(NOAH) Press conference - New Year Fes 2020

3rd January 2020
Noah.co.jp


KATSUHIKO NAKAJIMA & MICHAEL ELGIN

Q: Please tell us of your enthusiasm for the match?
ELGIN: First of all, I am glad to stand in Noah's ring in the New Year. I lost my debut in Noah last November to Sugiura. It didn't go the way I wanted, and I hate losing. There is a debt I want to repay. I lost in the past to Nakajima, and I've grown a lot since then. I want to return the debt.
NAKAJIMA: Happy New Year, everyone! Congratulations! I want to make it a little more. Congratulations! The New Year is good! It has been a long time, but I have been excited in both body and mind since the match against Michael Elgin was decided. Tomorrow, I want to bring you the excitement that I am feeling right now.

Q: On the same day, your partner Shiozaki, will challenge for the GHC Heavy?
NAKAJIMA: I am the most aware of that, because Go will be going for the belt in the main. I don't want to lose to him! I want you all to enjoy AXIZ, because we will be centre in the New Year.

Q: Elgin has emphasized "evolution", but what has made Nakajima evolve?
NAKAJIMA: You have seen it (laughs). Specifically? Well, to put it simply, its no longer the Katsuhiko Nakajima that he knew. Of course, I have an image of Elgin from that time, but it is not as it was, and he is bigger than I remembered. In that sense, I have been excited since this match was arranged.

Q: What is the point of Elgin's evolution?
ELGIN: I think any wrestler will grow each time they get in the ring, but it depends on the athlete how much they evolve. Compared to 2016, more than anything else he has grown stronger and faster. He's a completely different person.

Q: On coming to Noah, is there anything else you want to achieve besides fighting Nakajima?
ELGIN: Certainly, I am a new wrestler for Noah, but I think I proved my abilities in the match against Sugiura. I don't want to stick to the past, but I have a very strong desire to repay Nakajima, and at the same time there is motivation towards Shiozaki. Naturally, when you have the GHC heavyweight belt, everyone is aiming for it.

Q: Are you conscious of the event at the Tokyo Dome?
ELGIN: Everyone is doing their best (rest does not translate). But, since I came here, I am focusing on fighting for the GHC Heavyweight belt. In other words, I can only achieve tomorrow's match without the whole body and spirit. I want to defeat Nakajima, and aim for the GHC Heavyweight.

Q: Nakajima, what are your ambitions for 2020?
NAKAJIMA: Ambition for this year? The 5th January is my debut anniversary. It will be my 17th year on the 5th, and so on that day I want to have a good debut anniversary with Elgin, and get good results. This year is also Noah's 20th anniversary. Today, a lot of people are busy, and have taken time to come while they are busy. So, at this 20 year milestone, do you want to make your dreams come true, and see what is good? Everyone? (Applause in the hall). I think that this year will be the year that the wrestlers realize one by one what the fans are thinking, and create something big. Everyone, please expect it!


CHRIS RIDGEWAY & DOUG WILLIAMS

RIDGEWAY: First of all, I am happy to be able to partner with legend Doug Williams. He is someone who knows Noah's history. Our opponents, Marufuji and Tanaka are also legends, and I want to be a part of these three and make a new history. The best opportunity is in the Global Junior League match. I want to defeat Minoru Tanaka, and surely Doug will help me (laughs).
WILLIAMS: I am really happy, because I did not expect to come to Noah again. I am honored to be able to witness the moment when Noah creates new history in 2020, and I am looking forward to being able to partner with a young promising British wrestler at that time. I would like to tell Ridgeway of my achievements here in Noah. Leave Marufuji to me (laughs).

Q: What are your impressions of each other?

RIDGEWAY: We have had two matches in the past, I have won one and lost one. I want to keep that as it is. Doug is a respected wrestler worldwide, and I respect him. Tomorrow, I want to work together to win.
WILLIAMS: I have always wanted to recommend him to Noah. He is a talented wrestler, who balances the traditional British style with the present one. After having a few matches I knew that he would definitely be a British star in the future.

Q: Last time he came to Noah, Williams said he was about to retire? But is your career still continuing?
WILLIAMS: Um...my grandfather was a toolmaker, but he retired at the age of 60. After that he enjoyed retirement, but at some point a young craftsman came to him to ask for help. At that time, my grandfather agreed, because it was good for the young man...and I feel exactly the same now. Strictly speaking, I may not have retired, but I'm not wrestling anymore in England, and for the future of British wrestlers like Chris, I want to do what I can to help athletes fight in Noah.

Q: Ridgeway, how do you want to take advantage of this opportunity to compete as Team UK?

RIDGEWAY: I want to fight strategically as Team UK. I want to take the win from Minoru Tanaka, taking full advantage of my British style. I want to win strategically as a team, and show tomorrow that Team UK is the best.

