(NOAH) Noah Junior Night 3: Interview with GHC Junior Tag Champions Atsushi Kotoge & YO-HEY


25th April 2022
Noah.co.jp

(Questions where submitted by fans on Noah's Space Twitter function) 

Q: I think the event on the 29th April is quite challenging because it is only for juniors, but to be honest, the ticket sales are not as good as the event the next day. What do both of you think about this situation? 
KOTOGE: The other day, senior management informed me of the current situation. To be honest, it is hard to hear that we didn't reach our goal. What should I say...it's bad isn't it? 
YO-HEY: Yes, that's right. It's painful, isn't it? It's painful and disappointing. 
KOTOGE: But, there is really no end to saying negative things. And since it is so easy to throw away, you might wonder what it is like from the company's point of view. In order to succeed anyway, it may be strange to say that I am going to do anything. The Noah Junior Army is really united, and the Noah Junior Week has started. It's painful, but I am going to do what I can do without stopping. 
YO-HEY: If we really stop here and give up, then that's it. Therefore, while there are still some areas that need to be improved on after accepting a difficult situation, the feeling is that we will definitely succeed. I think we have to have that kind of feeling. 
 
Q: From the both of you, it feels like the juniors are just as confident as the heavyweights
YO-HEY: Yes, because we are doing this confidently. I think this is a great opportunity for many people to see the Noah Juniors, so I hope that you will come and visit us. 
Q: There will also be a live broadcast on ABEMA that day
KOTOGE: Well, by all means please come to the venue. Thank you for your requests, but we will definitely deliver something wonderful to you. In the end, I am most happy to have you experience it live. 
YO-HEY: In relation to Kotoge, I only have the following words. In addition to that, at yesterday's NoahFes, listening to the tone of voices and seeing the facial expressions of anticipation of everyone who listened live, became our power. This may be a request, but I would be happy if you could spread it round even a little that "Noah is very interesting! I went to Noah because it was so interesting."
KOTOGE: Yes. In the end, yesterday's NoahFes is still a little unfinished, but it was a place that saved, even if the current situation was pointed out. Of course, I understand the current situation, but I felt the power and enthusiasm of the fans about NoahFes yesterday. There were so many customers, even more than the staff expected, so that the time rented at the venue was exceeded. I'm really grateful for yesterday, and I'm really happy to have that power.
YO-HEY: Kotoge said in the subsequent Instagram, that he felt tired, but in a good way. I felt like I was a narrator, but it feels good to feel this tiredness. The beer was really delicious after I got home (laughs). 

Q: I think you have seen the video of the harsh situation Jushin Liger (YouTube), but please tell us what you think about it.
YO-HEY: To tell you the truth, I accept that I was disappointed when I was told. Certainly. For myself, please pay attention to the previous match against New Japan. That's what Liger said, but you might have thought that match was awesome. But, if I had had more of a Noah match, and a match that made a topic blossom, then it would have caught Liger's particular attention. Well, it caught the attention of many people, not just Liger. It's a regret that it is connected to this Ryogoku event. 
KOTOGE: I shouldn't really agree with what someone higher up in another promotion says, but it's am issue while I'm in the ring. Liger saying weak output and lack of depth, where issues I had been thinking about, and I was forced to think as it resonated. But in the end, I was disappointed and what caught me was Liger's "trueborn", the word for someone who grew up in Noah really got me. It's been nine years since I came to Noah in May, but from Liger's perspective, I am not a Noah person. Quite frankly, in the past there was the NTV G Cup Junior Competition, in which we fought in the qualifying and the finals there. I was a little shocked when to think he was fighting someone who is not from Noah. Well, I lost the finals then, so there is a sense of what he said, but in the end it depends on the result. If we don't make this Ryogoku event a success, and the customers do not take any notice, then our seniors will say "I told you."
YO-HEY: That is true for me too. I belong to Noah, and I think it's been about five years since I came here. I am disappointed too. Certainly, Noah Junior has become everyone now, even people who understand Noah a little, and even now Marufuji's instincts come out. But, surrounding me, who are Noah Juniors?! When that happens I really have to have more of an ego and I have to show it. I think I have to think more about what to do to get attention. 

