(NOAH) "Fucking asshole fans have given me the best birthday present" - Kenoh on the New Years Day 2022 Nippon Budokan event

17th August 2021
Yahoo.co.jp/ABEMA Times

From the time when Pro Wrestling Noah was struggling, the leader of Kongoh, Kenoh, has been making a public statement about his goal of holding an event at the Nippon Budokan. This finally came true on February 12th this year, but this time and on the special day of New Years Day 2022, an event at the Budokan will be held again. Kenoh talked about his honest thoughts about the realization of his "continuation of dreams".

Q: Noah's "New big announcement" was the Nippon Budokan event on New Year's Day 2022, but what are your honest thoughts? 
KENOH: I thought this was exactly an event for me. Naturally, I think "New Year's Day = My Day". Do you know why? 
Q: What is it? 
KENOH: January 1st is my birthday. I had set the goal of holding a Noah event at the Nippon Budokan for a long time, and it happened on February 12th of this year, and less than a year after that a Budokan event will be held again, this time on my birthday. Fans who watched the Nippon Budokan event in February, said loudly that they were very satisfied with it. Voices saying, "I want you do do it again", reached both Noah and me. That is why the Budokan on the 1st January has been made possible, so in that sense I am wondering if the fucking asshole fans have given me the best birthday present.
Q: Also, holding an event at The Budokan on New Year's Day will have a huge external impact, won't it? 
KENOH: New Year's eve has become established as a day for martial arts, and a big match on New Year's Day will have an impact because it has never been seen before in pro wrestling, and I think this will be a topic that will reach the world. I think it will be an amazing thing to start 2022. But, in order to really get off to a good start from New Year, the event must be a success. It's natural to succeed, and I think that we have to leave an impact that will make Noah even bigger with the Budokan on New Year's Day as a trigger. 
Q: When it comes to running The Budokan on January 1st, the schedule is close to New Japan's annual 4th January Tokyo Dome event, are you aware of it? 
KENOH: No, it will be later when we can say the word "aware" about the 4th January Tokyo Dome event. First of all, I think this can be said when the Budokan is successful on January 1st next year, and then again on January 1st the year after that, and then is established as an annual event. I think it is good to remember that we will "definitely show you something better than the competitors", but we don't have the right to say that yet. First of all, I just want to make The Budokan on January 1st next year the best. 
Q: That's right. Rather than comparing yourself to others, the attitude of showing the best of yourselves has not changed. 
KENOH: Visiting The Budokan then means going out on New Year's Day. Some people might find it difficult to go out on their own due to spending time with their families. When I was a kid I felt bitter because January 1st was my birthday, and so I never had a party on that day (laughs). However, January 1st is the day when many people are on holiday, so if you can't come to the venue, please watch it on the stream. 
Q: Most likely it will be broadcast live.
KENOH: So from now on on New Year's Day, I hope it will become customary to watch Noah at The Budokan after watching the New Year Ekiden* (laughs)
Q: Do you think you will play a central role at The Budokan on New Year's Day?
KENOH: I always think I am the central role. but since The Budokan is being held on January 1st, naturally I feel it more strongly than usual. The N-1 VICTORY starts next month, and if I can win then I can challenge for the GHC Heavyweight belt on the 10th October at the Edion Arena in Osaka. Truly, I think that the person who has the GHC Heavyweight will be the main part of The Budokan. I cannot fail in the N-1, and I am focused on winning and winning the GHC in Osaka right now. 
Q: N-1, 10th October in Osaka and The Budokan on New Year's Day are all connected? 
KENOH: Next year, January 1st will be the best 37th birthday. Until a few years ago, Noah was a promotion that had the GHC title matches at Korakuen. I kept saying, "My dream and your dream, is the Budokan, right?". We finally went there in February of this year, but that is not the real goal. Noah used to run The Budokan four to five times a year, so after that dream is fulfilled, there is another one. I think that The Budokan on January 1st 2022 will be a big first step and I want to make it an event that asshole fucking fans will definitely say, "I want to see it again at The Budokan on January 1st next year". So follow me!

*The New Year Ekiden is an annual New Year's Day relay race run in Gunma. It has it's roots in the journey from Kyoto to Tokyo where it commemorates the anniversary of the old capital Kyoto (where the Emperor had his court) being moved to Tokyo (where the Shogun ruled). The route from Kyoto to Tokyo being part of the old Edo road, where official documents travelled via post horses in relays. The New Year races are between corporations i.e. Japanese National Railway etc.

Comments