(NOAH ALL JAPAN WALKOUT) "I can't throw away the name of All Japan" - Kawada announces that he will remain

Weekly Pro
4th July 2000

"It struck me that I couldn't shake off the name that Baba-san had created, All Japan Pro Wrestling..."

On Wednesday, June 14th, just after 5pm, Toshiaki Kawada held a press conference at All Japan Pro Wrestling's office in Minato Ward, Tokyo, and revealed the fact that he had signed a contract with All Japan Pro Wrestling. The previous day, at a board meeting held in Tokyo, President Mitsuharu Misawa and six other directors announced their resignation. In response to this, All Japan Pro Wrestling reportedly informed their affiliated wrestlers by phone that they had begun renewing their contracts, which had been delayed since that day. However, only Toshiaki Kawada and Masanobu Fuchi actually visited the office (Fuchi's contract was renewed on the 16th.) Below is a reprint of Kawada's press conference.

KAWADA: Anything? 
Q: Did you renew your contract today? 
KAWADA: Yes
Q: Six other directors resigned at yesterday's board meeting, but why did you remain with All Japan?
KAWADA: Hmmm...I can't just throw away the name that Baba-san created, All Japan Pro Wrestling...
Q: Is is a sense of duty to protect All Japan? 
KAWADA: That being said, that kind of thing doesn't suit me, so I'm free to do whatever I want.
Q: What did you discuss with Motoko-san? 
KAWADA: I'll talk about that again after a little more time has passed.
Q: Did you feel any dismay after the resignation of the executives?
KAWADA: Of what kind? 
Q: You make everyone who wants to leave stay, or you take action yourself? (note, does not translate well)
KAWADA: I didn't think much about it, but like I said at the beginning, I honestly felt that I couldn't throw away the name of All Japan Pro Wrestling. 
Q: Misawa has confirmed his intention to leave the promotion, and you will now be parting ways.
KAWADA: Hmmm...so, if Misawa-san continues to develop, I think that's a good thing. 
Q: Misawa resigned as vice president, and you are in the position of vice chairman, but but is there anything that has been decided on a company level?
KAWADA: Personally, I would like to do my best as a wrestler rather than in that position, so if possible, I would like to resign as an executive as soon as possible.
Q: Although the number of people leaving is overwhelmingly large, what do you think about the near future of All Japan? 
KAWADA: For me personally, like I said earlier, the biggest thing was that I couldn't throw away the name. But from now on, how should I say, honestly, I just want to be able to work in a free position*
Q: Didn't you consult with other wrestlers? For example, asking them to stay?
KAWADA: Not at all. There was no discussion at all. 
Q: Do you feel like you are going to make every effort of making someone who wants to leave, stay? 
KAWADA: No, I think that asking someone in and then making them stay when they want to leave, changes that person's life...I don't really like that kind of thing.
Q: You said you were in a free position, but does that mean you will be joining other promotions? (Note, this question roughly means that you said you have the freedom to do what you please, so will you be going to other promotions?)
KAWADA: No, I haven't even thought about that, but I think it's a matter of discussion as to how things will proceed from there. 
Q: Did you feel burdened by concurrently serving as vice president for the past year?
KAWADA: That's why I, too, would like to be allowed to resign as soon as possible.
Q: Did you feel that from the beginning? 
KAWADA: Yes, I have always thought that as an wrestler, I wanted to do it as a wrestler. 
Q: Which wrestlers are staying at All Japan at this point? 
KAWADA: Well, I don't know. I don't know. 
Q: Will there be any negotiations with the wrestlers who are going out soon for the July series*?
KAWADA: For me personally, no. 
Q: The company?
KAWADA: I'll leave it to them. 
Q: I'm sure the fans are worried about this kind of turmoil, but do you have a message?
KAWADA: Please support me as long as I can do my best
Q: I'm sure you're thinking about a lot of things in the current situation, but are you worried?
KAWADA: That's why I don't want to think about it, yeah. Also, I will talk about the details later, so that's all I have to say for today.
Q: Does this mean that you will see through the series starting July 1st?
KAWADA: It figures that I have no choice but to do it, right? 

