(NOAH) "Interested in the GHC Championship? Of course!" Josh Barnett fights Masakatsu Funaki in his first participation.


May 15th 2023
Tokyo Sports

"Blue eyed Kenshiro"* Josh Barnett (USA, 45) responded to an interview, and revealed his feelings for Noah, in which he will be participating in for the first time. At the Edion Arena Osaka First Stadium event on September 3rd, he will face Masakatsu Funaki (54) under GHC Martial Arts Rules*. I'm already looking forward to it. 

Q: A match with Funaki has been decided. 
BARNETT: I've seen almost all of the match footage and training videos from when he was young and active in Pancrase and UWF. For his age, he's still as sharp as ever, and I think he is still very dangerous. But, I don't have the image of fighting anything other than a dangerous athlete. 
Q: You watched the match from the commentary seat at the Ryogoku event on the 4th.
BARNETT: I felt that the strikes, especially the kicks, were very sharp. I never expected the ankle joint to be the outcome against Shinya Aoki. I thought he was a very dangerous fighter because his movements were totally on point.
Q: In particular, where did you feel the danger?
BARNETT: Funaki had an image of being calculating when he was young, and I think that's still the case now, but as he's gotten older, he's got more cautious. Moreover, when it comes to the ground, I think his technique has increased more than before.
Q: You win in the difference in physique
BARNETT: Naturally, as I am bigger than him at (191cm, 117kg), I plan to come up with a strategy to win by size, but Funaki has the ability to read ahead, so I can't let my guard down. Moreover, Masakatsu Funaki has a track record of winning against athletes who are much bigger than me. He beat the world's tallest mixed martial artists, Semmy Schilt (212cm). Both Funaki and I have been Pancrase champions, we worked hard and were inspired by each other. This time, as champions of the same belt, I think we can determine who is stronger. 
Q: Are you interested in the GHC Heavyweight Championship?
BARNETT: Of course! I'm a belt collector. But, before anything else, I'm only thinking about the match with Funaki, and after beating him I want to explore the strengths and weaknesses of the other wrestlers. But Jake Lee (the champion) is very strong. I think he's the perfect wrestler, because he's good at everything. He also has a background in Mixed Martial Arts, and he feels similar to me. It's not that I want to fight him because he's the champion, I want to fight him because he is Jake Lee. But, I have already found a way to win. It's a secret, of course. 
Q: What did you feel after watching the Ryogoku event?
BARNETT: I thought it was wonderful that the card was amazing and that it was standardized as an event. Noah's concept of embarking on a new journey suits me as being able to participate in Noah is a new journey for me. It will be a big event again this time, but I am sure that Funaki and myself will go above and beyond.


Notes
Blue eyed Kenshiro: Kenshiro is the main character from "Fist of The North Star", of which Josh Barnett is an avid fan. 
GHC Martial Arts Rules: The win can only be achieved by submission, KO or TKO.

Comments