STINGER (Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Kotoge) & KONGOH (Hao and Nio)

Q: What are your thoughts towards the title match?
NIO: Happy New Year. I think this will be a New Year for Kongoh, and the start will surely be tomorrow, and as a result Hao and Nio will put on the belts. Everyone here I think will be coming tomorrow, you will see this situation reversed I think. Please look forward to it.
HAO: Noah fans, nice to meet you, I am Hao, the new member of Kongoh. I have left everything to come here. On January 4th, we will bring both the belt to Kongoh with the impact of Hao and Nio. Please watch.
KOTARO: This year I will refrain from greeting you during this period of mourning, but thank you for this year. I decided that we would accept anyone's challenge, but the first is Nio? I think he (when he was Hi69) should have come here after winning a single with Minoru Tanaka before making a challenge, and showing firmly that "this is my way". Regarding the young man here (Hao). He left 2AW, and came to Noah. The challenge was decided immediately, but if you have indeed thrown away everything, then when you lose, we will have you start over as a new trainee.
KOTOGE: I am also in mourning, so thank you again for this year. When I watch the talking, I know that I am confident in myself. My partner is Kotaro. It is reassuring, and I am fine with the challengers...

KOTOGE holds up the match contract

Umm...Hao-Kun, you signed yourself as me...I want you to be a better challenger tomorrow.

Q: Hao, do you have objections?
HAO: Well...I am sorry that I made that mistake. As I said, you can see from this red shirt, I am coming dedicated to Kongoh, that is the impression when you see me tomorrow.

Q: How will you overturn the balance of power among the juniors?
NIO: Depending on tomorrow's result, I think that the eyes of the fans, the company, and the wrestlers will also change. Look forward to tomorrow. I have been wrestling for twenty years, and I have become Nioh. I will bring it all out tomorrow.

Q: What about the junior league matches?
KOTARO: My block has Tadasuke, Nio or Hao? Which one is it? And X, doesn't it?
KOTOGE: I am only thinking about winning. Single league matches, take the belt, and win it all for STINGER. I want to show you what I have done so far.

Q: STINGER is currently fighting with RATELS, but KONGOH may come in...is that the situation?
KOTARO: I have to try tomorrow to take it...I have been "suspected of bullying" on the net...and if I do this in the ring, my image will drop again, so I want to be careful. Please take care everyone, I am not bullying!
KOTOGE: I have to try it...it is cheeky to say but "what is this about"? (Rest does not translate)

Q: Hao, it has been said "start over as a new trainee" and "What is this about?"
HAO: Listening to their comments, they spoke about my name (rough). I will show you tomorrow what my "name" really is. By the way, in the same block as Kotaro is "Hao".


GO SHIOZAKI & KAITO KIYOMIYA

Q: Please tell us of your enthusiasm for the title match?
SHIOZAKI: Hello everyone, Happy New Year! Thank you again for this year! Finally, tomorrow, I will challenge for the GHC Heavyweight at Korakuen Hall. The current champion says "New scenery, new scenery", but I think that only I can show "beyond" the new scenery. I think it is my mission to take the GHC. I will definitely take it tomorrow.
KIYOMIYA: Thank you very much for coming here today. I think that beyond the new landscape, it is something that only I can create. On January 4th, I would like to show everyone who chooses to come to Korakuen Hall the best fight, and I will lead Noah for the 20th anniversary in 2020.

Q: Did you spend time thinking over the New Year holidays?
SHIOZAKI: I have come to the GHC fight on the 4th January without a break between the beginning and the end of the year, and I think the preparation is complete. I would like to show it to everyone who choses to come to Korakuen tomorrow.
KIYOMIYA: This is my second year as champion, and I am glad that I can grow with the belt. I welcomed in the New Year training in the dojo over the year end and New Year holidays.

Q: It will be a battle to decide who steers Noah during the 20th anniversary year, what is your theme if you win the championship?
SHIOZAKI: Noah's 20th anniversary is in 2020, and there is the significance of doing it on the 4th January at Korakuen. This is a match that will decide Noah's future. I want to put on the GHC to show that "Noah is me". I will push Noah ahead now, fighting with determination.
KIYOMIYA: Last year, it was the same for the company, and I think in a crisis there were many things that changed, and in that everyone endured and endured, and I sowed the seeds. This year, I want to make the seeds bloom, and make everyone smile, and that is the Noah I want to pull. 

Q: You lost to Shiozaki directly in the last pre-match?
KIYOMIYA: Until now, it was something that I never experienced...still, as a champion, I think I turned a crisis into an opportunity, and that does not count for nothing.

Q: Shiozaki, what is your impression of the new belt, and what are your thoughts on the GHC Heavyweight?
SHIOZAKI: The GHC heavyweight belt is new, but I think it shines greatly, and for the champion to be unaffected by the polish is a great thing to say, but I know more about the history of the GHC than Kiyomiya. In Noah's 20th anniversary, I want to take this belt with all its meaning, and create a new significance.

Link to original article from Noah.co.jp
Picture credit: Noah.co.jp

Comments