After the press conference, Kawada left the office and headed straight for training, saying, "I don't want to be unable to practice just because something like this happens." When I asked him about it, he told me that he had been preparing to practice in advance, with an eye on the series that starts on July 1st in Ariake*. All Japan intends to sign contracts with wrestlers, referees and ring announcers as usual until the end of the 16th. As of this day, only four people have announced that they will remain: Kawada, Fuchi (contacted by phone), referee Kyohei Wada, and ring announcer Fumito Kihara. All Japan was certain that a large number of people would leave, and have fallen into a situation where even the survival of the promotion itself is at stake. Additionally, at the same press conference, Motoko Baba released a statement, stating her own views. The idea is to request Misawa and the other wrestlers to participate in the next series. However, while there is currently little possibility that the All Japan side will resort to legal measures, the statement contains harsh language which stands out. The following day, on the 15th, the schedule for the next series and the participating foreign wrestlers was as announced, as a usual, the TV broadcast schedule was listed. Nippon Television official said that they would wait for a report from All Japan Pro Wrestling, and make a decision by the end of this week, but broadcasting will be discontinued on the 21st June. With only two affiliated wrestlers, and eight foreign wrestlers, it must be said that it will be difficult to hold the "Summer Action Series", which starts on July 1st. However, All Japan have emphasized that they will continue to hold the series as scheduled.

MASANOBU FUCHI COMMENTS 
(16th June, All Japan Office)

FUCHI: I completed the contract today, and I'm going to report to Baba-san* now
Q: Baba-san's place in Ebisu*? 
FUCHI: Yeah, that's it. I guess that's about right (laughs) Anyway, I'm kind of shocked right now. I had gone to Kyushu for personal business, and my head was already a mess. I was shocked to see what was going on at that board meeting and on reading the newspaper. That's why I feel like this. Once I get my head together again, I'm sure we'll be able to talk about a lot of things, but for now, all I'm saying is that I'm going to go and report to Baba-san. 
Q: How is your relative feeling?
FUCHI: Thank you for asking (laugh). I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected, although the heart and kidneys are starting to weaken. I'm sorry for worrying you. 
Q: It's just the two of you, you and Kawada. 
FUCHI: Hey, well, we will do our best. That's all I can really say here. I'm still suffering from lack of sleep. I'm sorry.

The next part of this interview was done in the parking lot.

FUCHI: Was the press conference intense today?    
Q: I just went 
FUCHI: Ah, yes, well, I'll say it again. In public. Not here right now. I was just surprised. It's the first time something like this has happened even in All Japan Pro Wrestling. Well, anyway, today is almost done. I'm going to visit Baba-san, light some incense, and report that I've signed a new contract.   
Q: The series will start soon
FUCHI: Hmmm, well, I am a little worried. I wonder what's going on with them (Misawa and the others). I don't even read the newspapers that much. That's why I don't have any information, and they haven't come to me personally. Well, we all got together today and were talking about that, right? How is Kimura-san?*
Q: 25 wrestlers, and 26 people, including Mighty Inoue came (with Misawa). If the wrestlers who appeared in the July series do not appear, you may not continue to fight against Kimura-san.
FUCHI: Well, I can't think of anything right now. But it's tough, isn't it? (to the reporters) Are you here every day? 
Q: Kawada has said that he wants to quit his role as vice president, and start concentrating on being a wrestler from now on.
FUCHI: No...I didn't think that was even possible? Seriously?  
 
Notes
"Free position": Probably a dig at Misawa, as Kawada seems to be more voluble on that subject, more than anything else in this interview. 
"Series": A word Mitsuharu Misawa considered to be pointless to use (see "Donmai Domnai" 1st September 2006), so he didn't use it for Noah. I have kept it in to reflect All Japan at that time and the differences between both Noah and All Japan, and Misawa and Kawada.
Ariake: Differ Ariake, as in Noah's home.  
Fuchi's "Report to Baba-san", means that he will pray to him at a shrine (could even be a home or office one) and tell him the news. 
Ebisu: A ward in Shibuya, Tokyo, which is where the All Japan dojo was (and still is I believe)
Kimura: Rusher Kimura, who walked out with Misawa. 

Picture credit: Weekly Pro

Comments