(NOAH) "My hobby is SKE", Jurina Matsui's Noah commentary and "Idol Recommendation" to Kaito Kiyomiya

SKE48'S Jurina Matsui served as a guest commentator at Pro Wrestling Noah's TV match event, which was broadcast on May 10th. Jurina, who played a wrestler in the drama "Tofu Pro Wrestling", became a pro wrestling fan after actually having a "real version" of a match.
So, what was her impression after her first commentary on Noah? What is the appeal of pro wrestling as an idol? Immediately after the broadcast, we conducted an interview.

Q: It was a unique situation where you where commentating on an empty arena match in a remote private room.
JURINA: I was a bit nervous at being alone (laughs), but I was able to concentrate and watch. Normally, I watch live on my cellphone or tablet, so it was nice to see on a big monitor.

Q: Has it been a long time since you have watched Noah?
JURINA: I saw the event yesterday (9th May), but before that it has been the first time in a year.
Q: In that case, the appearance of the wrestlers and the power chart have changed a lot.
JURINA: It has changed a lot. Some wrestlers have a different look. Katsuhiko has become very wild, the impression of him before was refreshingly handsome, and then is Maybach (Taniguchi).
Q: He no longer uses a mask, but his real name (Shuhei Taniguchi)
JURINA: There are various changes, so I want to keep following it. For the juniors especially, this felt like a new start.

Q: You have seen various promotions, but how is Noah?
JURINA: Everyone has a strong personality. Since there are a lot of good looking wrestlers, it seems there will be an increase in a number of female fans. Also, aside from Katsuhiko and Kenoh, there aren't that many wrestlers with strong kicks. I really like the sound of the blows. I think Noah has a talent for making you feel the cracking sound of a blow. By the way, it seemed that there were a lot of wrestlers who are heels.

Q: Today's main event was Great Muta & Magical Immortality. It was a match that you cannot see anywhere else.
JURINA: It was exciting because I haven't seen many matches were the rules were broken. The image was scary...I think it was powerful to watch, and it makes me want to see it at the venue (laughs). But I think it would be interesting for people who are not familiar with pro wrestling, or children who want to watch the match.
Q: It was glorious on TV
JURINA: En route, Magical Immortality looked a little like Tekken* (laughs)

Q: In the drama "Tofu Pro Wrestling" you became a wrestler named Hollywood JURINA, and you actually had a match. Is it fun to be someone else?
JURINA: It's a lot of fun! When I get into the ring, I am a completely different person, the switch to being Hollywood JURINA is turned on. I was blonde, so I was especially "another person". It was said that the "Hollywood Feeling" was amazing when the dance performance bought people in (laughs).
Q: When you were dancing as Hollywood JURINA
JURINA: Pro Wrestling is really painful to practice. It hurts a lot. But, when you go to the ring, the adrenaline comes out and it becomes fun.

Q: In the commentary you said, "I want to wrestle", is this your personal point of view?
JURINA: Thank you (laughs). When I watched Noah today, I thought to myself again that "Pro Wrestling is fun".

Q: Did you feel that there was a difficulty in having no audience?
JURINA: After all, when there is a cheer from the customers, I think there is a feeling that you can fly with courage. I would be happy if there where calls, especially because there is an image that both Noah and the customers make the match together.

Q: How about idols? You have regular live events, and have studio recordings of popular songs, but now there are no live audiences.
JURINA: Usually with my fans live, I can maximise my power, even when I am tired I can still go, I can still dance with emotion. On the other hand, if a recorded song is overdone then the screen may not look good.

Q: You said that a degree of perfection for image is important
JURINA: With the empty arena is important to try a little self control. For live performances, it is important to "convey" this to everyone behind the camera. It may be live, but leading is something that needs to happen, so I have to pay attention to the details. There is also the issue of trying to increase the tension. There are differences between the two, but isn't it important for pro wrestlers to have tension? I think it is hard to do it without cheering when you settle on a big move.
Q: There is something in common?
JURINA: Watching pro wrestling, I learned a lot about microphone work. Without talking lazily, I can say what I want in about 15 or 30 seconds. Pro Wrestlers are great at choosing words.

Q: Among the 48 groups, it seemed that SKE'S enthusiasm or being a "fighting group" was suitable for pro wrestling.
JURINA: When I was first asked, "Do you want to do a pro wrestling drama?", I was at a loss of what to say. At that time I had been an idol for ten years, and as SKE'S dance was so intense, my body was already so painful. I was wondering what to do, but my dad likes pro wrestling and I thought, "I would like you to see me". However, because my character is a champion, I had to practice more than other people. I have to be better than everyone else.

Q: Although everyone starts the same, it is you who must be outstanding as a character.
JURINA: It was a great experience. The drama has triggered the support of pro wrestling fans, and I myself have become a fan of wrestling. Originally, I didn't have many hobbies, so I am happy that there is something now  I like so much. Staff members who like wrestling talk to me about it, and I have more friends.

Q: In the broadcast you mentioned that Kaito Kiyomiya, who is the same generation, you were a fan of. Kiyomiya said he "has no hobbies".
JURINA: I can understand that. I thought the same, that I had to concentrate on idols and on SKE, and not look at anything else. I think Kiyomiya might be like that, having to stand at the top at such a young age and feeling a lot of pressure to beat the powerful seniors. He doesn't have a belt now though, so I want him to enjoy his freedom.

Q: However, he is not going to take a break though?
JURINA: I think he can afford to have a hobby now. I want him to become an idol fan (laughs). By all means, make your hobby SKE (laughs).

Link to original article from ABEMA TV
Picture credit: ABEMA TV

*Japanese comedian, illustrator and self professed satanist.

Comments