(NOAH) "I'm the type that likes to have fun!" He gave me an innocent smile a few hours before the launch... Why am I so curious about Naomichi Marufuji?


Weekly Pro
22nd August 2000 (Issue 991)

This was my first time interviewing him, and I found Naomichi Marufuji to be a mysterious young man. 
I had seen him on a number of occasions with his rare athletic sense, his brilliant aerial techniques, and the courage in the ring that suits his career, but when I approached him to ask him how he felt the day before his inaugural match, Marufuji took a strange step, as if trying to avoid my gaze. Even so, as I continued to get closer, he pointed his index finger at himself as if to say, "Me?" Surely you haven't given up yet...."It feels so fresh. This type of feeling is good. I'm not nervous, I'm the type that likes to have fun]. Marufuji seemed to be very happy, and began chattering away. "Even if you're doing the same thing, adding something extra will make it better. I think it's easy to do new techniques, but even without them, you have to make it feel new". Although he had said this much, Marufuji's confidence seemed to waver a little, as he looked at me and said, "Do you understand?". 

Marufuji, illuminated by silver lights, pointed his index finger toward the audience and spread his arms wide. His posture was clearly a provocation to the audience, demanding their support. It was the image of a potential superstar. His appeal was not going unchecked, and while not to mention his splendid aerial techniques, Marufuji captured the attention of the audience even when he was being beaten down. Surely this is the course of the Ark, heading towards the future. 

Interview by Tetsuya Kōno
Picture credits: Weekly Pro

Comments