(NOAH) "There is nothing but stimulation and excitement", strong state of the second unit, "I will break in" ~ interview with the new member of The Sugiura Army, Seiki Yoshioka.


24th April 2020
Documo

Seiki Yoshioka, formerly of WRESTLE-1, entered The Sugiura Army in a TV match broadcast on the 18th. He immediately challenged the team of HAYATA & YO-HEY for the GHC Junior Tag Championship, and although he lost, he showed off his high ability.

We talk to the man who is proud of being crowned a three time W-1 Cruiserweight champion, a talented person who was also active in STRONGHEARTS led by CIMA, and the reason why he chose the Noah Juniors, which is an almost unknown area, and is likely to become a key man in the new development of the Noah Juniors.

Interview with Seiki Yoshioka

Q: What made you decide to join The Sugiura Army and fight in Noah?
YOSHIOKA: The promotion I was with (W-1), has become inactive. NOSAWA contacted me at such a time when I was free and had no matches and said, "Do you want to wrestle?" I answered that I did, and he asked "How about you join the Sugiura Army Junior?". When W-1 stopped, I received a lot of offers from various promotions both big and small, I appreciate it because it gave me a lot of confidence, but I had to consider, "Which ring can I grow better in?". Although I had been to the RATELS box office, I had never been to Noah, so I thought there was plenty of room for growth by stepping into the unknown.
Q: Did you feel attracted to the Noah Juniors?
YOSHIOKA: Yes. I think that the juniors of other organisations have their core wrestlers, and the wrestlers who do have the momentum are limited, but i Noah everyone has a "look" that they can obtain as a wrestler. In short, it's a thick layer. So many rivals, and when I thought about what I had just entered, I thought, "This is fun." It's not fun if you can so easily get to top, and if there is no one to compete with, then I will not be able to grow.
Q: You were a three time W-1 Cruiserweight champion, but did you have any conflicts about jumping to another group of juniors?
YOSHIOKA: I am proud of the cruiserweight era in W-1, I didn't think the match would be inferior to other groups, but there were some areas where people with belts were limited. To be honest, there were times when I honestly thought that nothing would change, and even if it did then it wouldn't spread...but, there really are various types of Noah juniors, and I think if you come to Noah it is a good, and there is something that any wrestler can grow with.
Q: You have entered The Sugiura Army, but what are your impressions?
YOSHIOKA: I saw Sugiura have a singles match with Daisuke Harada at the RATELS produce, which was amazing. I know that we are the same group, but I would like to wrestle Sugiura one day. At his age, his body, his condition, his power and his stamina are all amazing. As the leader is that person, I had no resistance to entering the unit known as "The Sugiura Army." Moreover, if the leader is in that condition, then it puts pressure on me, and for that reason I could never pass this up. It's a good environment, isn't it?
Q: It is also a unit of members with various abilities
YOSHIOKA: It is an honor to be mixed in with them, however, I have to do my best to make my mark so I will not be buried. You can drive yourself in that way as well.
Q: When you went to Noah, did you feel like you clashed with a group of old friends like HAYATA & YO-HEY?
YOSHIOKA: I am aware of it, especially with the pair of them. HAYATA, although we are the same age, was senior to me in the WRESTLEGATE era, YO-HEY is the same age as me too. I think it was beneficial to be able to know the "current position" of YO-HEY & HAYATA with my first shot in Noah. It had been about ten years since HAYATA & I were in the same group.
Q: Was it a different person from ten years ago?
YOSHIOKA: Totally different. I have watched and had matches in J-STAGE several times, but experiences in Noah made it different. From the old days skill and movement have been good, but here the depth and significance have come out. I felt that on a number of occasions during the match.
Q: It was you who were faster than HAYATA, but it took the shape of a "challenge" to an opponent who should have made a difference.
YOSHIOKA: Well, I don't really think that there was much difference. For a long time HAYATA has never felt the glittering ambition, or the desire to improve with ambition, such as "I want to go to a bigger promotion someday!". Maybe that was just not communicated, but I thought that rather than to make a difference, I thought it was a waste...so, when I saw him wrestling in Noah, I thought "Don't waste it". However, I think there may have been changes in that area as well.
Q: Aside from HAYATA & YO-HEY, what other people are you interested in?
YOSHIOKA: Almost everyone, but I am particularly interested in Daisuke Harada. After seeing the match with Sugiura at the RATELS produce, I thought that he has a power which is not like a junior. I saw the TV match with Yoshinari Ogawa during this time, and thought it was an amazing technique. I also thought that Ohara, who I was partnering with, was pretty dependable. Dick Togo is also in the Sugiura Army Juniors. I have thought that he has been great since the days of WrestleGate, and I have always said "I want to wrestle him", but it hasn't happened, and I want to have a match as soon as possible. There are a lot of wrestlers I am looking forward to fighting. I am full of stimulation and I am excited.
Q: Of course the goal is to be GHC Junior, but...
YOSHIOKA: Yes, I want to be the GHC Junior champion in the future. But, when I lost the junior tag the other day I said "this is not the end, this is the beginning", and I want to take the junior tag with Ohara. To be honest, I have a little experience of fighting in "junior tag". For a while I had to team with Minoru Tanaka called "Too Sharp" and also with Susumu, but I haven't tagged with anyone for a long time. WRESTLE-1 didn't have a cruiserweight tag belt, and so I am really interested in the "Junior Tag Championship", although I challenged and lost.
Q: How was your response to losing?
YOSHIOKA: I don't feel hopeless, and I don't feel a difference in the response that I can make an impact. I think there is an element that I may have lost due to a difference in being "accustomed" to each other as a team. If adjustments can be made with Ohara, then I think The Sugiura Army will grow steadily because the people around us are great, so please look forward to it. I am ready to aim again anytime.
Q: The Noah Jnr's have developed into two strong positions of RATELS and STINGER, and now you have entered there are the Sugiura Army Juniors together with Kongoh. It's going to become a four unit conflict in full swing.
YOSHIOKA: Even if the most talented people have been doing the same thing for a long time, I'm sure some fans are used to it, and some are tired of it. I will start scratching at that, so please look forward to it. I will break it down. I think that the conflict between the various units will be directly linked to the junior tag conflict, so Ohara I will break in there.

Link to original article from Documo
Picture credit: Documo

Comments