(NOAH) "Don't carry Noah with you, go it alone" - Naomichi Marufuji, who has participated in the G1 twice, encourages Kaito Kiyomiya.


23rd July 2023
Tokyo Sports

Noah's ace, Kaito Kiyomiya's first participation in New Japan's G1 Climax (opens on July 15th in Sapporo) has generated a great response. At the Korakuen Hall show on the 22nd, New Japan's Yota Tsuji (29) visited to scout out his enemy. As the momentum for the festival is growing, what is the encouragement that Naomichi Marufuji (43), the genius who has participated in the G1 twice as a member of Noah, will send to his junior? 

Marufuji, who participated in the G1 in 2012 and 2016 advises, "I think it would be better if he didn't say something like "carrying Noah with me", and went to the G1 as "individual pro wrestler, Kaito Kiyomiya". I never carried Noah with me, and you can demonstrate its power in that way". 

Although he missed out on winning both tournaments, he bought home "the spoils". In the 2012 tournament, he defeated the then IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and in the 2016 tournament, defeated the then IWGP Champion, Kazuchika Okada, both of which led to a challenge for the title. Looking back, he advised Kiyomiya that, "I thought New Japan expected something from me, and I challenged with the feeling that I would respond to that. I was confident that I could win, if I did what I was doing in Noah." He urged Kiyomiya with, "Kiyomiya has won the GHC Heavyweight many times, and even I, who defended it well lost many times...have confidence."

This years G1 has 32 wrestlers, the largest number in history. It is said that winning is not enough because there are many unique wrestlers from both Japan and overseas. "Kiyomiya is growing in his career, not only in matches, but also in his choice of words, mannerisms and gestures. That's why I want you to use the G1, and learn how to stand out".

In order to concentrate on the G1, Kiyomiya will miss Noah's singles league "N-1 VICTORY 2023" (starts August 6th in Yokohama). Marufuji, who supports his decision, says "Win all the league matches, win the championship, get the right to challenge for the belt, and take it. And if you can get something extra, it's profitable."

Can the Ace of The Ark live up to his seniors expectations? 

Comments