(NOAH) The Nippon Budokan is a "Power spot for pro wrestlers"", Kenta Kobashi talks the "sacred place" where many fierce battles were fought

8th February 2021
ABEMA Times\Yahoo Japan

Pro Wrestling Noah's Nippon Budokan event is just round the corner (February 12th) for the first time in eleven years. 
In it's heyday, Noah frequently held big matches at this venue, and many fierce battles were fought. There must be many fans who are deeply moved by the "return" to the Budokan. Of course, it is the same for wrestlers, officials, and alumni such as Kenta Kobashi. Kobashi, who stood in the ring of the Budokan a year after his debut for All Japan, until his retirement match, and who won the award for "Best Bout" at the Pro Wrestling Awards for his match here, called the Nippon Budokan the "true sacred place".
Kobashi, who will be on commentary on the day of the event, talked about the Budokan and Noah's breakthrough. 

Q: How did you feel honestly when you heard that Noah would be holding an event at The Budokan for the first time in a while? 
KOBASHI: To be honest, I was surprised. I have experienced my retirement match there, but The Budokan is not a venue that can be easily rented. Even if the promotion has momentum, that alone is not enough, having an event at The Budokan means that the support system around you is getting stronger. 
Q: How are you seeing Noah's enrichment these days? 
KOBASHI: Last year due to Corona they had to start with empty arena due to Corona, and then they came to big venues such as the Yokohama Budokan and the Yoyogi No.2. With such an aggressive attitude, I felt that both the company and the wrestlers were positive. 
Q: You used to describe the Budokan as a "True Sanctuary" 
KOBASHI: I think the atmosphere, it's status, everything makes it the best professional wrestling in Japan. After all, it is different from other venues. I made my debut in 1988, and from 1989 until 2013 when I retired, I wrestled at The Budokan. I have no end of memories. Best Bout? I can't decide very well (laughs).
Q: Do you have any memorable memories of The Budokan, other than matches? 
KOBASHI: When practicing in the ring before the match, Giant Baba looked up at the flag hanging from the ceiling and asked, "I wonder how many times I will see this flag." I have had that kind of feeling too. 
Q: I think there is a deep emotion that Noah has returned to have a memorable Budokan
KOBASHI: In that passage of time from All Japan and Noah, I have a strong feeling of return. Noah has a lot of wrestlers who have not experienced The Budokan, so I want them to experience it. I think this is an opportunity for Noah to take another leap forward. For both promotions and the wrestlers, the Budokan is a power spot. You can be upgraded by a rank by having a match there. 
Q: Please give some advice to the young wrestlers who will wrestle for the first time at The Budokan. 
KOBASHI: I want you to come out as yourselves as usual. Rather than becoming nervous and trying to bring out something that is different from usual, you should be yourself. Then you will be able to see the answer naturally. Everyone will have that strength. 
Q: On the 12th February, what will be the noteworthy card at the Budokan? 
KOBASHI: That is Go Shiozaki and Keiji Mutoh. I talked to Go before he became champion, and said "If you don't lead, then Noah will not grow". There are people who lead the era, they are surrounded by rivals and other wrestlers. It is not interesting unless it has that form. Winning the battle against Mutoh will lead to the creation of that era.
Q: What are the main points of the match? 
KOBASHI: Mutoh has had a good career, but for him this match is a new challenge, isn't it? There is also the aspect of challenging himself. On the contrary, Go can't lose as champion. If he does lose, then it's going to be hard to rise to prominence in the future. I think Go is formidable in everything. Mutoh won't lose value by losing, but for Go, I think this will be the match of his pro wrestling life. 
Q: What do you expect from Noah after the Budokan event? 
KOBASHI: There is a limit to the number of seats currently, but when Corona is over, I believe that they will be able to run the Budokan a lot. I want the wrestlers to have an experience of fighting by turning the cheers of a venue full of customers into power. 
Q: Finally, do you have a message for the fans, who will be watching this event at the venue or live on air? 
KOBASHI: I want you to watch pro wrestling, I want you to see Noah, and dispel the current gloomy feelings. Also, before the event, you don't have to study it, but I think you will enjoy it more if you look back on the history of Noah. 

Comments