(NOAH) Proving "Junior Power" to Sakuraba, Tanaka and Nakajima in his N-1 participation - interview with Kotaro Suzuki.


9th September 2021
Noah.co.jp

Kotaro Suzuki will participate in Noah's biggest league event of the year, the "N-1 VICTORY 2021". He is the only entry who is active in the current Noah Juniors during their "Warring States Era". Although his participation as the GHC Junior Champion has not come true, we asked Kotaro who is devoting himself to fighting carefully selected heavyweight members with his commitment to being a "lifelong junior", about his current feelings as he throws himself into this world.

Q: What are your honest thoughts about participating in the N-1? 
KOTARO: First of all, the fact that I was permitted to enter the N-1 made me wonder if my power as a junior is being acknowledged. That is why I really wanted to wear the singles belt (the GHC Junior), but I was a little unskilled (defeated by HAYATA). However, my power doesn't change with or without a belt, and my value hasn't changed either. Why it may be true that I am a junior, I can't go into the reasons why I was unskilled, so I want to breathe fresh air in. 
Q: Because you have declared to be a Noah Junior for a lifetime, do you have a strong desire to represent the division> 
KOTARO: I am the only person who fights in the category of a "junior". It's not billed as that, but I have the sentiment as a junior representative. 
Q: Currently, the number of active heavyweights are at 100kg or less, which you have sometimes disputed
KOTARO: It may be an old idea, but if the belts are separated by weight, then I think the ones who haven't reached that point are juniors, right? That's how I see it. If you exceed 100kg, then you are a heavyweight. 
Q: In that case, the people in the same block - Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kazushi Sakuraba, Masato Tanaka...
KOTARO: Yeah, I think there is no "difference" in height and weight. They are a little bigger than me, right? I am 86 kg now, so isn't it unlucky that there are some people who are no different from me? Maybe they are not as featherweight as I am. 
Q: If you can do it without being sufficiently overpowered...
KOTARO: Yeah. Even if there is a difference, I think that it is only about 4kg or 5kg, so I can cover all that much
Q: From the first match, you will be fighting Sakuraba? 
KOTARO: Well, I never thought I would fight him in a singles. If it goes to the mat, then I think there will be a difference between technology and career. But, if I drag him into the branch of professional wrestling...I've been doing this for 20 years. 
Q: However, looking at Kazushi Sakuraba's fight on the Noah mat so far, it's hard for his opponent to stay on track. 
KOTARO: It seems difficult, doesn't it? To put it another way, do you know that it is difficult to compete in the "pro wrestling" division? Defending yourself means that if you are pulled into pro wrestling to defend yourself, then I think there is a good chance of victory.
Q: What is your impression of Kazushi Sakuraba? 
KOTARO: If you look at the category of pro wrestling, there are many points to think about. Wrestling allows fouls for five seconds however, anything is possible in the ring, and I think there is big difference in ground submissions and movements. But, how to bring it to standing techniques...I want to use "space"
Q: There are many ways to get the pin
KOTARO: That's true. There are a lot of techniques in pro wrestling that are not in the world of Mixed Martial Arts. If I use that then you can aim at everything, right? 
Q: What about Masato Tanaka? 
KOTARO: He had a double title match with Sugiura before the start of the N-1. He is pretty strong. As some who uses elbows, I don't want to hold back. If I use my head, won't it be carried evenly? 
Q: You have participated on the same shows as Masato Tanaka, but but I haven't seen many matches. 
KOTARO: Yes, I was in ZER01, but I don't think we have fought even once. Do I want to try it? Of course! When we fight, I definitely don't want to hold back when it comes to elbows...
Q: There will also be an opportunity to win a single with Katsuhiko Nakajima for a first time in a while
KOTARO: In my memory, the singles are 1 win and 1 loss*. The first I won and took the belt, the 2nd time I don't remember past the high kick
Q: Nearly ten years have passed since then
KOTARO: Yeah, Nakajima is a heavyweight now, but I have always bought pride to the juniors. However, I don't think that his size (as in his height/weight) has changed much. So isn't this just the paths that we have both taken, crossing? 
Q: It is a block with a lot of powerful wrestlers, but even if you do manage to win, the semi finals and the finals are waiting for you? 
KOTARO: It's an annual heavyweight league battle, if not it wouldn't make sense for me to not appear in the juniors. I think it's a rewarding league match.
Q: Who is the wrestler you are most interested in in another block? 
KOTARO: My head is full of my block right now...I will think about it after I have passed through. I can't help thinking of a wrestler that I don't know if I will fight, right? 
Q: On the contrary, if you advance to the finals and win the championship, you have the decision to challenge Naomichi Marufuji for the GHC Heavyweight...
KOTARO: I keep feeling that I want to do it again. I fought him last year, but I lost. 
Q: Do you want revenge on your older brother in a GHC Heavyweight showdown? 
KOTARO: But I am not going to be a heavyweight. So even if I win the N-1 and beat Marufuji in the title match, I will challenge for the GHC Junior again. 
Q: Are you not influenced by anyone around you? 
KOTARO: That's because I am a Noah Junior.
Q: What kind of league match do you want to take in the N-1 again? 
KOTARO: It can't be helped to talk big, but I am going to appear in the N-1 for the first time. I want to prove the power of the juniors, and blow fresh air in. 

*This was in Katsuhiko Nakajima's Noah junior era


Comments