(NOAH) CHAMP TALK: HAYATA

Weekly Pro
July 19th 2023 

Q: In October last year, you lost the GHC Junior Championship after injuring your left arm in a title defense against Ninja Mack. After that, you were forced to take a long absence.
HAYATA: A loss is a loss. I had a good rest.
Q: I don't remember long term absence
HAYATA: Up until now, I've been a little absent due to the flu* and a rib injury, but I haven't been absent for such a long time since I debuted.
Q: Your strong
HAYATA: Speaking of which, the doctor told me that I have strong bones. I don't take calcium, but I think its because I smoke.
Q: .......
HAYATA: I can only thank Ninja for giving me a day off.
Q: When you returned in February this year, you defeated AMAKUSA in April and regained the GHC Junior Championship. What are your impressions of AMAKUSA, who made a name for himself in the Noah juniors during your absence?
HAYATA: He worked hard while I was absent.
Q: Did you watch him in action?
HAYATA: That question, is a stupid question. 
Q:...When you returned to the GHC Junior Championship, you nominated Ninja Mack as your challenger.
HAYATA: I wanted to defend the belt against Ninja as soon as possible as a thanks for giving me a good rest.
Q: On the 4th May after defeating Ninja Mack's challenge in Ryogoku and Dante Leon's challenge in Nagoya on June 17th, you said "Looking to the outside world"
HAYATA: This is my 5th GHC Junior. I have beaten most of the Noah Juniors, so the next challenger is the champion class of another promotion, or an overseas wrestler.
Q: At ALL TOGETHER on the 9th June, you faced the IWGP Junior Champion Hiromu Takahashi and then the World Junior Champion Atsuki Aoyagi. Did that match inspire you?
HAYATA: Well, of course. 
Q: How was the match?
HAYATA: I wasn't deeply involved with anyone, basically I was surveying the whole scene.
Q: What was your impression of the wrestlers that occured at that time?
HAYATA: Aoyagi brothers don't have a lot of belts. Not much of an impression. 
Q: As a side note, after that match you said, "If it's Hiromu Takahashi, we can do it while we both have belts"
HAYATA: It was the spur of the moment
Q: After losing the World Junior Championship, Aoyagi came to challenge for the GHC Junior Championship.
HAYATA: I wanted him to come with his belt
Q: How did you feel when you received his challenge on the 9th July in Hachioji?
HAYATA: Because I wanted to do it with someone from the outside, I was happy that he came all the way, but he was empty handed.
Q: Aoyagi said, "I thought HAYATA was cool. Of course, his expression and demeanor was different, but I'm pretty sure it's the belt." 
HAYATA: Well, of course.
Q: The title match has just been arranged for July 20th in Shinjuku
HAYATA: Looking forward to it. Up until now, there have been pre-matches, but this time it's settled in one go. On the contrary, there has been no title match with this much sense of tension. 
Q: What about versus All Japan?
HAYATA: I used to appear quite a lot once.
Q: From 2007 to 2016, you participated eight times. 
HAYATA: I worked with Aoyagi's older brother* and Jake Lee   
Q: What should Aoyagi watch out for?
HAYATA: Youth.
Q: He's 23 years old
HAYATA: He may be an ace in the All Japan Juniors, but I will teach him that there is something better. Look forward to it.

Translated from Weekly Pro
Picture credit: Weekly Pro
(Issue No.2254)

Notes
Flu: Fans asked YO-HEY how Wife was. YO-HEY later reflected that he thought that HAYATA got sick due to the strain of being GHC Junior Champion.
Older brother: HAYATA doesn't use his name as using "older brother" (biological), is more polite.

Comments