(NOAH) The determination of the departed! Comments from each wrestler.

Weekly Pro
4th July 2000

AKIRA TAUE
Q: What was the main reason you decided to leave?
TAUE: The main reason? Well, I agree with Misawa's ideas, and mine are almost the same. That's why I decided to quit.
Q: Do you have any concerns about the launch of a new promotion? 
TAUE: There is apprehension. I'm worried, and I think it's going to be challenging from now on*
Q: A few words to Kawada, who remained in All Japan?
TAUE: We have been tag partners for a while, but from now on we're going our separate ways. But, at the same time, I miss you...
Q: What have you talked about with Kawada at this time?
TAUE: Well, I didn't talk like that at all. However, when I called Kawada about when the Athlete's meeting was going to be held, he told me that he had already signed a contract, so I couldn't bring myself to talk about it and stopped talking about coming tomorrow for the meeting.  
Q: What are your thoughts on All Japan and what are your thoughts on Baba-san? 
TAUE: Until now, I have been raised by All Japan, so I feel that I am both very grateful, and sorry to Baba-san. It figures that I am sorry for what I have done to Baba-san, but, I have my own life. I wonder if it would be strange to piggyback off of Baba-san forever, and after all, Misawa-san made a good plan, and so I decided to stick with it. Isn't that also my life? Which I should live on my own terms? Baba-san is no longer with us.
Q: A big gamble as a wrestler?
TAUE: I don't think of it as a gamble or anything like that. After all, this is my life, isn't it? Move on. It's okay.

KENTA KOBASHI
Q: Why did you leave All Japan? 
KOBASHI: Because that's what I myself wanted to do.
Q: Although you will need to give the Triple Crown up?
KOBASHI: I have always treasured the Triple Crown, and I am heartbroken that I must give up the belt that was the centre of my fight. But, even if I have to relinquish it, I want to pursue my ideal wrestling. Whether in or out of the ring, I will show you my ideal wrestling. You may think that it is only ideal, but that kind of thing is becoming a reality bit by bit, so I would like to pursue it.
Q: Awareness that you are burning
KOBASHI: I have it in my heart, always. 
Q: I think you have strong feelings for Baba-san. 
KOBASHI: I do, and I think it is thanks to Baba-san that I have come this far. Baba-san taught me pro wrestling from scratch, and I worked with him as an assistant*. Thank you for teaching me so many things. But nothing starts until you make a decision. I don't I can do anything if I hold back. I don't think I will be able to move forward. I think Baba-san understands that. I want you to see what I am going to do from now on. Don't let Baba-san say "What is this?" I hope he says "Good job".
Q: How do you feel about your fans?
KOBASHI: I am truly sorry for worrying my fans. I want you to see me in the future, as to how hard it was for me to relinquish the Triple Crown belt, it may not be right for me to ask you to take this kind of action, but it was really hard. My love for the belt has become the symbol of a new era, and giving it back really hurts. However, since I decided to continue working toward the realization of a new ideal of professional wrestling, I had no choice but to do so.
Q: Will Kenta Kobashi's professional wrestling continue even in a new environment?
KOBASHI: I don't think my professional wrestling, which came from All Japan Pro Wrestling, will ever change, and basically, I want to perfect the new pro wrestling by basically wrestling.  Even though I had no choice but to eliminate what had become a good form for this new era, I had no choice but to do so in order to carry on with my ideal of professional wrestling.

JUN AKIYAMA
Q: Did you decide from the beginning to join the Misawa faction? 
AKIYAMA: I think it would be nice to be in the best form at All Japan, but considering what I want to do, it's quite difficult. I think its the same for me and Omori*, and I think it is because of Misawa-san, that I can say things like that in a big way. I think it figures Misawa-san is the one who wants to continue to be himself. From my point of view, I would like to act in a way that will bring the company into the best possible shape, and I am also thinking about what I can do to achieve that*. I think I have my own ideas, but what I'm thinking most about right now is how to make this the best promotion possible, even if I change my fighting style.
Q: Your partner, Mossman, has stayed with All Japan, but what is your future blueprint, including partner issues?
AKIYAMA: I know his situation more or less, that's the path he chose, so that's fine, and it would be nice if there was something I could do to take care of him*. Including my partners, I want to work so that this next promotion will be the best form.
Q: Will the single with Kobashi be carried over?
AKIYAMA: Since Kobashi-san is here, I think it can be done anytime. I guess I have to think about what kind of situation is the best way to go about it, and then there will be discussions with Kobashi-san, but I don't know.
Q: To be honest, are you worried?
AKIYAMA: No. I think everyone is like that, and I have a feeling that I should do. Well, it's certainly unwise to say that I don't want to get along, but expectations and so on are more important. Up until now, I'm sure it's been difficult to get through to the bottommost opinion, but Misawa-san will probably listen to Marufuji's opinion as well. I don't think everything will go exactly as planned, but I think that everyone will listen to my opinions, so I think it's easy for everyone to get along.
Q: All Japan, Triple Crown, and the World Tag Titles will be lost.
AKIYAMA: It's sad to say the least, but my expectations are higher than that. I think that approaching that name is an extraordinary thing, and it takes time. But, I would like to make it so that it can be done just like that.
Q: Any suggestions for Misawa-san?
AKIYAMA: I think that Misawa-san knows about everyone, I think everyone understands that. But if something happens in the meantime, I will be sure to tell Misawa-san. 
Q: What about the situation where there are no matches until the launch? 
AKIYAMA: It's the first time since I entered pro wrestling, other than getting injured, that I haven't wrestled this many matches. On the other hand, I feel refreshed, and I have a lot to think about, so I think 2 months is a good time. 
Q: Message to the fans? 
AKIYAMA: I have no intention of retiring, so if there are people who support me, even if I have come here, I'd like to do my best.