Q: Talking about Marufuji right now, he mentioned the Noah Juniors in the YouTube video. 
YO-HEY: Well, the aura is different. Sure enough, the juniors are different, they are magnificent unlike the heavyweights as Marufuji said. I believe we were told to do more and more brilliant fights that cannot be done with a heavyweight body...
KOTOGE: That's right, yeah, well...oh, I'm sorry I butted in (laughs)
YO-HEY: Please do
KOTOGE: I don't like glorifying the past too much, but the Noah Juniors who I saw before I became a wrestler, where amazing. They did Budokan events something like every month*. So far we haven't been able to ourselves, but for example, someone in the Noah Junior Regulars is a person who has a career that is relatively close to me, or someone who is a younger student. I think we haven't experienced the very amazing era of pro wrestling since becoming wrestlers*. With that kind of significance, the Noah Junior Army is holding the Ryogoku Kokugikan with enthusiasm, because it is being done only by juniors. When the event was decided on, I wanted to create the scenes of that era, where such pro wrestling was amazing. I want to see that landscape, and I think the way the seniors around me see it, will change the way they look at it. So in that sense as well, I definitely want to make this event a success. 

Q: Also, the video of the roundtable discussion (YouTube) in which three Perros Del Mal De Japon members watched the footage of the training camp was uploaded. 
YO-HEY: Right...well, naturally I was disappointed by what Perros said about it, but personally I thought that the special training was really tough. Thanks to that the Junior Regular Army was very organized, and after the special training, I really think a strong bond was born between the six people who took part. However, it isn't really communicated well to people, and in this era I think that the number of views on YouTube is also important. But isn't the video growing in that respect as well? So, what is it? I think the same can be said that we must continue to provide products that suit the times.
KOTOGE: I agree. Well, we really want our actions to bring about the success of the Ryogoku event. If that doesn't produce a result, then I think it can't helped to be criticized. But this is what I am prepared for. So, if that is how it is perceived then instead of stopping the action, I think there is no other choice than to continue to act to cause envy.
YO-HEY: Kotoge-san! Kotoge-san's remarks now, Kotoge-san I really like them!
KOTOGE: The following is the same sentence said.
YO-HEY: My heart is pounding a little now. 
KOTOGE: Ultimately, I think that criticism for taking action will definitely happen, but when you take action, either total success or failure will occur. We have to succeed, and I think there is no limit to what we can do, but first I and the other members will clench our teeth and move forward.
YO-HEY: Yes! The same as above

Q: Now about the title defense on the 29th against the challengers Yoshinari Ogawa and Chris Ridgeway, please let us know your enthusiasm. 
YO-HEY: I have fought against Ogawa so far in the pre-matches, but really if a chance presents itself, then the flow of the match can be grabbed in an instance. Honestly, Kotoge was attacked in his knees at the start of the pre matches in Ogawa Hell. I just took the chance, and conversely I think we can go in the right direction with my dropkick. But, I think Ogawa had a sense this was 2 on 1, and I don't think this is going to be the case when Chris enters, so what to do when that happens even more? We are very close friends, so I think we have to have more and more strategy meetings and devise countermeasures. 
KOTOGE: Well, I think I have told you about things like match enthusiasm and being attacked in the pre matches at various points. There will be a press conference on the 27th. That's why I am talking live about my raw feelings now, but talking about Marufuji and Liger on YouTube, I remember what I thought about it later. Marufuji and Liger gave a very high evaluation of Ogawa, and naturally I think that Ogawa is highly evaluated by any wrestler in any promotion. Not only in Japan, but all over the world. I think that someone like me should have a different evaluation of Ogawa as we are having a title match at the Ryogoku event...so it isn't probably good to say that before the match. However, I am really grateful that he will be standing in front of us as a barrier. I watched a video about Chris. He wants to wear Noah's belt and prove that he is world renowned great wrestler. In that sense, I am glad to thank him for respecting the value of Noah's belt. Chris will come to Japan and fight in a title match, which will increase the attention from the world. I will remember that part with gratitude and respect. I will say this many times, but YO-HEY and I are prepared for this fight. We can't lose, and we will definitely defend. I'm sorry, I might have gotten a little off point, but these are my thoughts while live. 
YO-HEY: Just a little, Kotoge-san. I love that kind of thing of yours. 
KOTOGE: I am saved a lot by YO-HEY (laughs)

Q: Finally, what kind of theme and what kind of significance does the April 29th Junior only Ryogoku event have for both of you? 
YO-HEY: Speaking of meaning and theme, I am doing my best for the 29th, but I don't want people to think I am going it for a final boss fight*. We would like to make the event on the 29th one that can be said to be the start of new Noah Juniors. 
KOTOGE: It's almost the same as YO-HEY, but after the event is over, I want to strongly make it a successful and exciting event that makes me proud that the future Noah Juniors are us.     
 

Notes
*Not on their own, as part of Noah's "Golden Era", but it cannot be denied they had big matches though. 
*I.e. the Golden Era
*Like the big finale of a computer game

Comments