(NOAH) Yoshinari Ogawa, who retired in 2024, gave an interview following New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s Ryohei Oiwa’s victory in the G1 Climax.
Pro Wrestling DX
18th August 2026
Oiwa competed in Noah for about a year, starting in September 2023. Through this unusual "domestic excursion", he learned a great deal from Ogawa. After returning to New Japan, he was mentored by Zack Sabre Jnr, further honing the techniques he had acquired in "Ogawa's classroom."
Then, this summer, he conquered the G1 Climax. Beyond the impact of the arrival of a new star, the quality of his matches (which showcased the fruits of his technical mastery), also drew significant attention.
We spoke with Ogawa-san (now a coach at Noah) to hear the thoughts of the "mentor", regarding this long-awaited achievement by his prized pupil.
Q: Oiwa has won the G1.
OGAWA: I'm happy for him, I watched his matches.
Q: You coached Oiwa for about a year, starting in September 2023, during his excursion to Noah.
OGAWA: Even after returning to New Japan, he'd still come to the Noah dojo once or twice a month.
Q: Oiwa said, "I’ve taken the techniques I learned from Ogawa-san and evolved them in my own way."
OGAWA: That’s true. What I taught him served as the foundation, but he’s a smart guy, too. He put in the effort and thought things through for himself. Even when watching his matches, I’d find myself thinking, 'Oh, so that’s how he’s playing it?' and really enjoying it.
Q: Was it also a major factor that, upon returning to New Japan, he was in an environment where he could learn from Zack Sabre Jr.?
OGAWA: Isn't the fact that he returned to New Japan and could be with Zack more significant than anything I actually taught him?
Watching yesterday's match (the G1 final), I saw Zack watching closely from ringside. But there were moments where he looked frustrated, like he was thinking, 'If it were me, I'd do it *this* way!' It was actually entertaining to watch Zack while watching Oiwa's match (laughs). Of course, there's a huge gap in experience between Zack and Oiwa, so it’s a bit unfair to compare them..."
Q: The fact that two young wrestlers electrified the final stage of the G1 with a "classical" style also drew significant attention.
OGAWA: "Classical," huh? Well, the guys who go around calling their style "classical" are often the very ones who can't actually pull off a proper pro-wrestling match. People talk about "classical" a lot—I heard it back when I was Oiwa's age, too. People would say, "Your wrestling is really classical." That was, what, 35 years ago? If Oiwa wrestles that way now, it's called "classical," and when I wrestled that way 35 years ago, it was called "classical," too. "It might sound strange, but I imagine Oiwa himself feels that way more than anyone, doesn't he?"
Q: The match content—showcasing variations of fundamental moves like headlocks, wrist locks, and arm drags, stood in stark contrast to current trends in professional wrestling.
OGAWA: I thought that sort of thing was standard, so I didn't find it particularly new or amazing—it was just, 'Yeah, matches like that happen.' On the other hand, given the power and physique Oiwa has, you’d expect him to have even more spectacular moves, so I did think, 'Huh, he’s actually using a headlock?' But I suppose that’s exactly what made it feel fresh.
Q: Unexpectedly, the spotlight has also fallen on the experience gained during his training stint in Noah.
OGAWA: But you know, there isn't a single person in Noah right now, who can wrestle the way Oiwa did yesterday. Dory Funk Jr. (who passed away recently) was my teacher, and it feels like the style of wrestling I learned from Dory is being passed down from me to Oiwa. If you compare Dory’s matches with Oiwa’s, I think you’d see they’re doing the same kind of things.
Q: Speaking of Oiwa, there's also Kiyomiya; he's another wrestler you taught, isn't he?
OGAWA: I tried teaching Kiyomiya, too, but he’s gone off in a completely different direction, and there’s a huge gap between him and Oiwa now. Oiwa has really pulled ahead. After all, there’s a world of difference between a wrestler who’s happy just beating a rookie in the opening match and one who wins the G1. But anyway, we’re talking about Oiwa here, so let’s leave Kiyomiya out of it.
Q: Finally, if you have any words of encouragement for Oiwa, we would appreciate it.
OGAWA: I think you should just stay as you are—just the way you are now. And if anything comes up, well, Zach is right there close by.


Comments
Post a Comment
Spam will be deleted immediately