(VON ERICH) The eldest son of the Von Erich family speaks about "New Japan, Dallas, Brody, and family."
11th February 1986 (Issue No. 130)
KEVIN: Previously, it was my very first time in New Japan, and the day after arriving in Japan, I immediately flew to Sapporo, had one match, and then rushed back to Dallas, right? I was exhausted from the long journey, and on top of that, I had very little prior knowledge of Fujinami and Kimura. My father always told me that American and Japanese styles were quite different.
WEEKLY PRO: This is your second time participating in a New Japan series. You are about to start serious matches against Fujinami and Kimura, so let's start with that today.
KEVIN: That was my very first time in a New Japan ring. I flew straight to Sapporo the day after arriving in Japan, wrestled the match, and then turned right around and headed back to Dallas, you know? My body was sluggish from the long trip, and on top of that, I didn't have much prior knowledge about Fujinami or Kimura. My dad always told me that American and Japanese styles are vastly different, but I just stick to doing things my own way. I don't know how that tag match in Sapporo came across to the fans, though...
WEEKLY PRO: Among the foreign wrestlers who have stepped into the New Japan ring recently, you exuded the essence of American pro-wrestling more than anyone else—so much so that you were positively dazzling.
KEVIN: Haha, is that so? That’s good to hear. Even after I stepped into the ring, I wasn't sure myself whether I was a babyface or a heel. That’s actually one of the major differences between the American and Japanese wrestling scenes.
WEEKLY PRO: I don't think being a babyface or a heel matters much in a Japanese ring. Japanese pro-wrestling fans only value wrestlers who put on a good fight in the ring.
KEVIN: That certainly seems to be the case. It appears that the kind of psychology used to really fire up the crowd hasn't played much of a role in Japanese pro-wrestling.
WEEKLY PRO: I don't think that's true. Inoki and Fujinami are geniuses at taking fans on an emotional rollercoaster through their in-ring battles. They are the quintessential representatives of the Japanese style.
KEVIN: The way I see it, Japanese wrestlers tend to execute move after move with a completely expressionless face.
WEEKLY PRO: Since you compete in Dallas as the local ace and an absolute babyface, is it difficult for you to fully unleash your abilities in Japan?
KEVIN: That’s not the case at all. If I wanted to go all-out with technical moves, I could do it right away, and if I wanted to play rough, I could do that too. I grew up right alongside professional wrestling. I can do whatever I want to do.
WEEKLY PRO: Is your brother Kerry the same way?
KEVIN: Yes. We can handle any style. I’m starting to understand why Bruiser Brody became a star in Japan. Brody was a tough, rough, and mean wrestler—but if he wanted to, he could pull off any move.
WEEKLY PRO: Speaking of Brody, is he still wrestling in the Dallas World Class territory?
KEVIN: Yes, focusing mainly on the big matches. Aside from Dallas, we’re also running shows in San Antonio, Kansas, and St. Louis.
WEEKLY PRO: So, in addition to the Dallas area, you’re promoting matches in the East as well—places like Boston, Rhode Island, and the suburbs of New York.
KEVIN: *World Class TV* is currently airing in 75 major U.S. cities. We’re in a position to launch operations anywhere in the country the moment I get the green light from my dad. For the time being, though, we’re focusing our efforts on the East Coast.
WEEKLY PRO: So, you’re saying the WWF isn’t the only one aiming to conquer the U.S. market?
KEVIN: It’s not just the WWF; the Crockett faction of the NWA is trying to do the exact same thing. Because Crockett is hogging Flair all to himself, that World Championship belt has become completely meaningless by now. Then again, it wouldn't bother us one bit if Flair never came to Dallas...
WEEKLY PRO: You seem incredibly confident.
KEVIN: The old NWA and the Crockett-era NWA are completely different things. Mid-Atlantic expanded its territory—much like the WWF did—to the point where the wrestlers' schedules became gruelling, far beyond anything seen before. I saw Flair on TV recently, and it looks like he’s really developed a paunch. Pro wrestling is a sport for young athletes. Dallas puts that philosophy into practice.
WEEKLY PRO: Last year, the Dallas roster went on a tour of Israel, didn't they?
KEVIN: Yes, in Israel I even met President Herzog. Since professional wrestling is still a relatively new sport there, it was a truly rewarding tour. This year, I’m also scheduled to tour Nigeria in West Africa, South Africa, and Jordan in the Middle East.
WEEKLY PRO: With such a demanding schedule, how can you come to Japan regularly?
KEVIN: I can't participate in the entire tour series, but I’ll definitely be coming to Japan. We’re expanding into the East Coast, touring Africa and the Middle East, and hitting the Japan circuit. Also, we’re planning another David Memorial event at Texas Stadium in Dallas this June. It’s set to be the biggest event a Dallas-based promoter has ever staged. You can really look forward to it.
WEEKLY PRO: How is Mike doing while he's out of action due to illness?
KEVIN: He’s finally recovered enough to start weight training. The first challenge is getting his weight back to where it was, so a comeback is likely going to take some time. But fortunately, Lance Von Erich is really taking off in the Dallas area right now, so Mike can afford to take his time rebuilding his physique.
WEEKLY PRO: The Freebirds have returned to the Dallas territory, too.
KEVIN: The feud between the Freebirds and the trio of myself, Kerry, and Lance will likely be the main storyline for the first half of the year. I’m the brains behind the Von Erich family—I’ve got my hands full!



Comments
Post a Comment
Spam will be deleted immediately