uses which takes advantage of his body, but I want him to break out of his shell and win as much as possible.


INTERVIEW WITH TANIGUCHI (AFTER PRACTICE)

Q: How are you feeling on entering the N-1?
TANIGUCHI: The other day I lost the GHC tag challenge with Kiyomiya, but I think that my entry is natural, because of the results that I have got so far. But, no one thinks I will win? I will do what I can by the opening.
Q: You have entered, but there are some wrestlers who couldn't participate this time.
TANIGUCHI: I am thinking about what it means to enter, and I don't want to betray my expectations. Because the number of the elite is small, each match is going to be important. I want to make a good match, but I will concentrate in the outcome.
Q: The other day you had a match against Hideki Suzuki?
TANIGUCHI: I think only Suzuki can do such wrestling in the early stages. It may have elements that the customers don't really know what is happening, as it is hard to communicate. This was a match that only the two of us could do, it was fresh, and a great stimulus for N-1.
Q: What about Kiyomiya not participating in the N-1 VICTORY?
TANIGUCHI: He's my partner, but its not a big deal as I think that he thought about this and decided it himself. After all, he is the current champion, and I think its okay what he says. I think this is the result of all sorts of thoughts.


Q: What wrestlers are you interested in facing in B Block?
TANIGUCHI: It's just about steadily defeating the opponent facing you.
Q: If you win, you will be able to challenge for Kiyomiya's belt?
TANIGUCHI: I have only one thing to aim for, so I will fight with Kiyomiya and take the belt by winning at Sumo Hall.
Q: You said you would do what you can, but what are your thoughts on the N-1?
TANIGUCHI: In addition to the practice that I always do, I want to incorporate various things. Here, various types of people come to practice. It is the best way to incorporate new movements and improve skills.
Q: Please give a message to your fans.
TANIGUCHI: I don't think there are many fans who think I will win, but I want to betray this. As my senior (Hide Miyoshi) told me, break the shell and win. Please watch the evolution and the final form of Shuhei Taniguchi.

Link to original article from Noah.co.jp
Picture credit: Noah.co.jp

Comments