(NOAH) "I want to fight" Aoki's first Noah participation, Funaki "challenge". Press conference for the first showdown in six years.


1st May 2023
Pro Wrestling DX

AOKI: I am Aoki, who will be competing (in Noah) for the first time. I want to fight head on with all my strength, and I want to take my time and be the best at the end. I would like to beat Masakatsu Funaki.
FUNAKI: Ever since this match was decided, Aoki has been in my head. Today I woke up at 5am and went to the gym. I think I'm just nervous. That is what it is, as Aoki maintains that kind of tension. We had a singles at IGF before, and I remember the speed, the strength and the technique like it was yesterday, and I had a really bad ending at the time. How many years has it been since then? How many years? I think it has been a while, but I never thought that I would be able to have another singles again, and like this in a Noah ring. I've already turned 54 and at a quick glance, Aoki is 39. Years go by in the blink of an eye, so think of this moment as the last. This time, I am the challenger, so I will do my best to challenge myself. Thank you. 
Q: What is your impression of Funaki? 
AOKI: You know, as I get older, the story gets longer, so I have to be careful as I get older, but I think it figures that he will always be strong, even after a long time. No matter how much time passes, his condition will be good, and I think he will always have strength in facing me. I feel like I'm facing a tough opponent, or rather a strong one anew. 
Q: It was six years ago when you fought at IGF, is there anything you would like to do this time, making use of what you have learned from the last time?
FUNAKI: After six years, how far can I keep my endurance? It's been six years since Aoki, so I want to challenge myself comparing our physical strength, whether it's falling or maintaining the parallels, and checking the answers to those questions. I think Aoki will give me straight answers like, "You've failed this much" or, "still good". As this is Aoki, I think I'll get an answer right away, so I'm nervous because of the good vibes after a long time.
Q: What are your thoughts in fighting in Noah's ring? 
AOKI: I think it is a very strong ring, which I wished for, but it took longer than I expected. Taking that much time is worth it, and I think it's a meaningful place, so I think I'm just going to enjoy it, but I want to express myself with all my strength. 
Q: The GHC martial arts rule will be adopted, but how will this rule be utilized? 
AOKI: Well, as there is no pin, you can't use that to get submissions and you can't use submissions to get the pin, so I think that the range will be narrower. Therefore, I think we can really fight seriously, so I want to cross swords strongly. 
FUNAKI: Free down and free escape, so it's ground and submission. The last time, I knew that I couldn't compete, and so if I think something is dangerous, then I want to escape as soon as possible, connect it to what comes next, and then bring it to my own progression. I don't think it's going to be that easy, but it's a challenge, including that.  

Comments