(NOAH) Keiji Mutoh talks freely, "PPV at retirement match", "Cut ties" for O-Khan

8th September 2022
Tokyo Sports

"Pro Wrestling Master" Keiji Mutoh (59), talks big. 
Noah announced on the 7th that his retirement event will be held on February 21st next year at the Tokyo Dome. Although his opponent is undecided, it has been decided that his comrade-in-arms "Black Charisma" Masahiro Chono (58) will act as guest commentator on the day. The pro-wrestling genius, who has finally reached the goal in his pro wrestling life, is "outspoken" in this exclusive interview with this paper. 

At the Osaka event on the 3rd, his incarnation, The Great Muta struck New Japan's Great-O-Khan with the green mist and unexpectedly cut ties. 

Q: Your retirement match has been set for the Tokyo Dome, the same as your teacher Antonio Inoki
MUTOH: I'm honored. For a wrestler, it is blissful because none of Hashimoto (Shinya), Misawa (Mitsuharu) and Chono, have had a retirement match. I am really blessed. 
Q: In recent years, there have been surprisingly few wrestlers who have had a retirement match.
MUTOH: I don't think so...Riki Choshu has done it twice. 
Q: Regarding the confirmation of, "the last day"
MUTOH: It's easy to say that things are made easier now that the goal has been decided, but it's just I will miss it. It's like, "Oh, it's finally been decided"...but at the same time, there is also a nervous feeling that "this time, I have to finish this race". It's an odd story, but I definitely won't catch Corona at that time, because if I do, I will be like "What are you doing?".  I'm going to be so nervous, that my family will need to get involved too. It's hard.
Q: What was the condition of your knees and your hip that has led to your retirement? 
MUTOH: It's so-so, but we have a good relationship. I think things are getting better in that situation. 
Q: If your students gather for your retirement, it will become virtually an all-star. 
MUTOH: After W-1 (which he led) collapsed (in 2020), no one quit pro wrestling. They are in many places; Noah, All Japan, GLEAT, New Japan, DragonGate...it's just that I am pretty hated (laughs). I might call, but there is a high chance that I will be rejected. 
Q: Would it be ideal for your students to gather? 
MUTOH: That's not exactly true. The ideal is the ability to attract customers. The students also have various students, so some are excellent and some are not. This time I can do a PPV. Takeru and (Nasukawa) Tenshin were amazing*.
Q: It is said that "THE MATCH" on June 19th, when the two fought each other at The Tokyo Dome, had 500,000 PPV buys.
MUTOH: That's amazing. Even if it's difficult to do that, honestly, I think that's the best style for pro wrestling to succeed in a situation where the power of television (i.e. terrestrial broadcasting) is weakening. America has been like that for decades. Television broadcasts are nothing more than publicity, and I think that Japanese pro wrestling, which is aimed at PPV, should use that kind of logic from now on. 
Q: With your retirement match as a trigger, do you want to bring the era of PPV to pro wrestling? 
MUTOH: Yes. I hope it penetrates deeply. So, for that reason, I need to do a lot of research on excellent apprentices and guys who can earn PPV figures. Well, it would be nice if I could finally do something that goes towards the future.
Q: Changing the subject, why do you think that Muta sprayed O-Khan with the green mist? 
MUTOH: It was a one night stand. He's going back to Hell, so I think that's why he did it. 
Q: O-Khan is furious, and says Muta will be executed publicly. 
MUTOH: No matter how much fuss he makes, it is not possible to open the door to demon realm for him. I think it was offensive as he was looking down on the whole thing when he teamed with Muta. Isn't your partner the world famous Muta? I think that is what the poison mist meant. A match between O-Khan and Muta? I don't think it is necessary. 
Q: Then, what did Keiji Mutoh think of the wrestler, O-khan?
MUTOH: He is an interesting wrestler and reminds me of the wrestlers of the Showa era. He has a dynamic and subtle touch, and he is surprisingly precise. Could it be the girl that he helped the other day, was also his niece?* He is an elaborate guy, so much so that I think it might be a work. In a way, I want him to take care of himself. Well, I think Muta has broken with him, although only Muta knows. 

Notes
*Kickboxers 
*O-Khan rescued a girl from a hooligan at the JR Musashi-Kosugi Station on March 29th. After she was rescued, he called out to her "Do you want to eat pancakes?"

Comments