(NOAH) Interview with Kenoh, a professional wrestler from Tokushima, who will hold an event to commemorate the 15th anniversary of his debut at the Tokugin Tomony Arena.


24th March 2023
Awawa WEB

Did you know that people from Tokushima are active in the world of pro wrestling, starting with Jinsei Shinzaki, who recently held a show to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his debut in Tokushima? 
Kenoh, who I will introduce this time, is one of them. In Japanese Kempo, which started from childhood, he won the All Japan Championships* and World Championships, and was scouted by Jinsei Shinzaki to join Michinoku Pro Wrestling. In 2008, he made his ring debut in his hometown of Tokushima, and started his career as a pro wrestler. In March 2015, he transferred to Pro Wrestling Noah, and announced his move to heavyweight at the end of 2016. He won GLOBAL LEAGUE 2017, which was his first appearance, and won the GHC Heavyweight Championship for the first time in December of the same year. In 2019, he formed the rebel group "Kongoh" with those who are dissatisfied with the new system and even now they are demonstrating their leadership as a core unit in Pro Wrestling Noah's conflict. 

In commemoration of the 15th anniversary of his debut this year, Kenoh has given an interview about his enthusiasm for the match in his hometown of Tokushima, and his thoughts on holding the event. 

Q: Looking back on your 15 year career, what has left an impression on you the most? 
KENOH: I think it was when I made my professional debut in 2008, the venue is the same as the 15th anniversary event, with my opponent being Alexander Otsuka, a local senior. When I was a child, I saw pro wrestling held in Tokushima, and I started to think, "I want to do pro wrestling too". I was truly moved by the fact that I was able to climb into the ring that I had aspired for. My family and friends came to support me, and I got strength from that encouragement. Unfortunately, I lost, but I was so nervous that I barely remember what was important (laughs). 

Q: You were able to share joys and sorrows with the person you admired in the same promotion. How do you look back on your Michinoku days? 
KENOH: Even though it is said to be the same promotion, Jinsei-san and I at the time had too different careers, so it was presumptuous to share joys and sorrows together. I had a lot of experiences during the Michinoku Pro era, but when it comes to what remains in my memory, it's definitely about Jinsei-san. I think I was able to learn more than ever before about the coolness of each and every one of his actions, and this thoughts on Tokushima. It's a pathetic little story, but when I first joined the promotion, I was surprised at how much they practiced (laughs). Especially passive*, and I struggled at first because I wasn't very good at it. However, I would like to thank everyone who taught me at the time, so that I was able to reach my 15th anniversary thanks to hard practice. Now I am perfectly passive even when I get drunk drinking alcohol! (Laughs)

Q: You are currently active in Pro Wrestling Noah. Kenoh-san, please tell us about the appeal of Noah. 
KENOH: I think it's a place where you can unleash powerful strikes and techniques with a strong lineup. I think that even with people with a little knowledge of pro wrestling, will have a lot of excitement when they see it, and I would like you to pay attention to the aggressive stance in the industry. Even when all the events were canceled due to the pandemic, in order not to extinguish the flames of pro wrestling, empty arena matches were held as soon as possible and from the desire to let as many people as possible know about pro wrestling, it was broadcast for free on ABEMA. If you are new to pro wrestling, check out Pro Wrestling Noah first. 

Q: You started YouTube as a new personal endeavor, right? 
KENOH: In 2022, "The Kenoh Channel" opened. As my career progressed, I began to think that I wanted to contribute more to pro wrestling, and that's how I ended up on YouTube. Naturally, I want the mutherfucking fans to enjoy it, and in a good way, you never know who is watching YouTube, so I think it is a chance to connect with people who didn't know about pro wrestling. That's why I'm not neglecting to research what kind of stories are buzzing, so check out "The Kenoh Channel". 

Q: Please tell us about your enthusiasm for the 15th anniversary show to be held in June. 
KENOH: I'll do my best to live up to the expectations of the mutherfucking fans of Tokushima. Also, if my image of fighting is to be realized, I want many children to see it. At the shows I saw when I was a kid, I saw pro wrestlers fighting bravely and they looked like heroes. Just like how I admired Jinsei's example and became a pro, I promise to fight so that future stars can be inspired by me!


Notes
*Not All Japan Pro Wrestling or associated with.
*Passive is roughly the equivalent of how to sell or how to take moves defensively.

Comments