(NOAH) Kaito Kiyomiya revives overseas expedition at the Wrestling Awards

14th January 2020
Tokyo Sports Web

In this special series "The oath of the chosen" in which the winners of the "2019 Pro Wrestling Awards", as established by Tokyo Sports, discuss their 20-year plan. Today, Noah's Kaito Kiyomiya (23), who has won an award for the second year running, has appeared.

Last year he defended the GHC Heavyweight, six times to support the new born Noah. He lost the title to Go Shiozaki (37) in his 7th defense (4th January), but he will go to the award ceremony on the 16th, although without a belt, but with a new goal in hos his heart.

Q: You lost the title in the first event of 2020?
KIYOMIYA: I already recovered (laughs). Even though I was defeated, Korakuen was full for a second day (1539 on the 4th, and 1528 on the 5th). It was exciting, and I am convinced that we were able to show you a new landscape. The day after the championship, I changed my feelings.

Q: Last year you defended the belt for a year?
KIYOMIYA: Until now I thought that it was obvious that I had to defend the GHC heavyweight first, but losing it has made it easier to take action. I can see there are various options now. Getting the belt back is the ultimate goal, but not the maximum one. I want to test my potential in the process. Since I returned home from training in Canada (July - December 2017), I have been thinking about going abroad for the two years since I returned home. Even if I go abroad for a month, I hope the company and the fans will forgive me, but it will lead to the future.

Q: In particular?
KIYOMIYA: Canada, Mexico and Europe are the starting points. I believe that I will be a different person from the one who was desperate to carry the newborn Noah in Japan, I believe this will be an awakening, especially in South America and Europe. It is exciting just to imagine it. I am only 23, so there is a lot that I can absorb.

Q: What is your theme for going to other organisations?
KIYOMIYA: Last year in Osaka in September, I partnered with super legends, Keiji Mutoh and Jun Akiyama. I felt the genes that had to be inherited. I also want to take taste that exciting moment again. At Sumo Hall in November, Naomichi Marufuji had his first match against The Great Muta, and I really want to experience that different dimension fight. If there is a chance, I would like to meet with other wrestlers of the same generation from other promotions.

Q: Unfortunately before that, the award ceremony will be held on the 16th
KIYOMIYA: Each day there are many times when I think, "Where did my belt go?" There is a sense of unease, as if one piece of me is missing. But it's OK, that missing piece has been polished shiny and new from the beginning of the year, and it will be returned to the place where it fits.

Q: This year you will aim to go further?
KIYOMIYA: MVP and best bout, but I shouldn't really say that about the highest authority, its a little rude. When the last piece that is missing snaps back into place, it is best for the fans and the people around you to decide. So I have to do it. This year, Noah will be progressing even further.

Link to original article from Tokyo Sports
Picture credit: Tokyo Sports 

Comments