(NOAH) "Win against Ospreay, and move on to the title front" Naomichi Marufuji, celebrating twenty-five years since his debut, has a new determination.


14th September 2023
Tokyo Sports

Noah's Naomichi Marufuji (43) celebrated his 25th anniversary this year, and revealed his new determination. At his 25th anniversary show, to be held at Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, on the 17th, he will clash in a singles match with New Japan's IWGP US Heavyweight Champion, Will Ospreay (30). What are the ambitions of the genius, who continues to take on challenges even after reaching milestones, both as a wrestler and as Vice President of Noah? 

Q: You debuted in All Japan in August 1998. It's been twenty-five years since then.
MARUFUJI: Giant Baba said to me, "Can you make your debut?" and I said, "Yes, I can!" That's when my professional wrestling career started. Although I may not be as physically as good as when I debuted at the age of 18, I'm still a lot younger emotionally. It's natural that the training is tough, but it was a job that I've always admired, so I've never once thought about quitting. Although the time was short, being able to interact with Baba-san was a treasure. I was lucky enough to find pro wrestling, and I truly believe that is my calling.
Q: With three years left, you will catch up with the late Mitsuharu Misawa's career of twenty-eight years. 
MARUFUJI: That's a big thing for me. It's because of Misawa-san, that I've been at Noah for so long, and I compare myself to Misawa's way of life in many ways. However, I am myself, so if I think my performance is getting difficult, I think it is time to quit.
Q: How is your body feeling now? 
MARUFUJI: I haven't had anything be perfect in the past ten years, so I am at level where I can cover it with my feelings. Well but in a 100 years, I might only be able to move a little (laughs). 
Q: At the 25th anniversary of your debut show, you will face Ospreay, who has a great respect for you.
MARUFUJI: I'm honestly happy that Ospreay, a world-famous professional wrestler, calls me "my hero". As a pro wrestler, it's a great blessing for me. But on that matter, he knows me so well, so on the day of the match, I have to use my pro wrestling brains to the best of my ability and do something that he wouldn't have thought of in order to win. So, if I can beat Ospreay, I will gain even more confidence and move into the title race. I want to show young children that they can work a little harder without relying completely on others. 
Q: As a promotion, what are your future goals? 
MARUFUJI: I want to hold overseas shows. I think it's a way to increase a number of fans, and I want to do something that will lead to the future by giving today's young wrestlers lots of outside experience. 
Q: X (formerly Twitter) was appealing for female athletes to participate in the promotion.
MARUFUJI: Recently, we've been having female wrestlers compete in big matches, and got good feedback from the customers. I think we should learn by observing the hungry spirit of the female wrestlers who immediately responded to my invitation. I think wrestlers who can do a bit of flying are more interesting, and I have high hopes for such wrestlers, regardless of whether they are freelancers, affiliated with a promotion, male or female. 
Q: Will there be a Women's GHC Championship? 
MARUFUJI: It would be interesting to hear more and more people speak up about it, and it would be interesting if someone came along who did it to the extent that Noah had no choice but to make it.

Comments