TAKAO OMORI
Q: What made you decide to leave?
OMORI: Well, I had a lot of questions about the ideal environment, or rather when I was having matches in All Japan...what to say...not to mention the fact that I was invited, from now on, I think there are more possibilities than staying in All Japan.  
Q: Is that the first reason? 
OMORI: Yes, but what I was aiming for was the top five* or the Four Heavenly Kings. I haven't beaten him yet, so even if he remains in All Japan, there is no chance of that happening*.
Q: How do you feel about All Japan and Baba-san now?
OMORI: Regarding Baba-san, I don't feel bad about the fact that I've changed promotions like this. I want to have matches where I feel the most comfortable, I'm sure that Baba-san will be happy with this too. 
Q: Do you have any concerns about working with a new promotion?
OMORI: I agree, but there is always time, right? Everything hasn't been decided yet. However, I believe that there is a better future than continuing with All Japan.
Q: A word to the fans? 
OMORI: I don't plan on changing the style that I'm aiming for just by changing company. Nothing will change, so I hope you don't worry about it at all. 

YOSHIHIRO TAKAYAMA
"As you can see from the members who came yesterday, that there are quite a few people, so don't worry. This time, I'm here from the beginning, so I can do it the way I want. I want to fight a super baby face named Kenta Kobashi. I want to fight with Mitsuharu Misawa. Only by fighting against such people can I become Yoshihiro Takayama. Anxiety? This is what I'm used to (laughs)"

YOSHINARI OGAWA  
"For the past two years, President Misawa and I have always worked together as Untouchables*, so I fully understand the president's desire to create new things that cannot be done under the name of All Japan, and I feel the same way. At the time of the SWS turmoil (mass walkout)*, I was still a rookie and didn't know what to expect, but the situation was completely different from that time, and I don't think my actions now will betray Baba-san. I don't know if the name "Untouchable" will remain in the future, but for me, the strong feeling that what I've done there is still in progress is the main reason why I decided to work with the president again this time. I will continue to assert myself through fights in the ring.

MITSUO MOMOTA
"Like I said at the press conference, I think it all comes down to the fact that this many people are working together with President Misawa. At the athlete's meeting on the 15th, no one hesitated (about the future). President Misawa is a clean person, not someone who acts for his own self interests. Anxiety about the future? Wrestlers are inherently lone wolves, and when I was young, I experienced overseas training without any guarantees, so the only thing I'm worried about is my longevity as an wrestler (laughs), and nothing else.*"

RUSHER KIMURA
"As everyone has said, is this the decision you made? I made the decision myself. President Misawa has often talked with me about how he would become president, and he would always ask me what I should do to make athletes and employees better. My feelings naturally moved in this way, but it wasn't like I was moved or invited by anyone. I am very grateful to Baba-san since we teamed up by and by. I am still determined to do my best.

TSUYOCHI KIKUCHI
"I made this decision because I wanted to follow Misawa-san. I'm full of hope. If I'm anxious, I can't do anything. I want to take on various challenges with hope. I think you'll understand if you watch it. As a result, I wonder how the fans will support me later. I think depending on that, you will naturally understand the pros and cons of this decision."

NOTES
Taue's concerns: Taue would end up running Noah in the aftermath of Misawa's death, he would deal with scandal, walkouts (from Jun Akiyama and Kenta Kobashi, who took talent with them) and severe money troubles. Taue turned into an old man overnight and had a rigid pinched pose with a clenched expression, a drawn and tired face and perpetually balled fists. Toshiaki Kawada believes that the stomach cancer that Taue subsequently suffered was due to the stress of running Noah. These days however, Taue is in a lot happier situation, he runs a family restaurant, delights in his grandchildren and is often visited by the next generation of Noah, who come to eat at his establishment.
Kobashi as Baba's assistant: Baba was not very welcoming at first to Kobashi, who (at the instance of some of the seniors in All Japan, including The Great Kabuki and Mitsuo Momota) had replaced an assistant they didn't like, but Baba did. Baba was initially very hostile to Kobashi, which broke Kobashi's heart, but eventually warmed to him. As for the replaced assistant, he punched Kobashi in the mouth, which made it very hard for Kobashi to eat when Baba took him out for a meal. 
Omori: Takao Omori. 
Jun Akiyama's comment: Ironic
Mossman in Noah, Akiyama's care: Mossman would come to Noah in 2004 when he faced Mitsuharu Misawa and Yoshinari Ogawa ("Untouchable") for the GHC Heavyweight Tag Titles. He would team with Keiji Mutoh. After Misawa's death he fought Jun Akiyama in 2011 for the Triple Crown. His last appearance was in 2018 when he teamed with The Aggression (Katsuhiko Nakajima and Masa Kitamiya) against KAZMA SAKAMOTO, Go Shiozaki and a young teenaged Kaito Kiyomiya.
Top Five: Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada, Kenta Kobashi and Akira Taue were "The Four Pillars of Wrestling", Jun Akiyama was sometimes called "The Fifth Pillar".
Toshiaki Kawada and Takao Omori: This would happen in All Japan in 2004 for the Triple Crown. 
SWS Walkout: Genichiro Tenryu's "Super World of Sports", which fortunately Yoshinari Ogawa did not leave All Japan for.
Mitsuo Momota: At the time of writing , he is still going strong at 75, despite a diagnosis of terminal lung cancer. 

(Translated from Weekly Pro/Picture Credit - Weekly Pro)

Comments