(NOAH) "There has been a rivalry for 15 years" Go Shiozaki, Katsuhiko Nakajima, and thoughts on the Noah tag champion showdown.

ABEMA TIMES
2nd December 2019

Pro Wrestling Noah's GHC Heavyweight tag team, "AXIZ" (Go Shiozaki and Katsuhiko Nakajima), will celebrate their 15th anniversary this year.
Nakajima made his pro wrestling debut on January 5th 2004, and Shiozaki made his that July. Their affiliation at the time of their debut was different, but it was "synchronised" in the same year. The single showdown between the two is to be held at Korakuen Hall on December 3rd as a 15th anniversary match.

They have achieved singles already, and as a tag they are proud of their outstanding team power, although it is not long after their formation. Shiozaki uses chops and lariats, and Nakajima uses kicks as weapons, and their fighting styles are different. "But there are some similarities" Nakajima says. "There is no sense from anyone else who has not been in the same era."
"I feel this is fate. In the 15th anniversary match, I didn't expect to wrestle against Katsu as a tag champion," Shiozaki says.
The two teamed up previously on 26th November in Niigata, and when this interview was conducted, they were appearing at Noah's commemorative event for the theme song CD release. The interview was done together.

Even in such a situation, it is said that the switch for the battle has already been turned on.
"We don't hate each other, rather than that we have a relationship of mutual acknowledgement, and because of that we want to show the best fight."
Nakajima said, "There are some guys I dislike (laughs), but in pro-wrestling you can make a good match because of respect."

They are conscious that they have had a rivalry for 15 years. Because they had no contemporary in either promotion, they had been interested in each other since the start.
Their first encounter was at Noah's 2005 Tokyo Dome event, which was the legendary match between Kenta Kobashi and Kensuke Sasaki. Shiozaki was the second of Kobashi, and Nakajima the second of Kensuke. Nakajima said that he was secretly burning with a sense of opposition, with an awareness that, "I will collect as much paper tape as possible."

"As a tag, we are fighting for the synergistic effect of each others strength, but to fight against each other, it's a scramble. After all, I don't want to lose. I am going to attack a lot in this one shot. That is true for Go, more than other wrestlers".
(Nakajima)

"Even if we are not in the same match, I watch Katsu's because I am interested. I am comparing each of our wins by content. Even if we are tagging, there is actually a feeling that "I will stand out more.".
(Shiozaki)

In 15 years of career, Nakajima spoke of the era that has been spent together, "To put it simply, although it has been a tough era, it has been great, because of the amazing seniors. But as my career has grown more and more, they have become like being stuck in a hard place, or like a middle management" (grins). To put it another way, we are now in a position wgere we can see the whole promotion. Physical strength is perfect, and there is the experience. It's a really good time now, and I think that we should be at the centre of Noah. The team name AXIZ means the centre."

The 49 year old Takashi Sugiura hasn't faded at all, and Naomichi Marufuji has been adding the mature taste as the "genius". The GHC Heavyweight champion is Kaito Kiyomiya, a 23 year old who continues to grow. His rival is Kenoh, and the newcomer Yoshiki Inamura is rapidly gaining presence. All this together is why many fans think that Nakajima and Shiozaki want to stand out, and make a singles match even more prominent.

When asked about competing on the singles front, Shiozaki said, "I am ready go to anytime. I am watching with an eagle eye."
Nakajima said, "I have a strong desire to boost the tag front right now, but I have no intention of retiring from singles matches".
"Partnering with Katsu, is what is necessary to overcome the current situation. Naturally, I am not happy with it. How can I accelerate the 16th year? A single with Katsu should be a great opportunity for that." (Shiozaki)
However, Nakajima said, "I just want to immerse myself in the fight against Go. I want you to feel the meaning and the story of our fight at this time". However, Nakajima also said, "I don't really want to do it", but because, "I don't want an attack from Go! (laughs). The chop stings. It goes all the way to your back. We currently tag so I haven't received Go's chop for a long time. I hate it." (laughs).

I asked Shiozaki about Nakajima's kick. The kick has the creed that "pain is sent", and it can be said that it is the number one "pro wrestling kick".
"It is as I always say, Katsu's kicks are always accurate, and they all hit in the same place. Some other wrestlers can be a little off, but its really hard to take. But taking it has gotten better over the years, and it feels like I am in a dream." (laugh).

Because they don't want to take each others skills, Nakajima says, "I will be prepared when I go to the ring. No matter how many times I have to take it, I don't want to collapse."
"That is the meaning of 15 years, you know" Shiozaki says.
How many kicks and chops will each other roll out?

"I am looking forward to this match, more than anyone else" (Shiozaki)
"This will be a match that will make other wrestlers jealous" (Nakajima).

Whoever wins in this showdown between partners, no matter who loses it will be a commemorative match, but for the intensity of the content, they are sure. In this special confrontation with its synchronous combination of both trust and rivalry, probably a "natural rivalry" is the point.

Link to original article written by (and translated from) Munehiro Hashimoto from Abema Times
Picture credit: Abema Times\Yahoo.co.jp

Comments