(NOAH)"Desire to change", Yoshiki Inamura announces a "major change" to return to Japan, and goes on an indefinite overseas tour


30th August 2023
Pro Wrestling DX

After finishing the N-1 VICTORY 2023, with an unexpected loss of all seven matches, Yoshiki Inamura has decided to go on an indefinite overseas excursion. His send off match at the 3rd September Osaka match, (Yoshiki Inamura, Yuki Yoshioka & Yuma Anzai vs Naomichi Marufuji, Takashi Sugiura & Masa Kitamiya), will be the last before he goes to England. We asked him about his background and aspirations behind his decision to train abroad at the age of 30, five years into his career, and his thoughts on the send-off match.

Interview with Yoshiki Inamura 

Q: What are your honest thoughts about the overseas expedition?
INAMURA: Go abroad to break out of the current situation and become stronger. That's it.
Q: When did you start feeling the need to go abroad?
INAMURA: When the N-1 started, I had no intention of going overseas because I was planning to win all matches, but as the losing streak continued gradually I felt the need to change, and the option of going overseas came to mind. 
Q: Before the N-1, a breakthrough was expected, but in the end it was a total loss of seven matches.
INAMURA: I should have come into this year's N-1 with more or less self-confidence, but as I fought, I realized my lack of strength. What am I missing? I don't even know what I'm missing, and the days were just filled with defeat. 
Q: At the N-1 there was the message from Kenoh when he said, "The company may not have expectations for you, so you should rise to the top on your own. I'll be waiting",
INAMURA: That's what I thought too. Perhaps it was because of Kenoh-san's words that the option of going overseas came to me.
Q: Jake Lee also suggested, "Maybe you should change something"
INAMURA: I already know best about myself. I was worried all the time during the N-1 period, and even when I heard those words, I thought "I know!". "I have to change" is what I think most strongly.
Q: What made you decide to go to England in the first place?
INAMURA: There are a lot of foreign wrestlers coming to Noah right now, so there were various possibilities to explore. Of course, I consulted with other promotions, but the UK was the one that I was able to get in touch with quickly, and work out a match. There are a lot of wrestlers coming to Japan from the UK right now, and a big event (AEW) was held just the other day, so I felt that the fever for pro wrestling in this area was growing...so, first of all I decided to go to England. 
Q: Would you like to visit other countries besides the UK?
INAMURA: Yes. I have no intention of going back until I'm satisfied. If I have a chance, I would like to try it in other countries besides England.
Q: Once again, what is the piece you are missing now? 
INAMURA: Experience I think. I think there are many wrestlers who are active in Japan today, who have had experience overseas. Up until now, I've been given opportunities in Noah, but that alone hasn't fully allowed me to grasp my strengths. So, I would like to gain more experience on my own, find what I am lacking, and fill it in.
Q: Did you originally want to go abroad?
INAMURA: Yes, I only started thinking about it specifically recently, but I've had a desire to see the world for quite some time.
Q: Are you worried about living abroad?
INAMURA: No, I want the experience. I am going with that in mind, and the just the feeling of "I'm going to do it"
Q: On September 3rd in Osaka, a send off match has been set up with yourself, Yuki Yoshioka & Yuma Anzai vs Naomichi Marufuji, Takashi Sugiura & Masa Kitamiya.
INAMURA: I'm glad that I have been given a send off match, and that my opponents are Marufuji-san, who is the symbol of Noah, Sugiura-san, who is the symbol of strength, and Kitamiya-san, who has taught me many things since my debut. I'm really grateful to be able to fight against these three before I go overseas. 
Q: Teaming up with two people from other promotions who you have never teamed up with before, seems like a dry run for an overseas expedition.
INAMURA: Yes. These two wrestlers competed in the N-1 from other promotions and showed off their strengths. I would like to compete in the send off match while taking advantage of that inspiration. 
Q: You will say goodbye for a while to this familiar dojo.
INAMURA (looking back at the dojo): Well, this is the dojo that I have come to every day since I started. I love this dojo. Even though I had the option of training at a gym, I always came here to practice no matter what. It's the place that truly nurtured me. The tires (used in strong strong man training) is also one of the triggers to change myself. But I'd like to get away from this dojo and the tires, jump into a new environment and have a great practice, even after that.
Q: Do you have a sense of leaving home?
INAMURA: Yes, the dojo is my "home". I spent more time here than in the dormitory. When I was a trainee, it was a place I didn't want to come to because it was tiring, but except for when I was sleeping, I spent most of my waking hours here. 
Q: There was also the phrase, "Please forget me until I return", but is there any meaning in saying goodbye to Yoshiki Inamura, who was born and raised at the Noah dojo?
INAMURA: Yes. I won't come back until I am truly satisfied. I want to change. I want to change myself. That's why I said, "I want you to forget me", even in the sense of pushing myself.
Q: So, are you planning to come back with a big transformation?
INAMURA: Of course, because I have a strong desire to change.
Q: Please give a message to your fans once again
INAMURA: I think I caused a lot of frustration to the fans who supported me, but I will go on an overseas expedition and once I am satisfied, I will come back even stronger. Therefore, I would like you to make sure that you watch the send off match. Thank you!

Comments